Boxster 981s - Thoughts on value & alternatives?

hj04

Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say thanks to this forum for being a great resource when I purchased a 981 S a couple of years ago.

I have recently been considering my options on keeping the boxster or looking at an alternative. With this in mind I am curious for a view on values and alternative options?

Firstly values, having looked online it appears £37-38k is perhaps the ceiling now for a 981 s? It then looks like the jump to a GTS takes you into >£40k with £45+ being more likely.

The particular example of the 981s I have is a huge spec, I have not seen a higher spec myself albeit I am sure the odd one does exist. The full list of options is below but in short the key options being PDK, PSE, PASM, PTV, PCCB, Chrono, Burmester, 18 way seats, GTS rear lights. Car is a 65 plate with approx 38,000 miles. It has warranty and roadside assist with Porsche unti Oct 2022. Full service history also with Porsche. 

Any thoughts on what would be a realistic price point?

The challenge is that I love the car and thinking of an alternative is incredibly difficult. Has anyone been through the same dilemma and found something exciting to switch to with no regrets?

I suspect the likely outcome will be to stick with what I have but always interesting to get a different perspective. Extremely unlikely but has anyone ever switched to a Maserati GT, in particular an MC Stradale? I suspect not given its a completely different car, but it is my favourite car on looks and sound but fear dynamically I may be disappointed after a Boxster....

I have included a photo below enjoying the NC500 back in September!

Regards,

H

PTV (MECHAN. REAR-DIFF. LOCK)

PDK TRANSMISSION (PORSCHE DOPPELKUPPLUNG)

ADJUST. SEAT HEATING, FRONT (LE + RI)

20” CARRERA CLASSIC II WHEEL

CERAMIC - BRAKES (PCCB)

CRUISE CONTROL

EL. DAMPER CONTROL (PASM)

NO MODEL DESIGNATION ON REAR

ROLL-OVER BAR IN EXTERIOR COLOUR

ELECTRONIC AIR CONDITIONING (HIGH)

SMOKER PACKAGE

MOBILE PHONE PREP., BLUETOOTH W/O CONSOLE

INTERIOR LIGHT PACKAGE

SPEED LIMIT DISPLAY (TRAFFIC SIGN RECOG.)

PDLS+ (DYNAMIC HIGH BEAM)

PARKASSIST (FRONT + REAR)

SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE PLUS

TOP PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM (BURMESTER)

DIGITAL RADIO RECEPTION (DAB)

INTEGRATED AUTOCHANGER (DVD)

DOOR MIRROR, EL. RETRACTABLE (S-NO.)

SPORTS STEER. WH. (PDK W. PADDLE)

P07

Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way, electric)

P13

Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor

P23

Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface

XLF

SPORTS EXHAUST SYSTEM

XUB

HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM COVER PAINTED

XXR

TAIL LIGHTS, DARKENED

XYB

FUEL TANK CAP IN ALUMINIUM LOOK

Image1.jpg

It’s a much higher spec than most GTS examples. PCCB, Burmister, PTV are very rare options and on their own around £10k.  For someone after these there won’t be many to choose from.  The most expensive examples are those newer model years with low mileage. Yours isn’t especially low mileage. All in I think you might just acheive low £40k, but likely late £30k.  You do see some GTS under 40k but they usually are very strange spec or high mileage.

31 minutes ago, hj04 said:

suspect the likely outcome will be to stick with what I have but always interesting to get a different perspective. Extremely unlikely but has anyone ever switched to a Maserati GT, in particular an MC Stradale? I suspect not given its a completely different car, but it is my favourite car on looks and sound but fear dynamically I may be disappointed after a Boxster....

It depends what you want from a replacement.  If it’s something as good dynamically then Alpine or Lotus,  if it’s something more GT than the maser is a great option and sound epic, other option being F type V8.  Getting the same useability,handling,looks combo is IMO not possible.

A couple here have spent 3 to 4k on various upgrades to their 981 to give another 30 or 40 bhp and made the response sharper, brakes as well. Its a bargin compared to options ending in the letter   i  . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hj04 said:

It has warranty and roadside assist with Porsche unti Oct 2022.

I suspect if you want to follow what @JohnSyn has done, pushing the limits of the car as hinted above, you might not be able to keep that.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I suspect if you want to follow what @JohnSyn has done, pushing the limits of the car as hinted above, you might not be able to keep that.

Thats right Meno. My warranty expired in January but having already made the decision not to renew it I was comfortable with the work I've had done. There are many arguments for and against the warranty but I am perfectly happy to take the risk. And the fruits of the improvements the car are great!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greenman said:

You might think otherwise if you have what happened to this guy happen to you.

If I'm reading that right it isn't a failure but a tiny leak from a drain plug. I'm joking but you could stick some silicone sealant on that and not have to worry 😂.

Sadly just about any car can suffer from a nasty repair bill, but imho a warranty becomes essential when you hear about it happening often.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hj04 said:

Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say thanks to this forum for being a great resource when I purchased a 981 S a couple of years ago.

I have recently been considering my options on keeping the boxster or looking at an alternative. With this in mind I am curious for a view on values and alternative options?

Firstly values, having looked online it appears £37-38k is perhaps the ceiling now for a 981 s? It then looks like the jump to a GTS takes you into >£40k with £45+ being more likely.

The particular example of the 981s I have is a huge spec, I have not seen a higher spec myself albeit I am sure the odd one does exist. The full list of options is below but in short the key options being PDK, PSE, PASM, PTV, PCCB, Chrono, Burmester, 18 way seats, GTS rear lights. Car is a 65 plate with approx 38,000 miles. It has warranty and roadside assist with Porsche unti Oct 2022. Full service history also with Porsche. 

