Jack !

Bradders59

The Boxster I have just bought didnt come with any of the original tools, including the jack. Im wondering if a standard scissor jack would do the job if I need to change a wheel at the roadside ?

Probably sounds like a really dumb question, but its wet & horrible here so dont really want to climb around under the car to find out.

Cheers.

I bought these jack pads recently. They fit into the jacking points, then you turn them through 90 degrees and they hold there. You could presumably use any jack to lift the car after that, including your scissor jack idea.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Porsche-Jack-Pad-Polyurethane-911-964-993-996-7-991-Boxster-Cayman-LOW-PRO/254221927583?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 hour ago, BBB said:

I bought these jack pads recently. They fit into the jacking points, then you turn them through 90 degrees and they hold there. You could presumably use any jack to lift the car after that, including your scissor jack idea.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Porsche-Jack-Pad-Polyurethane-911-964-993-996-7-991-Boxster-Cayman-LOW-PRO/254221927583?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have one of those pucks, cost me about £6 from ebay IIRC and is aluminium

You cloud also see what price the salvage companies like Douglas Valley, 9apart and Jasmine Porsche (all on eBay) want for an original one out of a wreck.

5 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Saves me paying at least £75 for a genuine second hand Porsche jack from ebay.

The genuine Porsche one is a bit of a work of art, very very light but still fit for purpose.

If you have the patience I am sure one will turn up for decent money eventually.

Stranger things have happened,,,,,,,,,,

Porsche Boxster 986 Jack Set Porsche Carrera 2 Jack Set Porsche Jack & Handle | eBay

It would be nice to have an original one, but not for £86 inc. delivery. I actually have the Polystyrene part, its just empty.

I think the best plan is to get a standard scissor jack and then be patient, and keep looking / asking breakers until I find an original at a sensible price. 

Thanks again for all the replies and advice. 

A new one from Porsche is around £200 (it is a well engineered light weigh aluminium jack) so £86 from a breaker is probably as good as it is going to get, but you could drop @JazH a PM and see if he still has the one from his race car project.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 4:26 PM, ½cwt said:

A new one from Porsche is around £200 (it is a well engineered light weigh aluminium jack) so £86 from a breaker is probably as good as it is going to get, but you could drop @JazH a PM and see if he still has the one from his race car project.

I do indeed still have mine and would be happy to sell it cheaper than this if you are interested.

Archived