981 Ducktail Installation

daz05

Hi Folks,

My 981 has a new look and I've made a video documenting the 981 ducktail installation, please watch if it's of interest I am very keen to hear your thoughts on both these changes I made and of course happy to help you if you wish to do something similar.  Thanks to @Megatronfor the measurements, we are very fortunate to have such a great community.

As always likes and comments on the youtube platform appreciated

Thanks

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

That looks great - happy to have been of some help.  The badge looks perfect and one of my all time favourite bits of classic Porsches design is the ducktail - I really wanted a ducktail spoiler on my old 911 but just never go round to sorting it before I sold it, which I still regret.

Amazing how much of a difference it can make, looks totally standard yet makes a huge visual difference.  New subscriber!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, daz05 said:

Hi Folks,

My 981 has a new look and I've made a video documenting the 981 ducktail installation, please watch if it's of interest I am very keen to hear your thoughts on both these changes I made and of course happy to help you if you wish to do something similar.  Thanks to @Megatronfor the measurements, we are very fortunate to have such a great community.

As always likes and comments on the youtube platform appreciated

Thanks

Daz,

I don't approve, think this would look far better if it was resprayed GT Silver and fitted to a 63 plate Boxster S

mine :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not I huge fan of the 911 ducktail look ( I know, I know) so I didn’t think id like this, but actually in down position it looks fantastic, up position, who cares you don’t see that yourself.     

I assume you ordered it and then had it painted?

Roads must be bumpy up there it’s caused your number plate to fall off!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I’m not I huge fan of the 911 ducktail look ( I know, I know) so I didn’t think id like this, but actually in down position it looks fantastic, up position, who cares you don’t see that yourself.     

I assume you ordered it and then had it painted?

Roads must be bumpy up there it’s caused your number plate to fall off!

I managed to find an OEM one for sale, it was black and had it painted body colour at a body shop I trust. They did a great job.

Yes number plate I should have explained that I wanted to showcase this in its purest form... Don't worry all reattached again now. 

You do get a faint glimpse of it up now in your rear view, wish it was a bit more as it's nice to see it but yes stationary it stays down.

Great vid again , hunting now for one and have ordered GTs rear lights as well .going to put the Emc2 front 991 spoiler back on for the summer as well.J presume you decided against it Daz 

Edited by zagamuffin

2 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

Great vid again , hunting now for one and have ordered GTs rear lights as well .going to put the Emc2 front 991 spoiler back on for the summer as well.J presume you decided against it Daz 

Thanks Zaga, glad you enjoyed it I have for now because I'm not sure I need to see it in person and decide what look in going for.

Part numbers are in the video description in YT mate, you need the Ducktail and the brackets left and right.

I'm spending more not driving it than I was driving 😂😂😂

Fantastic modification Daz, never thought it was going to turn out as great as it has. My compliments Sir! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Afrikaner said:

Another great video and this again shows how we can make our cars individual. Keep up the good work look forward to next one!

Cheers 

Cheers 👍. With the general feedback I've  received I think we may see more of these so maybe I shouldn't have shared this one 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbob1 said:

That looks really good. Well done for getting the badge level and evenly spaced too!

If anything I probably prefer the badge blackening and move to the new spoiler.  I'm eyeing up my badges now for a possible debadging exercise.

@daz05 was it a problem getting the sticky stuff off the bootlid?  I removed the mahoosive Vauxhall badge off the back of my VX220 Tubby, used dental floss to cut through the tape.  No problem getting the badge off but trying to clean up the tape residue took aaaaages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moospeed said:

If anything I probably prefer the badge blackening and move to the new spoiler.  I'm eyeing up my badges now for a possible debadging exercise.

@daz05 was it a problem getting the sticky stuff off the bootlid?  I removed the mahoosive Vauxhall badge off the back of my VX220 Tubby, used dental floss to cut through the tape.  No problem getting the badge off but trying to clean up the tape residue took aaaaages.

In my mind there is case for both options I'll give this a chance and see how it goes, I'm a dab hand at swapping it now !

It wasn't too bad this time because I had already moved the Boxster emblem and moved the Porsche logo down as I thought it was crowded back there. The first time I had to heat it and then spray with wd40 to get it off. You could then see the outline so I had to polish the area with my DA.

20 hours ago, daz05 said:

In my mind there is case for both options I'll give this a chance and see how it goes, I'm a dab hand at swapping it now !

It wasn't too bad this time because I had already moved the Boxster emblem and moved the Porsche logo down as I thought it was crowded back there. The first time I had to heat it and then spray with wd40 to get it off. You could then see the outline so I had to polish the area with my DA.

To my eyes moving it down really makes a difference, and well done for remembering to take a tracing of the location - that's the sort of good idea I usually have after removing them 😆

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, moospeed said:

To my eyes moving it down really makes a difference, and well done for remembering to take a tracing of the location - that's the sort of good idea I usually have after removing them 😆

Yes nowadays I always work with reversibility in mind!

Very cool!

Really sets the car off, the black lettering against Guards red a good choice too.  

I spotted this "kit" version pre-painted with the brackets.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-2016-Porsche-Boxster-981-Ducktail-Rear-Wing-Spoiler-PAINTED-/133643272723. but then also spotted it's in Florida :( 

Great video @Daz car looking awesome (and very well detailed!) on some of those shots

16 minutes ago, Withy said:

Very cool!

Really sets the car off, the black lettering against Guards red a good choice too.  

I spotted this "kit" version pre-painted with the brackets.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-2016-Porsche-Boxster-981-Ducktail-Rear-Wing-Spoiler-PAINTED-/133643272723. but then also spotted it's in Florida :( 

Great video @Daz car looking awesome (and very well detailed!) on some of those shots

how much do you think you need to add on for duty and vat when HMRC spot it?

4 hours ago, villaman said:

so about £120 on top of the purchase price and it comes painted though (based on 5% duty which ive just made up in my head).   

I looked into a ducktail spoiler a few weeks back, i couldn't find any UK suppliers strangely enough, 911 design had one for a caymen but they are useless when i spoke to them, they said he isnt one for a boxster :(