Changing settings through PCM

Bayernlarge

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I have a 2009 987.2 Boxster S with PCM 3.0, running v1.47

p95 of my printed PCM user guide is titled 'Individual vehicle settings (only available for sports cars)'

It says that if you press INFO, then OPTION there should be a menu allowing you to change automatic door locking, light options (inc DRL) and air con settings. You can also change things like rain sensor and multi-function steering wheel settings, but I don't have those options on my car.

I don't get any of these settings when I press the buttons - I only get one menu item which allows me to change the PCM settings.

I am missing something? Do I need additional options (Sports Chrono?) or a later software/firmware version? None of that is mentioned in the book.

Thanks in advance.

I think those options only wake up if you have something that includes the individual memory feature.  

Memory seats or sports chrono are two that do it. 

my previous car never had those options on the pcm, the current one does have the options (not sure about drl that was always on the on board computer).  This car has sports chrono so I assume that’s why. 

Think it’s the same manual for the cayenne pcm which is actually a different unit.  They have the Bluetooth audio profile for example. 

hard to work out what you should have (or could have - a lot of pcm functions like individual memory can be activated by someone with a piwis and a purchased code ) 

Thanks for all of your replies.

@Paul P is right, the manual is also for Cayennes. @Menoporsche - I think that’s what the ‘only for sports cars’ refers to.

Thanks for the link @iborguk - some very tempting stuff on there. Maybe for later though - I’ve only had my car for a few weeks, so it’s still plenty exciting enough for me for now.

@Paul P - when you say the DRL is on the onboard computer, do you mean controlled by the lower left stalk? I had a quick look on there and couldn’t see it there either. I’ll have to have another look.

15 minutes ago, Bayernlarge said:

Thanks for all of your replies.

@Paul P is right, the manual is also for Cayennes. @Menoporsche - I think that’s what the ‘only for sports cars’ refers to.

Thanks for the link @iborguk - some very tempting stuff on there. Maybe for later though - I’ve only had my car for a few weeks, so it’s still plenty exciting enough for me for now.

@Paul P - when you say the DRL is on the onboard computer, do you mean controlled by the lower left stalk? I had a quick look on there and couldn’t see it there either. I’ll have to have another look.

Yes.  Ok my 1st 987.2 I had a choice on the stick for drl on or off.  What you have to “play” with is dependent on what lights you have (if you have xenons then your drl’s are different. )

i have heard of at least one 987.2 where the drl option isn’t on the stick which looks to be a car coding / setup piwis thing.  

you can also (via piwis) choose the drl setting to be either the side lights in the bumper or dipped beam. Again.  I have seen cars configured with both. 

I can’t remember exactly where on the menu the drl setting was but I seem to remember it was fairly deep in a sub menu. I just went through each level and into each menu and it was there 

non exact science but if you post details of what you have then someone might be able to match to what they have.  

Sorry, you’re right, I should have said which lights I have. They are:

603 PDLS Porsche Dynamic Light System (cornering lights)
605 LED daytime driving lights

The PCM codes I have are:

665 PCM 3 Porsche Communication Management touchscreen incl. radio, CD
666 Telephone module for PCM
672 Navigation module for PCM

Plus Bose.

Not sure whether ant of that affects which DRL settings I have in the onboard computer. I’ll have another delve into the menus, but I think I was pretty thorough last time.

PDLS option gives you different lights ( apart from the obvious ones - i mean the 605 option) - and it *may* be that you can't configure through the on board computer - but, my current car has PDLS/Bi-Xenons and I think the option is there - will check when I am in the garage next.

In the meantime - this is the menu I was referring to (page 160 (printed) actually page 162 in a PDF reader) - that's how I remember the option being on my 1st 987.2 - it's a US manual - but that bit was the same for me.

http://billswebspace.com/Owners_Manual_Boxster_PCNA.pdf

Certainly that manual talks about "additional things in the individual memory" - which is definitely something that isn't standard.

14 hours ago, Bayernlarge said:

t says that if you press INFO, then OPTION there should be a menu allowing you to change automatic door locking, light options (inc DRL) and air con settings.

Mine's a 987.1 not .2, but this sounds like mine.  I have the option in the PCM screen (not stalk) to set my headlights as DRLs, which I have done.  Apparently if I hadn't had the Sports Chrono option (or perhaps, if I ever rip out the PCM and install something modern) that option will only be available to someone with software, whether Durametric or only PIWIS I'm not sure.

Yep have PDSL, Bose and the uprated PCM with phone card slot on my 2011 987.2 and I have some options on the function of the DRL's. I can not for the life of me remember if it was stalk controlled or on the PCM. I do not have the more advanced PCM features discussed which I understood were indeed a feature of cars equiped with sport chrono. If it helps willing to go and play with mine. I remember when I first had the car and I was fiddling with menus on a run up to Scotland with other member here and switched the DRLs off and had it took a few minutes chugging through menus to get them on again. If I had to bet on it I'd say the option was steering wheel stalk activated but I may be wrong. Hope this helps and does not confuse you further  Good luck.

Archived