Rear window

Bobleponge

Hello again,

This time a recommendation for me.

Boxster S 2001, I'm looking to replace the plastic rear window with a glass one.

Any recommendations for someone in the south of England? I live in foreign but once this business is all finished, I'll be over and want to change it so that I can see behind me in winter.

Many thanks

Bob.

Carhood Warehouse, site sponsor, are in Sevenoaks area. Not the cheapest but the cheapest are often not the ones to recommend. They quoted me £775 incl. VAT and fitting last year.

Good Lord, where have you been?  Was worrying one of your foreign ventures hadn't ended successfully.

CHW are the usual - or find a breaker with a facelift roof for sale, 500-ish.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Carhood Warehouse, site sponsor, are in Sevenoaks area. Not the cheapest but the cheapest are often not the ones to recommend. They quoted me £775 incl. VAT and fitting last year.

That's great, will give them a call. Cheers

19 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Good Lord, where have you been?  Was worrying one of your foreign ventures hadn't ended successfully.

CHW are the usual - or find a breaker with a facelift roof for sale, 500-ish.

😊 Sometimes too much travel just takes the life right out of you.

Well me anyway. 

Good shout re a breaker, but any ideas how easy or otherwise a new roof would be to fit? 

New or replacement?

I'm led to believe it's pretty simple, provided you have another pair of hands to help lift.

years ago I found this French 986 breaker but it's not very close to you, halfway between Reims and Paris.

https://www.porsche-boxster-pacific986.fr/casse-automobile-pieces-detachees-breny 

On 3/3/2021 at 1:05 PM, ½cwt said:

Ive got one of these, can’t recommend them highly enough

On 3/3/2021 at 11:13 PM, Menoporsche said:

New or replacement?

I'm led to believe it's pretty simple, provided you have another pair of hands to help lift.

years ago I found this French 986 breaker but it's not very close to you, halfway between Reims and Paris.

https://www.porsche-boxster-pacific986.fr/casse-automobile-pieces-detachees-breny 

Mate that's brilliant, I'll give them a call.

Really appreciate that. This being France, I am convinced it will be cheaper to buy from Steve Strange and get it shipped than go and collect from a French breaker, but I'd loved to be proved wrong.

After looking at all types I went for the BAS one as it looked the same as the original ones due to the glass shape and  has the tiny rubber bead around the glass. Thought the other looked a bit odd without the bead and the window looked to low. 

15 hours ago, Boxsum said:

After looking at all types I went for the BAS one as it looked the same as the original ones due to the glass shape and  has the tiny rubber bead around the glass. Thought the other looked a bit odd without the bead and the window looked to low. 

Exactly what I thought as well. Been planning on getting it done for a few years now, it's just a fair old drive to the south of Wales from the north of England so need to build in a Welsh driving holiday while I'm at it.

6 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

Exactly what I thought as well. Been planning on getting it done for a few years now, it's just a fair old drive to the south of Wales from the north of England so need to build in a Welsh driving holiday while I'm at it.

Win win! 😀

I understand the window they use is exactly the same as the one in the 987, that’s why it looks so good.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:35 AM, Boxsum said:

Win win! 😀

I understand the window they use is exactly the same as the one in the 987, that’s why it looks so good.

think its about £750 ish so its a fair old investment. Hopefully this year maybe, although thats what i said last year.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:28 PM, Bobleponge said:

Mate that's brilliant, I'll give them a call.

Really appreciate that. This being France, I am convinced it will be cheaper to buy from Steve Strange and get it shipped than go and collect from a French breaker, but I'd loved to be proved wrong.

I just now put "casse automobile pieces porsche" into google, got several hits.  I'll let you wade through them :) 

Archived