Is this for real? 5k from new!

jonogt6

MOT history shows first MOT not until 2008 then nothing till 2015 but the mileage adds up but then the roof is out of the guttering on the n/s which is usually worn elastic.... which is weird for 5k miles.

Interior is not that clean, does not look that well prepared or looked after in my opinion.. I would be suspicious, seems cheap but lots of red flags

Edited by Bike Loon

Interior looks too worn for 5K miles - mine has around 80K miles and the driver seat isn't that bad, especially the bolsters. 

Also, with 5K miles - there would be the worry about the IMS - someone on youtube purchased a 2.7 Boxster with 20k odd miles and when he took it to Porsche for a clutch I think it was they said that he was lucky he got there in time to save the IMS and car.

EDIT: going through the pictures, there is a lot of wear on the interior controls and small scratches which suggest it's either not a 5k mile car OR has been very abused in its life.

Edited by usman10316

Looks like an iffy colour match driver's door to front wing and bumper to bonnet and left wing.  The under bumper plastic trims in front of the wheel arches has been painted silver not the original black plastic finish. And that is not 5k miles of wear on the driver seat although the steering wheel looks pretty unworn.  There is also making on the dash around the head unit.  Bonnet crest is also badly fitted, they needed too invest in a new rubber backing.

Only idea I have is stolen and recovered but had been partly stripped for parts before recovery, hence Cat N.

Edited by ½cwt

10 hours ago, Crazymind said:

CAT N. It would be interesting to know when the crash happened.  5+ owners. Maybe speedo replaced after the crash... doesn’t look brand new. That seat had some 60/70k miles on it or very heavy drivers. 

This ^ pedal wear would also be a giveaway...

The drivers seat should look more like what the passenger seat looks like.  Stereo knobs would not look like that after 5k.  Other than that it looks very nice for a 986 of that year (colour matching is often difficult to evaluate in photos). Check the dot markings on the tyres, are these supposed to be original tyres?.   Brake disk/pad thicknesses should also give a good clue.

That car is an 80k miler at least......even the wear on the accelerator peddle is impossible after only 5k miles, same with the wear on the steering wheel.........very bad colour match on paint as well....looks like a right dogs dinner 

These are going for 17/18k on autotrader with higher mileage than this one.”

🤣🤣🤣🤣 really!!!

3 shades of silver, and overspray on the wheel arch liners would have me walking away at £5K let alone £9K - The tired drivers seat and general grubbiness of it make it comical, bet it sells thou, people have different standards!

On the same note, I went with a friend last lockdown easing to look at a 991.2 C2S he was interested in at a well respected indie - Counted 6 car park dinks in it from the reception desk (It got worse the closer we got!) and they wanted £70+K, when asked what he thought about the car as the salesman was trying to close the deal, told them honestly that it was not well presented and he would look elsewhere - The car was sold 3 days later!

8 minutes ago, Stu67 said:

On the same note, I went with a friend last lockdown easing to look at a 991.2 C2S he was interested in at a well respected indie - Counted 6 car park dinks in it from the reception desk (It got worse the closer we got!) and they wanted £70+K, when asked what he thought about the car as the salesman was trying to close the deal, told them honestly that it was not well presented and he would look elsewhere - The car was sold 3 days later!

have been to a number of dealers who don't prep the car until after sale so that prospective buyers see the actual damage.

When i bought from Maundrells, they told me that they regulary have to re-spray the noses of boxsters and 911's due to stone chips, but wait until the car is sold so that the buyer sees it for what it is and not a freshly painted bumper which could be down to accident damage.

I get the concept, but if i'm splashing 70k+ i'd expect it to be prepared to within an inch of its life!

42 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

have been to a number of dealers who don't prep the car until after sale so that prospective buyers see the actual damage.

When i bought from Maundrells, they told me that they regulary have to re-spray the noses of boxsters and 911's due to stone chips, but wait until the car is sold so that the buyer sees it for what it is and not a freshly painted bumper which could be down to accident damage.

I get the concept, but if i'm splashing 70k+ i'd expect it to be prepared to within an inch of its life!

There's the rub, this was prepped(!), inc a front end respray (ala OPC used /approved) -  I think it's just a different level of what people see as acceptable on a used car, honestly don't think they had noticed it/thought it mattered, and the same will go for the 986 in the OP's post - Luckily for the motor trade not everyone is as fussy or just wanting it right (Depending on what side of the fence you sit) 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at he pics again, it’s comical how different the paint is on the drivers door, it’s obviously had a ding in the side which has meant new door and drivers seat hence high wear as it’s from a different car, wouldn’t surprise me if they just swapped the door out and not sprayed it.

• 4 weeks later...