What have you done to your Spyder today...

Carmand

Well yesterday actually.  MOT, oil and filter change.  Even managed to get the roof down on the way.

Had a 718s Boxster in Gentian as a loaner - looked really smart with a blue roof and grey interior.  Felt cluttered on the steering wheel and was surprisingly jiggly on 20s without PASM so perhaps tyre pressures were off.  Not a fan of the engine/ PDK combination - I’ve  Mini JCW so not against in principle but seems to lose something of the character of a sports car in the Porsche installation for me.

Downside Is I now have to clean it.....

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/2/2021 at 9:23 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

Interested to hear your feedback on this, how much was it, if you dong mind me asking?

Definite improvement. Now throughout the whole rev range the car sounds as you would expect it to have done, rather than the valves closing between 2k and 4k, muting the sound where you actually spend the majority of time. Having come from a 981S with PSE and Cargraphic “X”-pipe it was very lacking as standard so both myself and Mrs. drago knew straight away we needed to do something to restore some aural character, which for now this has succeeded in doing. It just feels more fun.

We’ll see how we get along with it over the next few months - a replacement back box might be on the horizon if we yearn for a bit more engagement with the car without being at 10/10ths. 

For about £450 fitted it’s a no-brainer.

Another thing about the controller, it’s pretty much fit and forget, too. The controller stays on the selected mode until you decide to change and press the remote, so you can tuck it away into the door pocket or centre console and only reach for it if you need to.

Edited by drago.d

5 hours ago, drago.d said:

Definite improvement. Now throughout the whole rev range the car sounds as you would expect it to have done, rather than the valves closing between 2k and 4k, muting the sound where you actually spend the majority of time. Having come from a 981S with PSE and Cargraphic “X”-pipe it was very lacking as standard so both myself and Mrs. drago knew straight away we needed to do something to restore some aural character, which for now this has succeeded in doing. It just feels more fun.

We’ll see how we get along with it over the next few months - a replacement back box might be on the horizon if we yearn for a bit more engagement with the car without being at 10/10ths. 

Another thing about the controller, it’s pretty much fit and forget, too. The controller stays on the selected mode until you decide to change and press the remote, so you can tuck it away into the door pocket or centre console and only reach for it if you need to.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2021 at 4:16 PM, drago.d said:

What’s your latest opinion on this? Still worth it? 

I’m thinking of adding this to the GT4. I’ve also managed to source a OEM back box which I’ve had doctored to increase noise 

10 hours ago, tcornet said:

What’s your latest opinion on this? Still worth it? 

I’m thinking of adding this to the GT4. I’ve also managed to source a OEM back box which I’ve had doctored to increase noise 

Oh, yes. Most definitely worth it. Do I need to also spend maybe £4.5k on a back box replacement? The jury’s still out, but it’s not a desperate need at the mo. I’d be interested to hear about your doctored back box though….

15 hours ago, drago.d said:

Oh, yes. Most definitely worth it. Do I need to also spend maybe £4.5k on a back box replacement? The jury’s still out, but it’s not a desperate need at the mo. I’d be interested to hear about your doctored back box though….

15 hours ago, drago.d said:

No worries, yes I will update once the car is out of hibernation 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MOT, service and warranty renewal at Wolverhampton yesterday.  Excellent customer service.  Was given a 3 series loan car which felt more like sailing a ship than driving a car - completely isolated from the driving experience, would send me to sleep pretty easily on a long motorway journey.  So nice to get back in my car - though I had to check the window wasn’t open it sounded so loud inside 😀.  Hopefully a few more miles in my 6th year with the car.

• Like 1

A bit of shameless promotion here.  On 24 April there is a Boxster 25th Anniversary BoXa.net meet at the British Motor Museum Gaydon, please link to the topic below for more information and to note your interest:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a run out to the RS day at Oulton Park yesterday.  I’ve not been before but it seemed pretty busy with plenty of interesting cars on and off track - dry but cold.  The only other Spyder I saw was RPMs 981 which they were apparently tracking though I didn’t see it.  Masses of GT cars - and a variety of outfits from the professional to the complete amateur, brand new cars to 40 year old 911s.  Activity halted at one point while the slickest looking team recovered their Cup car that lost a wheel on circuit 🤭. They also had what was either a GT4 race car or possibly a GT4 RS hidden away at the top of their transporter - had a bluish looking carbon fibre bonnet.

On 3/5/2022 at 7:03 AM, Carmand said:

Activity halted at one point while the slickest looking team recovered their Cup car that lost a wheel on circuit 🤭

I saw the car and wheel after recovery. The centre lock had come undone and the wheel collapsed into the arch, then bolt on the hub carrier turned a groove in the wheel until it split in two! I think it was a magnesium wheel as well(£££) which could have caught fire.

275283888_4948046918596303_1131033428001

• Sad 1

On 8/15/2021 at 10:01 PM, RBD914 v2 said:

Xpel Ultimate paint protection film fitted.

2021-08-15_09-59-28

I'm loving that sticky front plate @RBD914 v2  I know that this is probably a discussion elsewhere, but is it all above board and cool now to use this style?

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2022 at 11:32 PM, ½cwt said:

A bit of shameless promotion here.  On 24 April there is a Boxster 25th Anniversary BoXa.net meet at the British Motor Museum Gaydon, please link to the topic below for more information and to note your interest:

For those that have said 'yes' or may have missed it altogether, here are the details for next Sunday's BoXa.net event at Gaydon:

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Updated the PCM hard drive to an SSD.  Pretty straightforward (thanks to the guidance on here and elsewhere) if you take your time and are careful with trim clips and drive connections.

Only slight heart in the mouth moment was when “Maps” seemed to take an age to load and no sign of the “Jukebox” either initially - but after a couple of system trigged restarts everything appeared and now seems to be operating fine.  I’ve ordered the updated maps and another cheap SSD so next phase is to load those and take a back up disk copy.

Updated maps with usbs from Satnavishop; not exactly plug and play but email support was excellent and end result seems an improvement and much quicker to respond with the ssd.  Next step will be to back up to offline ssd.