Spyder First Impressions

Spyderman 718

I have had the 718 Spyder for just over 2 weeks, and my first impressions of the car are as follows.

1. Lots of power which is very immediate, feels very quick even though limited to 4,000 revs during the running in period.

2. Steering is pin sharp and very responsive, very easy to position on the road, the whole car feels light and agile, very impressive.

3. The ride is firm but not too stiff, handling is sublime, very capable on the twisty stuff.

4. Roof is a a bit of an event, but once I got the sequence right it is no trouble really. Car looks simply stunning roof down, which of course it was the whole time!

5. Gearbox is slick with a very short throw, almost switch-like. After years of flappy paddle autos, I had forgotten just how involving and satisfying changing gears yourself can be! Sublime user interface that very much adds to the overall sports car feel and involvement in the driving experience.

6. The exhaust note is good, but no pops and bangs on the over run like a 981 with PSE. It sounds ok at present, but the real test will be once I can get it above 4,000 revs and really open her up. 

7. Overall I am very happy with the way the car looks, drives and sounds. It does make you feel that you are driving something rather special, borne out by the fact that I have had three people come over and ask about the car already, I guess it looks that bit different to anything else on the road.

Pictures to follow.

Edited by Spyderman 718
  • Like 3

On 3/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, RoddyT said:

Lovely - wasn't sure about the wheels at first but they really work on your car!

I know exactly what you mean, I wasn't too sure myself at first, but they have grown on me and now I think they look great!

The overall effect is different dependent on the lighting, for instance in this photo taken in bright sunshine they really "pop" and make the car look amazing!

AcKNb2r.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well that's me coming up to the first 1000 miles in the Spyder.

The roof is proving to be no problem and not too much trouble to operate manually, you need to plan a bit more and it's either up all the journey if weather is inclement or down if dry - it's been mainly down!

She likes a drink this 4 litre unit - currently averaging 24 mpg, I used to get nearer 30 mpg out of the 3.4 litre engine.

Started opening her up to 5000 revs with the occasional 6000 revs, wow she really flies once past 4000, but even below this there is much more power than the 3.4 unit ever had. I used to find that engine a little lethargic until you wound it up, not so the 4.0 litre, it always feels eager and picks up really well.

5th gear will pull all the way from 25mph to well over 100 mph, a very flexible gear on the twisty stuff, no need to change down to 4th to fire out of the bends. I can't wait to use all 8000 revs, it must be ballistic!

Modifications so far - Aluminium fuel filler cap, clear perspex wind blocker, stick on front number plate, colour coded ignition key, Spyder logo on front spoiler picked out in GT Silver, PPF fitted to front nose, bonnet and sills.

I had worried if lack of climate control, cruise control and PDK would bother me - Nope on all counts!

Using a manual box, especially one as slick as this one, is a very involving experience, and makes you feel that you are really driving and interacting with the car, much more then you ever do with a PDK box. My last 3 Porsches were all PDK equipped and I enjoyed them immensely, I don't miss climate or cruise either - it's a sports car for Christ's sake!

The only slight disappointment is the PSE - it is somewhat muted compared to the 981 version, but I have read that the sound gets better as the miles go on, I will wait and see.

Apart from that, I am really enjoying the car, I have never had so many people commenting on it - complete strangers come across to me and make conversation saying what a gorgeous car it is!

It does look pretty special, even an AMG driver on the motorway came alongside and gave it the once over and a big thumbs up yesterday! 

Yep, loving this car!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Spyderman 718 said:

She likes a drink this 4 litre unit - currently averaging 24 mpg, I used to get nearer 30 mpg out of the 3.4 litre engine.

Yep, loving this car!

Plenty of smiles to the gallon, clearly.