Coolant leak?

Tycho

Just done a shopping and fuel run.  I left the car running on my drive while I was cleaning and refitting the mats plus general faffing around.  I went out about an hour later I noticed a coolant leak under the car.  It looks like it is from driver's side front and/or approximately under the coolant tank in the boot.  I remember that the temperature reading while stationary had moved up from its usual just over 80 to closer to 90.

I have checked under the boot carpet and all is dry there.  The coolant level may have dropped a little but it does not look much compared to what's on the drive.  The coolant cap has been replaced recently.

Is this a cracked coolant tank or any other suggestions?  (I have tried to search the forum but without success)

Thanks

Chris

If the puddle on the ground is in front of the offside rear wheel, then check the bleed valve on top of the coolant tank. 

Remove the oil and water caps, lift out the plastic cover, and see if its wet in there.

Heavy condensation on the underside of the boot lid is another sign. 

Could also possibly be water pump depending on where puddle is. 

Checked the bleed valve this morning, looked dry but there was a little dampness on top of the tank under the cover.  I fitted a new (04) cap at the end of the last year as I thought coolant level was dropping a little (nothing underneath) and the car was still on its original 00 cap.

No apparent leaks overnight & bottom of boot is dry.  I have tightened the cap as it might not have been on tight enough - I have got knackered arms from an old bike accident!  I will take it out for a run (shopping) next week & let it idle on return to get the temperature up.  I fitted grilles behind the front intakes last month, don’t think that this can be connected as the temperature did not get that high.

Thanks for the help

Chris

I had this after my service last year.  The indy hadn't tightened the coolant cap 🤬.  Once topped off and the cap tightened up properly it ahs not lost a drip since.

Check in the boot and lift up the wood panels rather than just the carpet to look at the actual metal body and look for coolant, if you have signs of coolant leak it’s a split expansion tank, very common on older 986’s, you can replace it yourself, i did, its a real PITA job and will take you a good half day to do unless you have help.

If it is the expansion tank then buy from OPC it’s about £200 inc membership discount, don’t risk buying a second hand one as you really don’t want to have to repeat this job in a few months.

A good indie with charge £6-800 an OPC around £1200 if you are not mechanically minded.

5 hours ago, JonSta said:

Is the 987 coolant cap prone to leaking? Saw a couple of spots of coolant around the filler the other day. Might be time for a new one.

Yes, happened on mine last year; dumped a load of coolant on the road. Easy fix though, just get the latest cap with part no ending 04. 

I started moving the carpet & trim in the boot this morning but got called up for gardening duties – great weather up here.  Removing the trim around the tank certainly gives a much better view.

I wasn’t planning to buy a second hand or far eastern tank but have seen new Febi branded items on eBay for £105 – I will check Porsche tomorrow but guess they will be a lot more.  Autodoc also have a selection of tanks from German manufacturers under £200.  I know Febi is an OEM supplier, has anyone used their tanks? I have seen posts on American forums with methods for replacement in 2 hours – will have to speak to my mechanic mate.

Next step tomorrow is getting it hot & see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Further investigations: as above I further tightened the cap then took the car out & tried to repeat the previous circumstances.  Did some shopping, got the engine well warmed then let it idle on the drive.  Temperature well up to around 90C & fans operating.

Result – no leaks at all, nothing under the car and nothing visible behind the carpet and below the tank in the boot.

Could this just have been the cap not being on tight enough? There was not a lot of coolant underneath & no warning lights.  The car is going in to have a window regulator problem fixed in a couple of weeks, would a pressure test be any help?

I am hoping that it was just the cap, I got a price for a tank from my local OPC this morning - £260 incl. VAT but pre discount, so almost double the Febi one on the net.

Thanks again for the help & any further ideas gratefully accepted.

2 hours ago, Tycho said:

Further investigations: as above I further tightened the cap then took the car out & tried to repeat the previous circumstances.  Did some shopping, got the engine well warmed then let it idle on the drive.  Temperature well up to around 90C & fans operating.

Result – no leaks at all, nothing under the car and nothing visible behind the carpet and below the tank in the boot.

Could this just have been the cap not being on tight enough? There was not a lot of coolant underneath & no warning lights.  The car is going in to have a window regulator problem fixed in a couple of weeks, would a pressure test be any help?

I am hoping that it was just the cap, I got a price for a tank from my local OPC this morning - £260 incl. VAT but pre discount, so almost double the Febi one on the net.

Thanks again for the help & any further ideas gratefully accepted.

Cap not tight or not a .04 cap = coolant loss.

Been there last week. Coolant leak at the front and rear. 
Pressure tested cooling system and found 2 leaking points. It turns out 2 of the clips are very rusty and they don’t hold the hose in place properly. 
I have removed them, replaced the clips and pressure tested again. All good now. 50p repair and couple of hours spent to find the problem. 

1 hour ago, Crazymind said:

Pressure tested cooling system and found 2 leaking points. It turns out 2 of the clips are very rusty and they don’t hold the hose in place properly. 
I have removed them, replaced the clips and pressure tested again. All good now. 50p repair and couple of hours spent to find the problem. 

If not the cap, this too on these older cars.  At least the clips are cheaper than the fabricated swaged on metal joints on a 987.... they must have looked great new but cost north of £500 to change as it needs a chunk of labour due to a sub-frame drop...

15 hours ago, Crazymind said:

I thought I might have a small leak up front too, so that sounds promising.  Where were your problem clips located? that will give us a starting point when work starts.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Tycho said:

I thought I might have a small leak up front too, so that sounds promising.  Where were your problem clips located? that will give us a starting point when work starts.

Thanks

Just follow the line! You won’t miss the clips! There are 55 clips all the way to the back 😳😳😳

Luckily the front clip was just behind the driver side front wheel. 
bit of nightmare the back clip which was the one connecting the rear cooling tank. 

Archived