PSE failed

TrevTee

1 hour ago, moospeed said:

It's one of the few must-have options on my list now, I had a long list before buying a 981 but now after living with the car a bit it's very short list PSE is written in ink not pencil.

Same here PSE wasn't a consideration when I was originally looking but my first ne just happened to come with it. Now on my 2nd and had it retrofitted by the OPC as part of the purchase deal. Drove it for a month without one fitted while they ordered the parts and booked me in, sounded so muted and boring without it. Now its fitted it makes the car sound so much better even when the popping sport mode is off. I certainly wouldn't have one without it on a 981, makes the engine sound like it should not a muted bore fest to please the EU sound police. 

On 3/31/2021 at 6:37 PM, RS2 said:

Mark, there’s nothing you can teach me about bending and mending cars. I spent twenty-five years of my younger life (and a fortune in cash) doing just that, all in the pursuit of lap times. I owned and modded several track cars, both naturally aspirated and turbocharged. All of them were LOUD. But here’s the rub ....every single growl, pop, bang, hiss and squeal was real, the natural consequence of a heavily modified vehicle being driven hard. 
If it floats your boat to tool around public roads playing racing-driver in your synthesised toy then, by all means, knock yourself out. Porsche know very well there is one born every minute. You are just number eleventy-seven thousand four hundred and something...

Sounds like you know everything there is to know then - good for you.  

I'll do absolutely as I wish with my BGTS and it's synthesised 3.4 NA motor, as will all Porsche drivers with a PSE of whom there are a fair few..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark, there’s nothing you can teach me about bending and mending cars. I spent twenty-five years of my younger life (and a fortune in cash) doing just that, all in the pursuit of lap times. I owned and modded several track cars, both naturally aspirated and turbocharged. All of them were LOUD. But here’s the rub ....every single growl, pop, bang, hiss and squeal was real, the natural consequence of a heavily modified vehicle being driven hard. 
If it floats your boat to tool around public roads playing racing-driver in your synthesised toy then, by all means, knock yourself out. Porsche know very well there is one born every minute. You are just number eleventy-seven thousand four hundred and something...

Funniest car related statements I’ve read in quite a while lol....I guess we should all just hands the keys over to our sports cars and buy a Tesla .....what colour are you getting ?

• Like 3

I've had this debate with a 987 owner on the pops and bangs. Yes we can't argue they are fake but....they are fun.

However, I know you know that PSE isn't really about pops n bangs it sounds tremendous at full chat which is the important bit so why settle for a car without it when you have spent so much chasing noise in the past?

• Like 3

Can anyone posit why I read more about 981 PSE failures here than 987 which are older and supposedly more likely to fail? Design change?  Or just numbers (I think PSE wasn’t so popular on the 987)?

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Can anyone posit why I read more about 981 PSE failures here than 987 which are older and supposedly more likely to fail? Design change?  Or just numbers (I think PSE wasn’t so popular on the 987)?

I have no idea to be honest I guess the design is similar if not the same? Can you clarify.

Maybe it's less obvious when it fails Vs the 981, the pops and bangs disappear.

I’ve had it on both my boxster, a 981 and 987.........you can tell immediately when it is working or not but I guess if you bought a car with it initially not working then you may not realise.......but no matter what as soon as you press the button you notice a change in tone of the engine even at idle.......my understanding is that both the 981 and 987 work the same ie I have basically the same engine / exhaust in my 987 as I did in my 981.....the only difference being the 981 has the sound symposer into the cabin but not sure if the 987 does ?.....also my 981 was  a GTS which has different mapping again and made the PSE all the sweeter over a normal S......in summary to my ear my 987.2 S with PSE sounds the same as a 981 S with PSE but does not sound like a 981GTS due to the different engine mapping the GTS has........it sounds glorious but the GTS was on a different level again....

I also don’t class it as cheating as the sound symposer is the actual sound of the engine / induction from the engine but just piped into the cabin, it is not a fake artifically created noise that you find in some cars, its like saying a track car is a fake noise as it has less sound deadening and therefore is louder in the cabin 😉

The PSE works by the valve by default being open, when you turn the ignition on the initial sound is with the PSE on and then the valves shut so the default why the car is being driven is PSE off, when either the PSE button is pressed or the ignition is turned off the valve is opened again.......I thought it could stick in either position but is more likely to stick in the open position ie PSE on as that is its “resting state” when the car is just parked up......the light on the PSE will not be lit but in effect the valve is stuck open so PSE is active and cannot be switched off as the valve has stuck .......I may be completely wrong with that but that was my understanding......

The first thing I do when I get in the car is switch the PSE on, many just disconnect the electrics that operate the valve so that it is always left on but I like the drama of pressing the button, the option to have it off (which I never use but its there), the fact the PSE light is lit in the car and it also ensure the valve works and my logic is therefore less likely to seize through never moving .....

