Extended Warranty Advice

Rooose

I am seriously considering biting the bullet and putting the car into an OPC for the purposes of placing a warranty on it.

I am very aware of the long list of restrictions but I wonder if anyone with experience of these things can help with a couple of items I am unsure of?

Will the genuine GTS rear lights pass, even though they are not factory fit?

Does the tyre goo have to be in date?

Will a retrimmed steering wheel pass the checks?

I have sorted a good deal with the OPC for the 6 year service and check but need to decide if I definitely go this route.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rooose said:

I am seriously considering biting the bullet and putting the car into an OPC for the purposes of placing a warranty on it.

I am very aware of the long list of restrictions but I wonder if anyone with experience of these things can help with a couple of items I am unsure of?

Will the genuine GTS rear lights pass, even though they are not factory fit?

Does the tyre goo have to be in date?

Will a retrimmed steering wheel pass the checks?

I have sorted a good deal with the OPC for the 6 year service and check but need to decide if I definitely go this route.

Nothing major on your list that I can see them rejecting the car for. Have a feeling you'll get stung for the tyre goo. Try and find an in date VW one on eBay 👍

Real question is do you need the warranty? Has the car had any of the usual issues rectified already, PSE issues, air con rads that type of thing? What kind of annual mileage is it doing?

These cars are fairly reliable if you look after them, keep the roof drains clear. Check out my maintenance video on YouTube if you haven't already.

10 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Nothing major on your list that I can see them rejecting the car for. Have a feeling you'll get stung for the tyre goo. Try and find an in date VW one on eBay 👍

Real question is do you need the warranty? Has the car had any of the usual issues rectified already, PSE issues, air con rads that type of thing? What kind of annual mileage is it doing?

These cars are fairly reliable if you look after them, keep the roof drains clear. Check out my maintenance video on YouTube if you haven't already.

Its the question I am asking myself! As far as I know, the exhaust and rads are original.

Yes, I had spotted a couple on ebay, could be a good option.

The issues that concern me that are potentially expensive are the padm mounts, pse and the pdk, although I know I am being a bit irrational about the pdk.

It irks me a bit to go this route given the strict conditions but am undecided if the peace of mind is worth it.....

Something I wasnt aware of until the other day was that when you renew the Porsche warranty you dont need to have the 111 check done and can renew over the phone as long as you are within warranty.

This makes it easier in the future if you want to renew it.

45 minutes ago, jason3.2s said:

Something I wasnt aware of until the other day was that when you renew the Porsche warranty you dont need to have the 111 check done and can renew over the phone as long as you are within warranty.

This makes it easier in the future if you want to renew it.

I hope this is true 👍🏻

Mine expires soon and theres no chance ill be back to get it to the OPC for ‘the check’ and renewal.

I’ll give them a call

7 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

I hope this is true 👍🏻

Mine expires soon and theres no chance ill be back to get it to the OPC for ‘the check’ and renewal.

I’ll give them a call

I found the info on the Uk Porsche warranty PDF, so if you need evidence its on their website.

It was new to me as mine expires shortly and dont need a service this year so was relieved it can be done over the phone.

16 minutes ago, jason3.2s said:

I found the info on the Uk Porsche warranty PDF, so if you need evidence its on their website.

It was new to me as mine expires shortly and dont need a service this year so was relieved it can be done over the phone.

Ahhhh think mine is due a minor so could throw a spanner in the works!!! 😤

I’ve had a warranty renewal refused due to Zunsport grills. They of course would remove them for £309 IIRC 😳 That was on my 987. Now with my 981 it’s due a major and asked my local OPC for a quote. Came back £914:38 inc of vat. So phoned a well respected Indy and quoted £408.37 inc of vat. Then phoned local OPC and they revised there quote to £752 which really annoyed me. Then asked them to quote for new battery. £373:12 fitted. Phoned Indy £279:60 and I’ll fit it for free during service. So do the maths. Going with Indy using all genuine parts for major plus battery saves £437.15. Keeping it in warranty for me is just a no go due to the incredibly over inflated prices of OPC when maintaining in my case an 8 yr old 981. But just my opinion of course 

And this is the dilemma. Is the cost of playing the game worth it? If there is an engine or gearbox problem, then yes, otherwise, it's definitely no!

I know there are many advocates of it and those who wouldn't go near it. Having never had an Porsche extended warranty, I am a little short on experience to make an informed decision.

