PCM4.0 - Region locked to GCC countries

Phoenix Rising

I am after some advice in regards to my 718 PCM 4.0 system.  I bought the car in the UAE in 2017 from new with the Nav option, and imported it back to UK in 2018. I have issues with my OPC being unable to recode the unit to install UK/EU maps - they say it is region locked to GCC and cannot be unlocked, the only option is for me to replace the  entire unit at a cost of £5000!  Has anyone experienced the same issue?  I am at a loss as to how Porsche is unable to resolve. 

Welcome.  Quite a problem for a first post!

I guess anything is possible with Porsche. We can tag @Richard Hamilton who is often good on these things, and now has a 718.

I wonder how much this is a VAG issue in general (greater chance of finding a solution) or Porsche especially.

I don't know how to do it on PCM4, but have converted Middle Eastern PCM3.1 systems. Porsche Centres can't do it, and want to replace the whole head unit, as you have found. 

As far as I know, nobody has cracked the 4.0 Middle Eastern region change yet. 

Thanks Richard, I was advised to post on here by John Mutter who mentioned your name.  I have found a guy on the 718 Forum named Sima who has said he can do it, just needs to know my firmware version.  I will update you all if he can do it - only issue is I am in Singapore and my Cayman is in the UK!  Question is will my OPC share my firmware version!

17 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Thanks Richard, I was advised to post on here by John Mutter who mentioned your name.  I have found a guy on the 718 Forum named Sima who has said he can do it, just needs to know my firmware version.  I will update you all if he can do it - only issue is I am in Singapore and my Cayman is in the UK!  Question is will my OPC share my firmware version!

There is probably a screen which shows the version on the PCM itself.  On PCM 3.1 you could access it directly by pressing INFO and SOURCE together, but you may find a menu screen somewhere that shows it on PCM4.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:57 AM, Richard Hamilton said:

There is probably a screen which shows the version on the PCM itself.  On PCM 3.1 you could access it directly by pressing INFO and SOURCE together, but you may find a menu screen somewhere that shows it on PCM4.

I got a code from Portmouth Porsche which wasnt recognisable as a firmware version, 0807?  I think they are playing diversionary tactics in the hope that I give up!

I have had a couple of replies from Porsche GB, a lady who fobbed me off with "it cant be done" without a valid reason, but she did write this:

"Please be assured, I have sought clarification from our colleagues at Porsche AG. They have confirmed and advise that it is not possible to install the requested navigation data on your imported vehicle. 

An attempt to do so would change the region code in the Maintenance of Vehicle Data and cause a conflict in the region codes in the vehicle systems. The vehicle would lose its original Country Code operating license and potentially affect other systems within the vehicle."

I then got a reply from a guy called David who is the (a?) Manager of Porsche Customer Assistance Centre in Reading, basically telling me again that it isnt possible to do so just believe Porsche when they say it cannot be done.  I replied in kind - lets see if I get another response!

As far as I am concerned, but may be wrong, recoding of any system should be possible, it is only software after all, hence Porsche as the IP owner should have the capability?  Any thoughts?.

Archived