981 Spyder value

718as

No idea but probably trading at up to £10k less in some cases. At some point we will see an influx of 4.0l GTS's and Spyders especially manual ones, these will push on the price of the 981 Spyder so wonder if people are a bit hesitant. The 56k one is too miley for the price tag I think.

I've been looking at that white one on AT since about the beginning of December trying to get my wife to sell of VW camper and come in with me for it....alas not....but I do think in the next two years I'll jump into one of these...stunning car.

1 hour ago, villaman said:

I've been looking at that white one on AT since about the beginning of December trying to get my wife to sell of VW camper and come in with me for it....alas not....but I do think in the next two years I'll jump into one of these...stunning car.

Yep, nice looking example!

The ones on the market all have some issue or other; no buckets, high miles, dodgy dealer, also white isn't massively popular it seems.  

Nicely specced ones don't hang around long and a couple that have popped up via Porsche dealers have gone very quickly.  I've been trying to buy one for about a year and the good ones are still going for around 68-70k.  The one I'm hopefully getting is at the top end of that price range. 

The one up at 74k is overpriced but someone will pay 70k for it.

They are so heavily spec dependant that I think there will continue to be quite a disparity between leggy less desirable spec ones and the others.  Mine never made it to market and a couple of dealers I spoke to said they don't expect the values to shift significantly even with the 718.

There are 5 for sale at OPCs - a couple of nicely specced ones have gone within 48hs and I expect the blue one will go quickly too.

On AT:

Grey one - higher miles and no Nav or extended leather

Yellow - no buckets

Silver - GVE are dodgy AF

White ones - most don't have buckets and it seems this really is a big issue.  It was for me anyway.

If I come across as a bit of an anorak it's because I've followed every car that's been advertised for the last year and when a good one comes along it goes very quickly.  I had to move very quickly when fortune happened to smile on me and I would have paid 2k more that I have/will  be paying to secure one with the spec I want.

I agree with all of the previous comments regarding Spyder's and in fact any 981 or 718.

As 718as says other 981 models are selling fast so I think the bigger picture is 981 V 718.

Check out OPC used and compare prices of 981 GTS v 718 GTS.

Good spec low miles 981 GTS are around low to mid 50s have look and see what the same money buys in a 781 GTS.............interesting?

Same goes for the 981 S there is one for sale at OPC for 44k have look and see what 718 S are selling for now.

Maybe a bit unscientific when you take into account specifications etc but I think there is a bit of a shift now there are more 718s on the market and some people still want good spec late 6 cylinder cars that are getting harder to find.Yes that old argument!

Like Megatron if I sound like an anorak its because it took me over a year to find my May 2016 981 S great spec great colour worth the wait. I occasionally check AT and PH and few of the better indy dealers and have only seen one car close to mine on price and spec in the last year.

Same goes for Spyder's..............if you a see the car that fits your spec and budget don't delay go and get it!

Good luck car buyers !

I don't quite understand this obsession with bucket seats in Spyders? Does anyone actually sit in them and ideally drive in them for any length of time before buying?

If you are going to track your Spyder on a regular basis, then fine, the buckets will hold you in better and therefore long term comfort can be sacrificed.

But for road use, particularly for long trips, they are very uncomfortable, have limited adjustment and are a sod to get in and out of. If you have a single garage where you can't open your car door wide, then you will really struggle to get out of bucket seats!

They do however look ultra cool, I agree, but.....

According to my OPC contacts, there is a market for both seat types, bucket seats are certainly not a necessity for these cars to be desirable - just offering a different viewpoint.

9 hours ago, Megatron said:

There are 5 for sale at OPCs - a couple of nicely specced ones have gone within 48hs and I expect the blue one will go quickly too.

On AT:

Grey one - higher miles and no Nav or extended leather

Yellow - no buckets

Silver - GVE are dodgy AF

White ones - most don't have buckets and it seems this really is a big issue.  It was for me anyway.

If I come across as a bit of an anorak it's because I've followed every car that's been advertised for the last year and when a good one comes along it goes very quickly.  I had to move very quickly when fortune happened to smile on me and I would have paid 2k more that I have/will  be paying to secure one with the spec I want.

