Hydraulic Jack

ANL

I need to get get hold of a hydraulic Jack to lift the Boxster. Very low profile at the front. Anyone have any suggestions which is the best one to get?

Costco do the arcan low entry jack. Its great value and they occasionally have the 3T jack for the price of the 2T.

[url]https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Garage/Trolley-Jacks-Axle-Stands/Arcan-2750kg-3-Ton-Steel-Service-Jack-Model-XL2750EU/p/254971[/url]

£139.99 

Halfords low profile jack works well for about £50. Only downside is (as with all low priced jacks) the short handle.

1 hour ago, red rocket said:

Halfords low profile jack works well for about £50. Only downside is (as with all low priced jacks) the short handle.

My Halfords jack has started leaking, need a new one myself...

49 minutes ago, Crazymind said:

Here mine. Well built, feels and looks solid, double pump and protection in case you hit the body of your car. 
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj2-5lp-low-profile-garage-trolley-jack?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhP2BBhDdARIsAJEzXlGRq9ys6ArdJ-g2KBJFAfCQs4oep6K4KNYYgJR5Cho8pxt_4VTGeY4aAvmXEALw_wcB

@Crazymind. How long have you had it? I've had this on my short list for a while. 

1 minute ago, cptspaulding said:

@Crazymind. How long have you had it? I've had this on my short list for a while. 

I've read a few bad reports of the SGS jacks which puts me off...

The Arcan jacks look good if they are a deal...

17 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I've read a few bad reports of the SGS jacks which puts me off...

The Arcan jacks look good if they are a deal...

I have two and they are robust. Bought from Costco. 

24 minutes ago, Toeside said:

I have two and they are robust. Bought from Costco. 

Alas, I'm not a member at Costco. I take it the price is ex-VAT? 

I have a £150 voucher from Amazon so would prefer to order from Geoff. 

38 minutes ago, cptspaulding said:

Alas, I'm not a member at Costco. I take it the price is ex-VAT? 

I have a £150 voucher from Amazon so would prefer to order from Geoff. 

Inc Vat I believe. I bought mine between 15 and 10 years ago. I logged in just now and that was the total price as a member. 👍

I also have an SGS low profile one. Apart from the fact its a bit heavy I cant fault it. Got through a few Halfords / Clarke versions before it and they didnt last long.

Had the SGS one for about 5 years and no problems with it at all.

They also do alloy "racing" jacks, but they will be more expensive.

8 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

I also have an SGS low profile one. Apart from the fact its a bit heavy I cant fault it. Got through a few Halfords / Clarke versions before it and they didnt last long.

Had the SGS one for about 5 years and no problems with it at all.

They also do alloy "racing" jacks, but they will be more expensive.

I also have the SGS 2-1/2 ton low profile jack and think it’s a great piece of kit, very solid and in a different league from the Halfrauds offerings, if I had a criticism it would be the weight but that tells you how robust it is, I have had it a couple of years now 

I have an SGS 2 ton trolley jack in plastic case with jacking pad, which was under £40-00, or certainly around that figure, I have had it for 5 years now, no problem, but it doesn’t get everyday use!  I worked on the principal that @ that price it was worth a risk, as I said no problems so far. I know that @ on here SGS are a bit slated, but you pays your money & takes your chance. Being a tight fisted Yorkshire person it fitted the bill.

Avoid SGS!  My 3 ton jack bent and twisted under the load of a Mercedes c class. It was still under warranty and they pretty much made it way to awkward to return and fobbed me off. 

this looks decent https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands-trolley-jacks/halfords-advanced-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack-657305.html

great reviews and Halfords actually honour their warranty. 

47 minutes ago, JayJay1374 said:

Avoid SGS!  My 3 ton jack bent and twisted under the load of a Mercedes c class. It was still under warranty and they pretty much made it way to awkward to return and fobbed me off. 

this looks decent https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands-trolley-jacks/halfords-advanced-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack-657305.html

great reviews and Halfords actually honour their warranty. 

I did exchange one of these at Halfords with no queries when it seems the seal in the cylinder failed and it wouldn't jack after about 10 months.  Replacement going strong at 2½ years.  It is quite compact for storage too.  Wouldn't want to test the limits of the 2t rating though but it got me though a full suspension rebuild on the Boxster last year so ahs more than paid its way as a DIY tool.

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I did exchange one of these at Halfords with no queries when it seems the seal in the cylinder failed and it wouldn't jack after about 10 months.  Replacement going strong at 2½ years.  It is quite compact for storage too.  Wouldn't want to test the limits of the 2t rating though but it got me though a full suspension rebuild on the Boxster last year so ahs more than paid its way as a DIY tool.

Still impresses me that you did a complete suspension rebuild at home 👍

4 hours ago, the baron said:

Still impresses me that you did a complete suspension rebuild at home 👍

You know what, me too!  Biggest job I've ever undertaken on my own car.  I'd previously done front springs on one car and a single wishbone on another but otherwise little more than brake disc and pads or an cooling hose before I got the Porsche so it has been quiet a project over the last couple of years, but that's why I bought it to work on as well as drive.   It is just bolts to undo, the odd bit heat to get them out and then put it all back together methodically.  Patience and time, then go and enjoy an even better car. 😀

Archived