987S Values

MD707

19 hours ago, andygo said:

I have a friend in the motor trade who tells me this VW site takes its quotes from the CAP Black book prices and is pretty accurate for a trade buy in price.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/used-cars/part-exchange#/landing

Even worse...!I don't think these reflect 'older' car markets at all. They don't understand the nuances.

I sold an 07 3.0Si Z4 last week for £8500, that values at £3750....

Coincidentally and in an idle moment I stuck mine into the webuyanycar valuation system a couple of weeks ago - not surprisingly they cam back with a low number (but not outrageously so) and since then have updated it twice with higher figures - I dont recall this happening with other cars that always seem to erode. Mine is a highly specced (not that they know from their minimal questions) 2010 S with 45k miles.  Anyway not a scientific piece of information but one to mull over - maybe?!

Keith

7 minutes ago, huytonman said:

Coincidentally and in an idle moment I stuck mine into the webuyanycar valuation system a couple of weeks ago - not surprisingly they cam back with a low number (but not outrageously so) and since then have updated it twice with higher figures - I dont recall this happening with other cars that always seem to erode. Mine is a highly specced (not that they know from their minimal questions) 2010 S with 45k miles.  Anyway not a scientific piece of information but one to mull over - maybe?!

Keith

My only experience with WBAC, they made a very poor offer initially then reduced the offer by £500.00 on inspection. There was a chap hanging around nearby and he spoke to the examiner before I received my offer. As I drove away, this chap flagged me down to give me his business card - explaining he 'did a bit of buying & selling.' It seemed obvious they were in cahoots. Two weeks later I sold the car privately for almost double the WBAC original offer.

They're knaves.

2 hours ago, huytonman said:

Keith

Its to do with the used car market.  My S3 value has been going up and I received an email saying its value had increased.  Quite a few months back it was saying £11,140 this weeks value was £13,415. 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Ed_inc said:

I'm looking to sell my 987.1 S this spring and I don't really know how to gauge what it's worth! I've been doing a rough comparison against Auto Trader. Is there a better way to determine the value?

I'm in the middle of selling my work van on ebay. The prices are all over the show for the specific model it is, however, I simply look at as many as I can find that are comparable spec and mileage, work out what's better or worse about mine and go from there. I'd probably apply the same criteria to selling the Porsche. 

Post up some pics and details on here, it's a pretty realistic place for a valuation in my experience.

14 minutes ago, moneypit said:

Post up some pics and details on here, it's a pretty realistic place for a valuation in my experience.

I agree it's a useful forum in so many ways. But I wouldn't advise anyone to sell at the price recommended by the forum. The market is brimful of people who'll pay more than the forum users. These cars represent dreams for many. The forum is packed with realists and rumours of IMS.

9 hours ago, McDonald said:

I agree it's a useful forum in so many ways. But I wouldn't advise anyone to sell at the price recommended by the forum. The market is brimful of people who'll pay more than the forum users. These cars represent dreams for many. The forum is packed with realists and rumours of IMS.

I'm getting mixed messages from this. The market generally seems to be full of cars that seem ok price wise but haven't been selling. I'm sure that will change, but I'm not seeing stuff flying out in the first instance. If you aren't realistic about pricing, the car will sit. There's loads of them to choose from. I've got an '05 sensible mileage high spec S in arguably the most sought after colour, but if I advertised it for what I really want for it and personally think it's worth, I would have to brace myself for the disappointment that comes with being unrealistic.

Is the forum packed with realists and/or rumours of IMS or are they the same thing? Genuinely don't know what you mean by that last statement. I used to worry about IMS, that's an old story now. I think I'm a realist.

8 hours ago, moneypit said:

I'm getting mixed messages from this. The market generally seems to be full of cars that seem ok price wise but haven't been selling. I'm sure that will change, but I'm not seeing stuff flying out in the first instance. If you aren't realistic about pricing, the car will sit. There's loads of them to choose from. I've got an '05 sensible mileage high spec S in arguably the most sought after colour, but if I advertised it for what I really want for it and personally think it's worth, I would have to brace myself for the disappointment that comes with being unrealistic.

Is the forum packed with realists and/or rumours of IMS or are they the same thing? Genuinely don't know what you mean by that last statement. I used to worry about IMS, that's an old story now. I think I'm a realist.

The forum is pretty good at not promoting higher prices when buying, probably because these owners know the cars well and what you need to spend on them even when you buy a 'sorted' 12 to 16 year old car, so have an advantage over most buyers.  Hence a realistic and even sceptical approach to prices.

At the end of the day if the buyer (where a forum member or not) is happy with the amount of cash they ahve parted with and the transaction proceeds with the seller also happy at that price, this is the value of the given vehicle on that day.  Whether another individual would proceed at that price for that car is another matter.

9 hours ago, moneypit said:

1/2 cwt expressed it better. The forum is canny, but not representative of the market. The knowledge and scepticism of the forum makes for a lower valuation. If you need to sell quickly, then a forum-advised price would do the job. A well written and illustrated ad will get you a better price on the wider market. 

Think the forum proved itself fairly recently with a departed member. He valued the car £3k than the collective, was very adamant it was worth it as he’d spent ‘X’ - he put it on eBay and it sold pretty much spot on what the forum suggested.

as 1/2 cwt says, the forum generally has a good feel for realistic prices. Always a few that buck the trend though.

whole used car market seems strong at the moment though 

16 hours ago, Escy said:

Values do look to have firmed up compared to what was about last summer when I bought mine (for £3500!!!!)

Are they selling though?

I suspect a few dealers are putting them up for an optimistic asking price as there maybe someone willing to pay for the right car, but will drop the price if it doesn’t shift knowing that they can always sell it coming into summer and don’t risk being left with it for a long time.

For run of the mill cars, autotrader dealer prices are a very good guide since there is very little scope for price negotiation nowadays and you can take off a dealer margin and estimate the private sale price.

I suspect we are in a bit of an artificial bubble until the economy opens up and the flow of traded in car from new car sales gets back to previous volumes. A good time to sell as long as you’re not greedy.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

I suspect a few dealers are putting them up for an optimistic asking price as there maybe someone willing to pay for the right car, but will drop the price if it doesn’t shift knowing that they can always sell it coming into summer and don’t risk being left with it for a long time.

For run of the mill cars, autotrader dealer prices are a very good guide since there is very little scope for price negotiation nowadays and you can take off a dealer margin and estimate the private sale price.

I suspect we are in a bit of an artificial bubble until the economy opens up and the flow of traded in car from new car sales gets back to previous volumes. A good time to sell as long as you’re not greedy.

They are , mate has sold that 21k 2005 S for 14K via Piston heads

Archived