Spyder has arrived

AndyI1

On 3/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, lawrencequinn said:

Here is a photo of the car after my new plate was fitted.

99A84F58-9E5F-45D4-90EB-78756F858CE2.jpeg

Very nice!! Did you find it straightforward to be able to buy one? I suspect I was just incredibly lucky. 

I've noticed that the engine in mine is taking much longer to get warm up than I expected. My previous 981S would be fully warmed up after 3 miles whereas the Spyder is taking 10 miles so far. It's something I'll keep an eye on, but I'm interested to know what your experience is. 

I found it very difficult to get one. Luckily I have a good relationship with my OPC but they made it clear that this was an invite to purchase model. I had my £5k deposit down for a year before I was told if I was getting one. Finance people were really pushy. My OPC told me last week they only have one more Spyder coming this year. 
I have only done 150 miles but on my 35 mile loop today it didn’t appear to take any longer to heat up than my 987. Really keen to get some miles in. 

I think the 718 allocation is even worse. I was offered a physical cancelled GT4 but I had to buy it there and then on the day so opportunities like yours do arise. I just don't understand how the flippers get to the top of the queue. I am waiting for things to return to normal before I book my PEC visit , but will they still have a Spyder?

22 hours ago, AndyI1 said:

I've noticed that the engine in mine is taking much longer to get warm up than I expected. My previous 981S would be fully warmed up after 3 miles whereas the Spyder is taking 10 miles so far. It's something I'll keep an eye on, but I'm interested to know what your experience is. 

Are you sure you're comparing the same temp - coolant or oil?  I have had two 981's and while the coolant can be up to temp in about 3 miles the oil takes around 8-10 miles - and it's the oil I take note of, no full throttle or high revs until the oil is up around 90C.

39 minutes ago, Gorsh said:

Are you sure you're comparing the same temp - coolant or oil?  I have had two 981's and while the coolant can be up to temp in about 3 miles the oil takes around 8-10 miles - and it's the oil I take note of, no full throttle or high revs until the oil is up around 90C.

I've always had both temperatures displayed and don't recall there being a significant lag between the two and nothing like the difference you've described. However, it's a good question and I'll be having a close look at what happens the next few times I go out. My personal rule was to limit revs to 3K untill the temperatures stabilised.

9 hours ago, lawrencequinn said:

I think the 718 allocation is even worse. I was offered a physical cancelled GT4 but I had to buy it there and then on the day so opportunities like yours do arise. I just don't understand how the flippers get to the top of the queue. I am waiting for things to return to normal before I book my PEC visit , but will they still have a Spyder?

The commonly held view seems to be that you get to the top of the GT car queue by being a big spender with Porsche. It's one of the reasons why I had never expected to get the chance of buying a new Spyder. At one point around the end of last year there were 10 718 Spyders for sale on Autotrader!! Now some of the original owners may have had second thoughts but I doubt that all 10 had........it is a fabulous car after all!!

I spoke to PEC in January and they had a Spyder then. I don't anticipate going until mid year.

• 1 month later...

Just two on Autotrader at the moment and both well over £90k...!

With one more in the OPC network at £100k for a 2019 model with 2790 miles on!

They seem to be really scarce at the moment, so glad I grabbed the opportunity to buy a brand new one at list price - I could probably flip it tight now and make several grand!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 9:35 AM, Spyderman 718 said:

Just two on Autotrader at the moment and both well over £90k...!

With one more in the OPC network at £100k for a 2019 model with 2790 miles on!

They seem to be really scarce at the moment, so glad I grabbed the opportunity to buy a brand new one at list price - I could probably flip it tight now and make several grand!

But of course you're not going to...........