I have been told I would need to remove my grilles, which is already a concern and you are right, start adding up the additional costs required, and it makes what I feel is a well priced warranty relatively expensive.

Having looked into it a little more, I am also surprised at the number of exclusions and the 'wear and tear' clauses - at what point does something become wear and tear on a car?

As you can tell, I m on the fence and already feel a little aggrieved at having to 'un-modify' the car to qualify. That should make my mind up but somehow, it doesn't quite!!

10 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

I’ve had a warranty renewal refused due to Zunsport grills. They of course would remove them for £309 IIRC 😳 That was on my 987. Now with my 981 it’s due a major and asked my local OPC for a quote. Came back £914:38 inc of vat. So phoned a well respected Indy and quoted £408.37 inc of vat. Then phoned local OPC and they revised there quote to £752 which really annoyed me. Then asked them to quote for new battery. £373:12 fitted. Phoned Indy £279:60 and I’ll fit it for free during service. So do the maths. Going with Indy using all genuine parts for major plus battery saves £437.15. Keeping it in warranty for me is just a no go due to the incredibly over inflated prices of OPC when maintaining in my case an 8 yr old 981. But just my opinion of course 

I think you have gone about this the totally correct way, price comparison, age mitigation, usage and just common sense. Very refreshing.

Had my turbo’s not cost circa. £10k if they go pop i would do the same thing. Im happy to try to keep the 911 in warranty, not so much the Macan these days.

Lets see what the OPC say and if they want to retain my business of 2 cars in their servicing database or lose the customer.

I had mine renewed yesterday.

Not having to have the 111 point check before renewal is a relatively new thing due to COVID,  there is no guarantee that this will be continued once business as usual resumes, obviously Rooose would have to pay for this anyway given he is not currently under warranty.

Rear lights and re-trimmed wheel should be fine I would have thought, tyre goo you may have to change.  Have you got a matching set of N rated tyres?  If you are happy servicing at OPC and keeping your car pretty much stock then my view is the warranty is good value (just look at warranty costs for some sports cars!) 

Ive had: Drivetrain mounts x 2 ( approx £1400 x2) ;  Full PSE replacement (approx £2500);  fan resistor/driver pack (cost unsure likely around £200)  replaced in the past 3 years.  

There are no exclusions for wear and tear that you wouldn’t expect, however if you car is say 60k miles plus then I suspect a couple of those wear items (shocks for example) might not be covered.

2 hours ago, jason3.2s said:

Thanks for the info @jason3.2s

I called my local OPC and renewed for 12 months, car was serviced last Just so all good.

Just as a side note as I'm personally unable to attend the OPC or return to the uk, they just need a copy of the first 3 pages of the logbook and the warranty paperwork signing and returning (SWMBO can do this as confirmed by OPC warranty renewal staff)

4 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I had mine renewed yesterday.

Not having to have the 111 point check before renewal is a relatively new thing due to COVID,  there is no guarantee that this will be continued once business as usual resumes, obviously Rooose would have to pay for this anyway given he is not currently under warranty.

Rear lights and re-trimmed wheel should be fine I would have thought, tyre goo you may have to change.  Have you got a matching set of N rated tyres?  If you are happy servicing at OPC and keeping your car pretty much stock then my view is the warranty is good value (just look at warranty costs for some sports cars!) 

Ive had: Drivetrain mounts x 2 ( approx £1400 x2) ;  Full PSE replacement (approx £2500);  fan resistor/driver pack (cost unsure likely around £200)  replaced in the past 3 years.  

There are no exclusions for wear and tear that you wouldn’t expect, however if you car is say 60k miles plus then I suspect a couple of those wear items (shocks for example) might not be covered.

Thanks Greenman.

Yes, tyres are all pretty much new and matching N rated and from what I can tell, all parts seem to be genuine on the car.

The OPC have effectively offered to throw in the check with the service, although no doubt I am paying for it somehow!

Car is on 34k now and I don't expect it to rise dramatically quickly!

Servicing prices I do think are a little rich, but as I see it, that needs to be factored into the warranty coast, as does the battery, wiper blades etc.

I need to make my mind up!!

1 minute ago, Rooose said:

Servicing prices I do think are a little rich, but as I see it, that needs to be factored into the warranty coast, as does the battery, wiper blades etc.

Yes service prices are steep but it’s only every 2 years.  I just paid £875 for 6 year service ( inc Brake fluid, poly belt, air filters etc).  Another aspect at your mileage (similar to mine) is brakes, if these haven’t been done they may be due in next 10k miles and that’s an expensive job at OPC.