Any thoughts on what would be a realistic price point?

The challenge is that I love the car and thinking of an alternative is incredibly difficult. Has anyone been through the same dilemma and found something exciting to switch to with no regrets?

I suspect the likely outcome will be to stick with what I have but always interesting to get a different perspective. Extremely unlikely but has anyone ever switched to a Maserati GT, in particular an MC Stradale? I suspect not given its a completely different car, but it is my favourite car on looks and sound but fear dynamically I may be disappointed after a Boxster....

I have included a photo below enjoying the NC500 back in September!

Regards,

H

CERAMIC - BRAKES (PCCB)

CRUISE CONTROL

SMOKER PACKAGE

INTERIOR LIGHT PACKAGE

P07

P13

P23

Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface

XLF

SPORTS EXHAUST SYSTEM

XUB

XXR

TAIL LIGHTS, DARKENED

XYB

Image1.jpg

Hang onto it.

My 981 BGTS will only get replaced when I can afford a GT3..

Keep it !

I was also looking at a change last Yr,wife fancies the R8 v10 ,I even contemplated going back to sports bikes,I'd probably get no more than £26k for my 981s as I'm nearing 59k miles - considering the amount of luggage to can pack in these it ticks all of our boxes

The only thing I'd upgrade to now is a GTS 4.0 ... if I win the lottery as a house purchase has quashed any new toys :(

Si 

All,

Thank you for the replies to what is a very first world problem, much appreciated. To respond to a few points;

Lotus - I did go through a phase a few months back looking into them further. In a non-covid world my car needs to be a daily and this put me off slightly but perhaps that is an unfair assumption. 

Alpine - I really like these. Just wish the engine was a bit more interesting. Not driven one though.

R8 V10 - These do really interest me and they are becoming more 'affordable, I would certainly like to try one so Daz if you have I would be fascinated to hear a comparison with a 981s. 

F Type v8 - This was the main consideration alongside the 981s at the time. Then I opened the boot of an F Type convertible and laughed and that was the decision made.

718 GTS 4.0/Spyder - Would love one but will have to wait years for them to depreciate! I have absolutely no doubt they will take the game on from the 981, but right now the cost to change would be over double the value of my car which is money I do not have, and if I did I am not sure I could justify that..

Mclaren/Ferrari - Way out of my league unfortunately....

Modding the car - not for me at this stage as pointed out with the warranty.

The Boxster is a really tough proposition to beat, particularly when my wish list is looks, noise, handling, convertible (ideally) and a boot that takes golf clubs or has enough space for a week away. Taking the car around the NC500 for a week was a perfect example of all these boxes being ticked.

I will however keep a key eye on here to see if others move on from a Boxster and make any interesting comparisons.

Thanks again all.

H

On 3/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, hj04 said:

R8 V10 - These do really interest me and they are becoming more 'affordable, I would certainly like to try one so Daz if you have I would be fascinated to hear a comparison with a 981s. 

I know someone who sold his GT3 and picked up an R8 V10 a couple of days ago... seems happy so far, but then still in the honeymoon period.

The Boxster scores by being every day usable and easy to drive. It loses points for feeling special by that same criteria. 
A modern Elise is more urgent and more fun to drive, assuming you aren’t on motorways or long stretches of autoroute. 
It’s palpably not as good to tour in though. 
R8 is a very wide car. The options on your car for me, consolidate the experience. The PCCB are a thing of joy and the only thing your car lacks for me are bucket seats which seem Uber rare on a Boxster. 

On 3/6/2021 at 10:15 AM, hj04 said:

Yer very good point on the R8. The front storage is not great, the coupe gives you some room behind the seats but I think the Spyder loses that.

What about a stepping stone into a 981 Spyder until you can jump into the 718 variant ?

This is the route I am going to takem, probably next year. If I had the money it would be the 718 Spyder but like you I cannot afford and/or justify that for a summer car.

The 981 Spyder is the top of the 981 tree by some margin in my view and looks stunning with a GT4 engine !  

Could this be an option ?

• 1 year later...

Afternoon all,

I have realised is been over a year since I started this thread. As a brief update I kept the Boxster and added an MC Stradale to sit alongside as a nice contrast.

In the next few weeks or so I will be advertising the Boxster for sale, most likely on Autotrader. I don't think I am allowed to formally post in the for sale section due to not enough posts, but assuming I am not breaking any rules I thought I would drop a message here incase anyone is on the hunt. I am not sure yet what price I am looking to advertise for, I need to get myself upto speed on where the market is.

In terms of the car its a 981 S PDK 3.4 Boxster in Agate Grey and black roof,  registered November 2015. 1 previous owner, currently on approx 46,000 miles. Full Porsche service history and Porsche Warranty until Oct 2022 which of course can be extended. MOT due Oct 2022. I took ownership from approx 11,000 miles and all servicing has been through Porsche Harston. Fuel wise I always use Tesco 99 Momentum. Next service due the earlier of Oct 2023 or around 57,000 miles from memory.

I have pasted the spec below for reference again, highlights include PSE, PASM, PTV, PCCB, PCM, PDLS+, Sports Chrono, Burmester, 18 way Seats.

Reason for sale is being driven by looking to find a boring car for the daily commute and then patiently searching for another convertible for fun weekend/road trip duties. 

Finally @villaman , did you find a 981 spyder? They certainly do interest me.

Spec

CERAMIC - BRAKES (PCCB)

CRUISE CONTROL

SMOKER PACKAGE

INTERIOR LIGHT PACKAGE

P07

P13

P23

XLF

SPORTS EXHAUST SYSTEM

XUB

XXR

TAIL LIGHTS, DARKENED

XYB