Two weeks in to ownership - initial thoughts.

bensaunders

From my previous post, some have you may have read that I have I recently returned to the Porsche brand having delved into some Italian cars (4C, GranTurismo & California) and my goodness what a difference! The 2.7 base Boxster may well be the slowest and cheapest of these cars, but it's (IMHO) by far the best. The other three sat in my garage until I had to use them, but suddenly I'm trying to find a reason to go out in the Boxster... especially with the roof down! The build quality is so much better and the car feels really tight, even though its 9 years old (although it has only covered 20,000 miles). The engine note, whilst ceraintly no where near that of the GranTurismo or even the California, is still magical.  

I think I got lucky as I have a really nicely spec'ed car and here are my thoughts..

Extended Leather - Love it and for me it really improves the interior look of the car
PDK - Was a must and I love the PDK box, but I drive in manual 80% of the time
PSE - It was a must for me and I'm not disappointed
PSAM - Wasn't bothered about this, but I really like the option to change the ride depending on the setting and driving conditions
Sports Chrono - Wasn't really bothered about this... but with the PSE in Sport Plus, the pops and cracks are fantastic. I also like the clock on the dash but I'm aware many don't
Sports seats with Crests - Love them, wanted them and I think the crests are the finishing touch they deserve. In fact, I think all Porsches should have crested head rests as standard!
Sports Design Steering Wheel - This was a must have and I love it. Personally, I really don't like the PDK buttons on the other steering wheels at all.

However, I wish it had the following:

Cruise control - I am so used to this when on motorways, I wish I had it... I guess it could be a retro fit
Dual climate - Why is this not standard!?!? - so wish my car had this... can it be retro fitted?
PCM rather than the CDR31 - Not for the nav as I would never use it. Just for the better resolution display! I am having CarPlay added to the CDR31 (NM Automotive) but it would look so much better on the PCM.

Thats it... so far so good and I love this car! Can't wait to drive it all through the summer months!

Cheers

Ben

• Like 4

Thats identical spec to my cayman except for the chrono, I hate the cdr with no nav or provision to play music from a usb stick, also wish it had a boxster bumper as I can't stand the round drl's! they just look wrong especially with the ugly parking sensor next to them ,whats wrong with smoothed into the bumper like the middle ones?

• Like 1

I also picked up my base Boxster just a few weeks ago and I share your enthusiasm. I was lucky to find a fully loaded Black Edition (any colour you like, sir, as long as it’s ... ).

Cruise is available for retrofit from OPCs and indies. It includes a new stalk assembly. Ball-park GBP500. Many people think cruise is inappropriate in a driver’s car because obviously you want to actually drive the car, and I complete agree. But for me, it’s an important ‘safety’ feature on motorways especially with all the 50s and (not-at-all-Smart) Motorways in the UK. So if its a DD which means you are probably on motorways a least some of the time, definitely worth it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PatrickN said:

I also picked up my base Boxster just a few weeks ago and I share your enthusiasm. I was lucky to find a fully loaded Black Edition (any colour you like, sir, as long as it’s ... ).

Cruise is available for retrofit from OPCs and indies. It includes a new stalk assembly. Ball-park GBP500. Many people think cruise is inappropriate in a driver’s car because obviously you want to actually drive the car, and I complete agree. But for me, it’s an important ‘safety’ feature on motorways especially with all the 50s and (not-at-all-Smart) Motorways in the UK. So if its a DD which means you are probably on motorways a least some of the time, definitely worth it.

I find cruise control invaluable in built-up areas (villages, rather than towns).  Staying below 30 in the Boxster requires constant attention, but it's simple to set the cruise to 30 when you enter the village, and just glide through.  The control arm on the Boxster is really easy to use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

Guy round the corner had a Maser for a long time and I really lusted after one. That whole money pit thing steered me away. Sounded epic though. I'll stick with the boxster. Always used to think German cars were well-built and dull. Wrong..….

The GranTurismo sounded amazing! By far the best stock exhaust on pretty much any car. But the interior was so dated (it seemed to be previous Ben Ferrari parts bin), the electrics felt fragile and it was big... really big. It was also frustrating that it had to live on a trickle charger. The Boxster is much more agile and so much more fun. But it also feels solid and well built.

This was mine..

IMG_0254

On 3/29/2021 at 9:41 PM, bensaunders said:

The 2.7 base Boxster may well be the slowest and cheapest of these cars, but it's (IMHO) by far the best

suddenly I'm trying to find a reason to go out in the Boxster... especially with the roof down!

Extended Leather - Love it and for me it really improves the interior look of the car
PDK - Was a must and I love the PDK box, but I drive in manual 80% of the time
PSE - It was a must for me and I'm not disappointed
PSAM - Wasn't bothered about this, but I really like the option to change the ride depending on the setting and driving conditions
Sports Chrono - Wasn't really bothered about this... but with the PSE in Sport Plus, the pops and cracks are fantastic. I also like the clock on the dash but I'm aware many don't
Sports seats with Crests - Love them, wanted them and I think the crests are the finishing touch they deserve. In fact, I think all Porsches should have crested head rests as standard!
Sports Design Steering Wheel - This was a must have and I love it. Personally, I really don't like the PDK buttons on the other steering wheels at all

Are you me?