Yes, I have been quoted a little more than that but they are including the 111 point check in it.

Front brakes - all good. Rears seem ok but will definitely need changing in the next 10k. I would likely do those myself though - yes, genuine parts are more expensive but it's the labour rates that seem to really hurt.

With my chocolate engined 987, I didn't ever consider the OPC route but now I have something much more reliable (and expensive to repair), I seem to be risk averse! 

5 hours ago, Rooose said:

Yes, I have been quoted a little more than that but they are including the 111 point check in it.

Front brakes - all good. Rears seem ok but will definitely need changing in the next 10k. I would likely do those myself though - yes, genuine parts are more expensive but it's the labour rates that seem to really hurt.

With my chocolate engined 987, I didn't ever consider the OPC route but now I have something much more reliable (and expensive to repair), I seem to be risk averse! 

you pays your money...

Sooooo, just to finish this thread off - I have decided not to go the official warranty route.

A couple of reasons, mainly that I just couldn't be bothered to play the game  - I enjoy tinkering and lightly maintaining and modifying myself and this is just not possible with the official warranty. The other was I could get no concrete answers on some of the definitions within the warranty. As an example, I tried to clarify the wear and tear clause and the parts affected but all I could glean was that it will depend on mileage/condition/type of failure. Porche didn't seem particularly interested in providing any clarity around this. The best I could get was 'it will be at our discretion'. Now, I have no doubt they would do their best and I know most have had no issue with this, but for instance, Audi explicitly state up to 100k for wear and tear on their extended warranty.

Oh, and in case anyone needs to know for future reference - if you have a retrimmed steering wheel - this will fail the 111 point check - Porsche deem this a modification!!

3 hours ago, Rooose said:

Sooooo, just to finish this thread off - I have decided not to go the official warranty route.

A couple of reasons, mainly that I just couldn't be bothered to play the game  - I enjoy tinkering and lightly maintaining and modifying myself and this is just not possible with the official warranty. The other was I could get no concrete answers on some of the definitions within the warranty. As an example, I tried to clarify the wear and tear clause and the parts affected but all I could glean was that it will depend on mileage/condition/type of failure. Porche didn't seem particularly interested in providing any clarity around this. The best I could get was 'it will be at our discretion'. Now, I have no doubt they would do their best and I know most have had no issue with this, but for instance, Audi explicitly state up to 100k for wear and tear on their extended warranty.

Oh, and in case anyone needs to know for future reference - if you have a retrimmed steering wheel - this will fail the 111 point check - Porsche deem this a modification!!

Retrimmed steering wheel that’s just a joke in relation to voided warranty. Like I say when my 987 was within warranty I fitted Zunsport front grills and claimed no worries. Then on renewal they stated I had to remove them which they quoted £300 plus. Ridiculous. Also with the 987 I did have front springs replaced no worries along with a faulty passenger door switch but was rejected when I had a leaking drivers door seal as it was deemed wear and tear. The car was 10yrs old with 45k but I thought it a bit off. Especially when they told me the cost to replace. If I remember correctly it was close to a grand. Crazy money. I just smeared silicone grease on the seal which worked. Only downside was a greasy mark on the window top with the roof down 😂

2 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Retrimmed steering wheel that’s just a joke in relation to voided warranty

A retrimmed wheel doesn't void the extended warranty. It fails the 111 point check which means they won't sell you the warranty. If you had the wheel retrimmed after you had the warranty then there would be no issue claiming for a faulty engine or other item not related to the wheel, the only issue would be if you tried to claim for the wheel on it.

It's commonly known as an extended warranty when in fact it is just an insurance policy you're sold And as with any insurance certain criteria has to be met to sell it

1 hour ago, CMA said:

A retrimmed wheel doesn't void the extended warranty. It fails the 111 point check which means they won't sell you the warranty. If you had the wheel retrimmed after you had the warranty then there would be no issue claiming for a faulty engine or other item not related to the wheel, the only issue would be if you tried to claim for the wheel on it.

It's commonly known as an extended warranty when in fact it is just an insurance policy you're sold And as with any insurance certain criteria has to be met to sell it

Void warranty bad choice of words I understand exactly due to my previous experience with the extended warranty. But still crazy they would reject it on 111 point check to renew just like they did with my Zunsport grills. But yes agree it’s any small detail when it comes to insurance 

Archived