I have always said there are 3 essentials for a boxster road use = PASM (with DSC module), sport Chrono (even in a manual) and PSE.......they all alter the character of the car and add to the “sports car” experience which is what a boxster should be all about so why wouldn’t you want them.....makes no sense to me

• Like 1

Funny post - made me smile. I have a Tesla and a 987 with PSE - can confirm that neither both cars have their unique traits but are def not a replacement for each other - its a great change to get out of the ultra quiet tech and jump into the PSE environment 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, easy tiger!! The pops and bangs with the PSE are real, the sound isn't being generated through speakers, the car is actually making them so they're not fake they're just....... unnecessary! I certainly agree they're not a by-product of a highly tuned performance engine but rather just deliberately generated to enhance the driving experience, hence real but unnecessary. But then driving a 3.4 litre sports car on a twisty B-road at 6000rpm just for the fun of it is pretty unnecessary but we all seem to enjoy it! And there you have it - it's FUN and the PSE adds to that fun factor and that's its sole purpose. Some will think the added cost and extra moving parts that can and probably will go wrong isn't worth the hassle and some will. I fall into the camp that loves it and wouldn't be without it and you're in the camp that thinks it's a worthless silly item - and that's fine, don't get upset about it buddy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Woah, easy tiger!! The pops and bangs with the PSE are real, the sound isn't being generated through speakers, the car is actually making them so they're not fake they're just....... unnecessary! I certainly agree they're not a by-product of a highly tuned performance engine but rather just deliberately generated to enhance the driving experience, hence real but unnecessary. But then driving a 3.4 litre sports car on a twisty B-road at 6000rpm just for the fun of it is pretty unnecessary but we all seem to enjoy it! And there you have it - it's FUN and the PSE adds to that fun factor and that's its sole purpose. Some will think the added cost and extra moving parts that can and probably will go wrong isn't worth the hassle and some will. I fall into the camp that loves it and wouldn't be without it and you're in the camp that thinks it's a worthless silly item - and that's fine, don't get upset about it buddy.

Spot on and I have to say that I’ve owned 5 Porsche’s with PSE and they’ve all performed faultlessly. I would not buy one without as it adds to the experience especially with Sports Plus 🤪 brings out the hooligan teenager in me 

• Like 2

So in summary, those who have it love it and would not be without it, those without it don’t think its worth it as they can;t see what it adds to a sports car and can fail.........glad thats sorted 👍.............ps get PSE next time, honestly you will love it when you’ve had it  😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My two pennies..  

Brought the car last year without and it wasn't a deal breaker or on my Must Have List. However, having been behind a couple of fellow forum members on runs I thought it sounded great. 

I put the Carnewal on in August last year but whilst an improvement on the stock, it wasn't anywhere near the PSE. So I umm'd and aaa'd for a while but the first thing i did when it came out for the Spring was get Cotswold to replace the Carnewal with the PSE. Best £2k ive spent on the car....i chuckle all the time at how it sounds. I'll never buy another Porsche without one again

Childish..quite possibly...but as @Buzzfoxquite rightly said...its all arguably unnecessary and self indulgent to have a sports car and driving faster than you should just for the pleasure of it....

Grow Up !

Edited by villaman
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, villaman said:

Childish..quite possibly...but as @Buzzfoxquite rightly said...its all arguably unnecessarily and self indulgent to have a sports car and driving faster than you should just for the pleasure of it....

Grow Up !

Yes, quite right, grow up! Don't do things like drive miles out of your way to find a tunnel hoping that traffic conditions will allow you to drop two or three gears, off throttle, then nail it back up the 'box, turn around to drive back through and do it again. I've never done that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Yes, quite right, grow up! Don't do things like drive miles out of your way to find a tunnel hoping that traffic conditions will allow you to drop two or three gears, off throttle, then nail it back up the 'box, turn around to drive back through and do it again. I've never done that!

Got to love a good long tunnel to play with! (steady!)

1 hour ago, Buzzfox said:

Definitely do NOT do this. It’s immature, especially at Hindhead. 

Slowing dow to 25mph just to boot it and repeat is a childish habit. 

I definitely did NOT do this last weekend about 2 or 3 times. It was the Mrs, honest  

Firmly in the PSE camp. A must have. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A must have option, it’s a different car with it

porsche will replace entire exhaust under warranty.did mine at 70k as one side was siezed.no questions and I actually didn’t even know as that way since I bought it....

On 4/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, Jonttt said:

So in summary, those who have it love it and would not be without it, those without it don’t think its worth it as they can;t see what it adds to a sports car and can fail.........glad thats sorted 👍.............ps get PSE next time, honestly you will love it when you’ve had it  😆

Stop spending my money!!

Do you think the wife is going to notice the extra noise😁