I agree the grey car looks dull, especially in that colour, hardly high mileage at 16,900 over 5 years though. No Nav - is it really necessary in a car like this? It would be 6 years out of date anyway! No extended leather - it's a sports car not a luxury barge!

Bucket seats - see my earlier comments. They are over-rated for road use in my opinion, I would actively avoid them.

I think white and silver suits the Spyder shape best, I don't like red interiors though.

No experience of GVE, what do you mean by dodgy AF?

The yellow car is probably the best all round value, but £66k for a 5 year old car? That's close to what it probably cost new!

For a bit more money a 718 GTS 4.0 is in reach, or even a lower spec 718 Spyder.

I think the 981 Spyders are over priced at the moment, particularly at OPC's. Now that the 6 cylinder 718's are coming through I would expect 981 prices to soften.

Time will tell.

Spec is always individually subjective - for resale it would appear (regardless of the merits of those options) that those without Nav or buckets just don't shift quite as quickly.  That's not to say they aren't desirable but someone is buying the ones I've been interested in quickly because they do shift quicker.  But that's also what's great about spec being subjective because if you don't like what sheep like me do there are some nice cars out there. 

The market rate is ultimately what people will spend on a car and I guess the fact that they are *still* selling for over list price 5 years later means something; perhaps related to the relatively low numbers of cars in the UK.  Put it this way - I'm unlikely to take a significant bath on this one, unlike my F-Type R which lost 40k in 3 years.

Buckets wise - I really like them and for me they add a sense of drama and occasion which is what I want from my second car; luckily I have no mobility issues yet and a double garage so entry and exit won't be a problem.  I've done long road trips (admittedly as a passenger) in 918 buckets and found them quite comfy to be honest but equally found the comfort seats great in my 997

GVE - Did my due diligence about them.  They won't let you test drive until you buy, online review sites have the quite worrying reviews about mechanically unsound cars being sold with zero aftercare buried underneath many 5* reviews written in a suspiciously similar style.  Two dealer friends have actively told me to avoid them as they have a reputation much like GC Motors - it's all there to find with a bit of detective work.  I enquired to test the water asking about service history, MOT date etc. and they had no clue.  Most of their stock is on SOR.  Only 18 months history at Companies house with no accounts visible, and that's not a company I wish to pay a lot of money too.

Agree about the 718.  It will be interesting to see how the 718 GTS affects them l though I suspect that might affect the 718 Spyder a little more; at the moment the 4.0 GTSs are on at OPCs for a shade more that the 981 Spyder (70-80k) and the 718 Spyder is nearly 90k.    

10 hours ago, Afrikaner said:

I agree with all of the previous comments regarding Spyder's and in fact any 981 or 718.

As 718as says other 981 models are selling fast so I think the bigger picture is 981 V 718.

Check out OPC used and compare prices of 981 GTS v 718 GTS.

Good spec low miles 981 GTS are around low to mid 50s have look and see what the same money buys in a 781 GTS.............interesting?

Same goes for the 981 S there is one for sale at OPC for 44k have look and see what 718 S are selling for now.

Maybe a bit unscientific when you take into account specifications etc but I think there is a bit of a shift now there are more 718s on the market and some people still want good spec late 6 cylinder cars that are getting harder to find.Yes that old argument!

Like Megatron if I sound like an anorak its because it took me over a year to find my May 2016 981 S great spec great colour worth the wait. I occasionally check AT and PH and few of the better indy dealers and have only seen one car close to mine on price and spec in the last year.

Same goes for Spyder's..............if you a see the car that fits your spec and budget don't delay go and get it!

Good luck car buyers !

Sorry guys looks like I missed the thread......................Spyders

I should not write comments after 10.00 pm at my age

3 hours ago, Megatron said:

Spec is always individually subjective - for resale it would appear (regardless of the merits of those options) that those without Nav or buckets just don't shift quite as quickly.  That's not to say they aren't desirable but someone is buying the ones I've been interested in quickly because they do shift quicker.  But that's also what's great about spec being subjective because if you don't like what sheep like me do there are some nice cars out there. 

The market rate is ultimately what people will spend on a car and I guess the fact that they are *still* selling for over list price 5 years later means something; perhaps related to the relatively low numbers of cars in the UK.  Put it this way - I'm unlikely to take a significant bath on this one, unlike my F-Type R which lost 40k in 3 years.

