Petrol filler flap not locking

BBB

A minor niggle, but still annoying me. The actuator is working, as the plastic pin moves backwards and forwards, but the pin doesn’t move forwards far enough to engage in the ring in the external flap. The emergency release cable has a metal ring that sits over the actuator pin and it sits at an angle, which hinders the movement of the pin. I’ve tried greasing the pin, pushing the emergency ring backwards and this just works for one operation, then it returns to the same position and stops locking.

Live with it, or is there something I’m missing?

The pin is a push fit on the actuator. It may have come loose. Although I am surprised it still moves to the lock position if it’s come loose.

Getting at the actuator is a pain as it’s above the evap tank in the wing and you need a Torx bit on a ratchet spanner to loosen it in it’s mounting.

• 1 month later...

This could be the ‘fuel cap lock guide rose’ is missing? It’s a small plastic/rubber part -83p OEM. This centres and guides the pin towards the ring in the flap. This was recommended by my local Indy with 30 yrs in Porsche.