SHOCK!!!!!! I think my local OPC is managed by Dick Turpin

alank

12 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

I've had x3 KTM Super Duke R's then a 1290 SAS prior to the GS (I've a garage full of 2 strokes aside from the modern diesel) and went off IL4's some years back now.  I just don't get much enjoyment out of them.  Had V4's and V2's, boxers etc over recent years and prefer these motors.

Having said that I did try the R1M which was nice and opted for a Aprilia RSV4 RF instead.  The new SthouRR  I will try but the latest SthouR doesn;t have the shift cam - don't get that unless BMW want to keep distance between the two models.

Next weekend should be 15 degrees warmer than today, so maybe get out then.

Mechanic at local BMW dealer said they are seeing quite a few problems with the new S1000RR.

Had a V4 in the VFR800, bought for taking Lynn pillion. Nice engine but too much of an hp drop coming from a ZX10R. Was glad when she decided pillion was not for her.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Yes, they weld held in the showroom for a while with a recall - can't remember what the recall was though.

They had original crankcase problems so that held them back for ages. A recall for oil leaks from the oil cooler too but that were a certain batch

On 2/12/2021 at 4:13 PM, EXY said:

Hmmm, one of the guys I am talking about is George McMillen who is just about the most senior tech that Porsche and Toyota rely on when their own guys can not find the problem, some of the tales he told regarding Porsche's latest models and their trouble shooting LONG LONG LONG after he stopped working for our local OPC are legend.

George was PCGB Region 27 Technical expert back in the day when wifey and I were committee members.

Might not seem like it but I am agreeing with you, it seems it is the way of the world.

When I bought my car I had George do the inspection. He advised replacing the clutch but interestingly advised AGAINST replacing the IMS bearing. His view was that if it's lasted 15 years it would have gone by now and if on inspection there are no signs of failure it's best to leave be. 

2 hours ago, dpg123 said:

When I bought my car I had George do the inspection. He advised replacing the clutch but interestingly advised AGAINST replacing the IMS bearing. His view was that if it's lasted 15 years it would have gone by now and if on inspection there are no signs of failure it's best to leave be. 

This is very interesting and counter to everything I've read on this forum. Can I ask how many miles the car has done and how much history you have?

Mine is 15 yrs old, 47,000 miles, FPSH & I suspect it's been driven gently. 

4 minutes ago, McDonald said:

This is very interesting and counter to everything I've read on this forum. Can I ask how many miles the car has done and how much history you have?

Mine is 15 yrs old, 47,000 miles, FPSH & I suspect it's been driven gently. 

It's a 2004S manual, 68k when I bought it in 2016, 82k now. It's got a very thorough history, annual services (the official schedule on 2002+ 986's changed to every 2 yrs) and an average of 4k miles between these (so it's had 17 oil changes now). The RMS and IMS seal were both replaced when the clutch was done and the IMS bearing was checked for play and if it was weeping etc. 

George said that they were never intended to be servicable items, the new ones have recommended life spans and what's to say the new one doesn't have a defect or gets damaged during install. If he was doing a rebuild he says thats when he'd change it.

I get both sides of the argument - I did follow George's advice though because he's an expert and I'm not! 

2 hours ago, dpg123 said:

It's a 2004S manual, 68k when I bought it in 2016, 82k now. It's got a very thorough history, annual services (the official schedule on 2002+ 986's changed to every 2 yrs) and an average of 4k miles between these (so it's had 17 oil changes now). The RMS and IMS seal were both replaced when the clutch was done and the IMS bearing was checked for play and if it was weeping etc. 

George said that they were never intended to be servicable items, the new ones have recommended life spans and what's to say the new one doesn't have a defect or gets damaged during install. If he was doing a rebuild he says thats when he'd change it.

I get both sides of the argument - I did follow George's advice though because he's an expert and I'm not! 

Thanks for giving such a detailed answer. I'm still perplexed about the way to go. At present I'm minded to set aside any concerns until the clutch wears out (there's no hint of that yet). It still troubles me as a lurking danger. Catastrophic engine failure is a horrible prospect in a gleaming machine that gives such pleasure on every journey. The advantage of having a leading expert examine your car is an enviable reassurance. I hope we both stay lucky.

On 2/13/2021 at 5:42 PM, Menoporsche said:

I don’t understand why the word “shock” is in the title. 

£700 for exhaust bolts  and £600 for Front Brake Pads, (Textra pads are £85 to buy for Front, and they obviously get them cheaper) £500 +  to fit ,   It was a bit of a shock for my first encounter with an OPC, suppose i should of expected it.  Think  i,ll  reconsider the Aventador,   the Lambo OPC is probably even worse.

53 minutes ago, alank said:

£700 for exhaust bolts  and £600 for Front Brake Pads, (Textra pads are £85 to buy for Front, and they obviously get them cheaper) £500 +  to fit ,   It was a bit of a shock for my first encounter with an OPC, suppose i should of expected it. 

;)  That's what I was getting at - OPC are not famous for low prices, Dick Turpin management appears to be the norm.

Archived