Buckets wise - I really like them and for me they add a sense of drama and occasion which is what I want from my second car; luckily I have no mobility issues yet and a double garage so entry and exit won't be a problem.  I've done long road trips (admittedly as a passenger) in 918 buckets and found them quite comfy to be honest but equally found the comfort seats great in my 997

GVE - Did my due diligence about them.  They won't let you test drive until you buy, online review sites have the quite worrying reviews about mechanically unsound cars being sold with zero aftercare buried underneath many 5* reviews written in a suspiciously similar style.  Two dealer friends have actively told me to avoid them as they have a reputation much like GC Motors - it's all there to find with a bit of detective work.  I enquired to test the water asking about service history, MOT date etc. and they had no clue.  Most of their stock is on SOR.  Only 18 months history at Companies house with no accounts visible, and that's not a company I wish to pay a lot of money too.

Agree about the 718.  It will be interesting to see how the 718 GTS affects them l though I suspect that might affect the 718 Spyder a little more; at the moment the 4.0 GTSs are on at OPCs for a shade more that the 981 Spyder (70-80k) and the 718 Spyder is nearly 90k.    

You can get the 718 Spyders for less than 90k, as long as you don't want carbon brakes!

Leeds OPC had a red one, with bucket seats up for £84,000, one year old 4000 miles.

The reduced it to £82,000 before it sold.

34 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

You can get the 718 Spyders for less than 90k, as long as you don't want carbon brakes!

Leeds OPC had a red one, with bucket seats up for £84,000, one year old 4000 miles.

The reduced it to £82,000 before it sold.

Must have missed those ones - sadly for my wallet ceramics is on the list.  I regret not getting a 981 when I had the chance; I prefer the design of them to the 718 and it's an itch I need to scratch.  But I also really want a Toyota Yaris GR circuit pack too so my taste is questionable at best.

5 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

I don't quite understand this obsession with bucket seats in Spyders? Does anyone actually sit in them and ideally drive in them for any length of time before buying?

If you are going to track your Spyder on a regular basis, then fine, the buckets will hold you in better and therefore long term comfort can be sacrificed.

But for road use, particularly for long trips, they are very uncomfortable, have limited adjustment and are a sod to get in and out of. If you have a single garage where you can't open your car door wide, then you will really struggle to get out of bucket seats!

They do however look ultra cool, I agree, but.....

According to my OPC contacts, there is a market for both seat types, bucket seats are certainly not a necessity for these cars to be desirable - just offering a different viewpoint.

I was going to post the same as you but then I thought about it and decided I like the looks so much that I would want them too 😂😂😂.

However the biggest issue is that they mostly aren't heated it's the button I always press when I get into the car unless the sun is out. I reckon I could retrofit the OEM set up them at least in partwithout the heated bolsters.

Owned mine just over 4 years now and I don’t think the market has changed much - sure it’s worth less, but it’s a car not an a pension plan.  Interestingly I paid more for mine than the very similar spec Leeds 718 car but I don’t regret that for a moment.

Mine went up for sale on the AUC site on a Friday night and was near perfect spec for me (Guards, PCCB, 918 buckets, 1 owner), I paid a deposit the next morning and by the time I went to see it in the metal on the Monday they had had 5 serious enquiries.

There are only 220 something to choose from and I believe a significant number of those, like mine, will be in long term ownership now - so well specced, warrantied, low owner, well maintained cars will always be in relatively short supply so I’d advise moving quickly if you see one you like.  

I think like the 987 Spyder the bulk of depreciation has gone now, so a bit pointless waiting for them to get much cheaper or complaining they are overpriced - they simply don’t make cars like this any more,  and I include the 718 version in that category.  Too many unnecessary plastic bits, PASM and fancy suspension not required for my use - and stop start/ cylinder deactivation/ GPF detract from the experience IMHO.  I had a PDK 718s as a loaner last week it was digital v analog - and the ride was much more fidgety than my car.

Seat style is very personal - I find the fixed buckets easy to use and comfortable, I’ve had them in 3 of my 4 Porsches.  The roof is also fine for me - out of interest i timed it the last time I had it out, almost exactly a minute seat to seat, no rushing each for up and down.

So in short - go for it, you won’t regret it.  But you won’t get mine anytime soon!

Archived