986S water pump/coolant change - change the expansion bottle??

dieselpower

Hello all :)

I'm planning on doing the water pump, thermostat and aux belt on the wife's 2002 986S soon.  I'm going to do a full coolant/antifreeze drain and refill.  Is it worth replacing the expansion bottle at the same time?  The car is sitting on 58k miles.

Also, is standard OAT ok or is G30 the way to go?

As ever, thank you for any help 🤠

You can use g12+ or g12++ coolant, same stuff as used by Porsche, although likely someone will be along with contrary advice and tell you only use Porsche coolant or your 18+ year old car will explode.....:crying_anim02:

Coolant tank is a pain to do so unless it's leaking or looking very brittle at 58k it's not had that many heat cycles so i'd not bother.

4 minutes ago, Shazbot said:

You can use g12+ or g12++ coolant, same stuff as used by Porsche, although likely someone will be along with contrary advice and tell you only use Porsche coolant or your 18+ year old car will explode.....:crying_anim02:

Coolant tank is a pain to do so unless it's leaking or looking very brittle at 58k it's not had that many heat cycles so i'd not bother.

Thank you!  I'm happy doing things preventatively, but if there's no point, I won't :)

I've got 6 litres of G12 evo sitting waiting to go in my own car when I do its cambelt, so if the VW stuff is OK, I'd be happy enough buying more and using that. 

I'd read up on full coolant change as there are some good tips on reducing air in the system and best bleeding tactics. the rads are a fair distance from the engine so a lot of hoses and pipes  to bleed.

27 minutes ago, hpi_matrix said:

Where from?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Coolant-Antifreeze-G12-RED-Ready-Mixed-German-Hi-Spec/303185124706

Use code PACK10 for 10% off.

1 hour ago, Shazbot said:

I'd read up on full coolant change as there are some good tips on reducing air in the system and best bleeding tactics. the rads are a fair distance from the engine so a lot of hoses and pipes  to bleed.

I have been :) Think I'll need a good few replacement hose clamps!

• 3 weeks later...

The water pump and thermostat have now been changed.  Flushed the coolant system three times and on the final flush it was pretty much pure deionised water coming out.  Had an issue on the inital drain and first flush as we could only get about 16 litres of the coolant out.  The car was level as it drained.  Had an idea whilst sitting on nightshift to try our car/dog dryer to see if that could blow any more out.  Got another 4 litres out!  So the final refill took just shy of 20 litres of coolant so max 2 litres of deionised water already in the system.  Really pleased.  Highly recommend a vacuum filler, must have saved us hours of bleeding/burping the system.  For all 4 fills, the level dropped about a quarter of a litre within three mins and then stabled.

Thank you for all the help above, glad we didn't need to change the bottle (at least for now!).  The new 04 part number expansion cap has been ordered from Porsche Perth so should have that this week.

Thanks again! 😎

Archived