Aside from the crested seats which I don't have I could've written all of that, and I agree wholeheartedly 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonSta said:

The one round the corner was the same colour but it had that 'tart's boudoir' white interior. Still liked it though. Guy said if he took it to the dealer to have the oil checked somehow it would come back will an invoice for £5000.

How did you like the 4C?

The 4C was beautiful and a real head turner.... but essentially it was an Italian Lotus. It was hard work and had very few creature comforts. There were also quirks, like the way the boot opened, and you had to put the brace in place to keep it up like a bonnet...no hydraulic arm. Parking was hard work as there was no power steering… in fact, the steering in general was a bit of an adventure as it would occasionally pull to the left.

If the 4C had the build quality, engine and interior of a Cayman (981), it would have been the perfect car.

Here is my 4C, the paint was amazing as it looked so different depending on the lighting...

IMG_4507

IMG_5403

Edited by bensaunders
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:41 PM, bensaunders said:

However, I wish it had the following:

Cruise control - I am so used to this when on motorways, I wish I had it... I guess it could be a retro fit

About £500 from the OPC if you needed it. Had it retro fitted to my first 981. Independents might be cheaper

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 1:45 PM, Required said:

I find cruise control invaluable in built-up areas (villages, rather than towns).  Staying below 30 in the Boxster requires constant attention, but it's simple to set the cruise to 30 when you enter the village, and just glide through.  The control arm on the Boxster is really easy to use.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:31 PM, mneil said:

Totally agree with the fitting of cruise👍 has kept me out of trouble for years😃.

I've had it retro-fitted on 3 Boxsters now.  It only has to save you in a couple of sets of motorway roadworks and it's paid for itself.

• Like 1

Looks like you have got/had a great selection of cars, impressed. I have had my 2.7PDK for about two months now and absolutely love it. I had a 987.1S which was brilliant, but love the improved interior/ looks of the 981. I dont miss the bigger engine, you just learn how to live with less torque and give it more beans...bonus. Of course it helps having PSE, second button I press after stop start. I have 20" wheels without PASM, but apart from the major potholes which anything struggles with I am happy with the ride. Cruise great in slow speed areas and average 50`s on motorways. My biggest complaint has got to be the headlights, reminds me of my first car.. a 1958 6V Volkswagon Beetle.

Nice review thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:12 AM, Kev73 said:

Thats identical spec to my cayman except for the chrono, I hate the cdr with no nav or provision to play music from a usb stick, also wish it had a boxster bumper as I can't stand the round drl's! they just look wrong especially with the ugly parking sensor next to them ,whats wrong with smoothed into the bumper like the middle ones?

Hi Kev,

I have now had the carplay mod fitted to the CDR31 and its a game changer. At first, I was disappointed as the resolution is poor and it all appears slightly washed out. Apple maps were useless as I could see the route, but none of the roads around them. However, the functionality is exceptional and I now use Waze in night mode and the nav is brilliant and easy to see. Everything else, including Siri, music and podcasts work like a dream too. I can also return to the stock look when I want, which was important to me. I will add some photos when I get around to it.

Cheers

Ben

21 hours ago, fru3 said:

Looks like you have got/had a great selection of cars, impressed. I have had my 2.7PDK for about two months now and absolutely love it. I had a 987.1S which was brilliant, but love the improved interior/ looks of the 981. I dont miss the bigger engine, you just learn how to live with less torque and give it more beans...bonus. Of course it helps having PSE, second button I press after stop start. I have 20" wheels without PASM, but apart from the major potholes which anything struggles with I am happy with the ride. Cruise great in slow speed areas and average 50`s on motorways. My biggest complaint has got to be the headlights, reminds me of my first car.. a 1958 6V Volkswagon Beetle.

Nice review thanks.

Apparently 981 can be coded to remember the previous setting for stop/start.   You would only have to press it one more time. 

Edited by Paul P

13 hours ago, bensaunders said:

Hi Kev,

I have now had the carplay mod fitted to the CDR31 and its a game changer. At first, I was disappointed as the resolution is poor and it all appears slightly washed out. Apple maps were useless as I could see the route, but none of the roads around them. However, the functionality is exceptional and I now use Waze in night mode and the nav is brilliant and easy to see. Everything else, including Siri, music and podcasts work like a dream too. I can also return to the stock look when I want, which was important to me. I will add some photos when I get around to it.

Cheers

Ben

I cant be doing with all this apple waze lark, all i want is a system thats in the car already and I can play my compilations from a usb stick, cant be doing with messing around with phone connecting and all that sh1te, just wanna get in and go!

I'm with you, my other car has Apple Carplay, DAB etc etc and all I do is play music off a 32gb stick or stream music off the phone (the Boxster can do this too)..

I have updated the maps in the Boxster though.

The trouble with streaming from the phone is the way the PCM takes several minutes to establish a Bluetooth connection.  This is annoying enough when you first get into the car.  It's infuriating when you stop briefly to go into a shop or fill up with petrol and find it's lost the connection again, so you have to fiddle with the Source button until BT reappears.