PSE failed

TrevTee

The PSE has gone from working to being all quiet over the last few weeks. I had a look at Test Drive Scotland Youtube clip on the PSE and found both sides had seized solid.  I was surprised they had stopped working and had seized up so quickly, thought it would be more gradual as it is used regularly.  I was booked in with local OPC today who confirmed the fault and have ordered a replacement system for each side.  Hopefully about a week before the parts arrive.

Reading this and other forums for a long time, I’ve come to the conclusion that the PSE must be up there as the most unreliable and utterly pointless options available. All it does is make a noise - when it works - with no performance gains whatsoever. Surely those who desire a loud growl before the howl would be better off biting the bullet and fitting a decent performance exhaust. Or am I missing something ...? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RS2 said:

Reading this and other forums for a long time, I’ve come to the conclusion that the PSE must be up there as the most unreliable and utterly pointless options available. All it does is make a noise - when it works - with no performance gains whatsoever. Surely those who desire a loud growl before the howl would be better off biting the bullet and fitting a decent performance exhaust. Or am I missing something ...? 

Couldn't have put it better myself,

Light blue touch paper and retire 😂😂

1 hour ago, TrevTee said:

The PSE has gone from working to being all quiet over the last few weeks. I had a look at Test Drive Scotland Youtube clip on the PSE and found both sides had seized solid.  I was surprised they had stopped working and had seized up so quickly, thought it would be more gradual as it is used regularly.  I was booked in with local OPC today who confirmed the fault and have ordered a replacement system for each side.  Hopefully about a week before the parts arrive.

Is it warranty or are you paying? How old is the system and what sort of mileage are we talking?

35 minutes ago, RS2 said:

It’s a very subjective matter. I had it fitted and it just gives an acoustic sound to heighten your sensual experience. I mean you drive a Porsche so in my case want to be immersed in the experience and the PSE does this for me. But it’s down to personal choice. I mean why buy a 2.7 when there’s a 3.2. Because we are all different and want different things. Respecting individuals differences is key to everyone getting on. Just my opinion of course 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RS2 said:

Yes.

57 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Is it warranty or are you paying? How old is the system and what sort of mileage are we talking?

Its a warranty job.  The car is only 5 years old and 16500 miles young.

2 minutes ago, TrevTee said:

Its a warranty job.  The car is only 5 years old and 16500 miles young.

Wow that’s bad. I must admit I do have concerns about the valves seizing. Had the PSE retro fitted in Nov last year. I suppose lubricant and regular use might help but I think also it’s just bad luck if it does happen 😕

1 hour ago, RS2 said:

PSE gives you two options that are worth having. A nice quiet exhaust when leaving home keeps the neighbours happy, also enjoy cruising on the motorway without any droning and being able to hear some music.  Option two, a childish noise at the press of a switch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, RS2 said:

You are way off the mark imho, PSE is a great bit of kit when it works! Just sounds absolutely glorious, every drive out with fellow Porsche owners I get asked what has been done to the car to make it sound so great.

It's also oem so perfectly friendly when you are not in the mood. Aftermarket in my experience always has some kind of compromise somewhere.

But why does it fail, well the car is producing water on cold start so if you don't go for a proper drive and blow the cobwebs out the valves end up sitting in that water and they seize. If the car is used properly and not moved off the drive into the garage for a week it will be reliable and work for many years.  981s don't tend to be used daily so the problem seems worse than it should be.

Also worth noting that when they seize open they don't sound the same, I think the systems know something is wrong during cold start routine and then the ecu changes the map to suit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Wow that’s bad. I must admit I do have concerns about the valves seizing. Had the PSE retro fitted in Nov last year. I suppose lubricant and regular use might help but I think also it’s just bad luck if it does happen 😕

Not bad luck, whenever you start it, drive it!

• Like 3

The valves default to closed when you turn the engine off, so I would think it would be unlikely for them to fail in the open position as the exhaust would be nice and hot at that time.  I always make sure to get the car fully up to temp every time I use it, to try to keep everything moving as intended.

PSE would be on my must have list of options.  I have to be careful locally with the Scooby and especially the Monaro with the noise that that makes when I leave home.  It is nice to have a switch when making progress to hear the car at its best, but not all the time.

Is it me or is it only the people who regretted not getting pse moan about it 🤷‍♂️Surely the reason for having a flat 6 is too hear it or am I missing something 

• Like 4

All I can add is that I wouldn't be without mine - it makes driving the car a proper event to my ears. Unreliable or not, I personally see it as a must have option. It may be my inner child speaking, but it sounds glorious to me!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RS2 said:

Sorry but totally disagree. I have painfully missed my PSE. It still sounds nice but I have stopped grinning. The noise is so incredibly important when it comes to driving pleasure and the 981 S is one of the most brilliant sounding cars out there. For me only a Ferrari 458 beats it.

OP I had the same issue - Car is used at least every other day as its my daily and both my sides seized. OPC has ordered parts to be fitted on Thursday under warranty. Again similar to you 2015 year and around 17k on the clock.

Edited by IATM
  • Like 3

Our cars are a rolling mass of electro mechanical items and assemblies.  Any kind of engineering understanding would appreciate that as such these assemblies can be prone to not working exactly as designed & that's life.

Sensitive folks should probably not buy such high risk complicated things as cars and especially so ones with more complex features.

Personally I love the PSE and accept that it's design, materials, location and environment can cause operational issues.

I'm also aware that my wheels could fall off, the engine could blow up and I might die tomorrow so will get in it and give it a good thrashing which coincidentally the car seems to manage just fine.

Edited by GTSMarky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Our cars are a rolling mass of electro mechanical items and assemblies.  Any kind of engineering understanding would appreciate that as such these assemblies can be prone to not working exactly as designed & that's life.

Sensitive folks should probably not buy such high risk complicated things as cars and especially so ones with more complex features.

Personally I love the PSE and accept that it's design, materials, location and environment can cause operational issues.

I'm also aware that my wheels could fall off, the engine could blow up and I might die tomorrow so will get in it and give it a good thrashing which coincidentally the car seems to manage just fine.

Mark, there’s nothing you can teach me about bending and mending cars. I spent twenty-five years of my younger life (and a fortune in cash) doing just that, all in the pursuit of lap times. I owned and modded several track cars, both naturally aspirated and turbocharged. All of them were LOUD. But here’s the rub ....every single growl, pop, bang, hiss and squeal was real, the natural consequence of a heavily modified vehicle being driven hard. 
If it floats your boat to tool around public roads playing racing-driver in your synthesised toy then, by all means, knock yourself out. Porsche know very well there is one born every minute. You are just number eleventy-seven thousand four hundred and something...