X73 Sport suspension - Should I ??

villaman

Ive recently installed the X73 front and rear anti roll bars and think this has greatly improved  the overall handling  ( Thanks @daz05). Admittedly, some fit just the rear to improve understeer, but i think its improved the handling , ...certainly from today spirited driver... (well to clarify...as spirited as SWMBO would allow).

However...ive got a current quote to go the whole hog and fit the full kit .   I'm now playing with my man maths calculator..which in truth has never to this day been able to do the sums with a result other that an emphatic "YES. it adds up" !!....)

I would though like the opinion of my fellow 981 owners to help me justify the $2500..( @Patt  ???)  ..i know it will be a little more bumpy but will i get a return on this investment to justify it ????.....or should i look at other upgrades for the amount of money  ?

Your help is appreciated,

Edited by villaman
  • Like 1

Spoke to my OPC this week about getting it fitted to my 981 Boxster 2.7. Mines a toy and not a daily to I’m going to go with it. Luckily I have the beautiful Welsh roads to play on and once you get out of the city there not too bad Re condition so I think it’ll be perfect.  Cost £2630. What the heck I can’t take it with me 😂👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kev73 said:

I'm thinking of just the springs on mine circa £450 as I already have pasm so I will use those shocks, been thinking about this for months now 

You can't use the X73 springs, too short for your shocks. H&R do some lowering springs for your car to use with pasm.

X73 sports suspension kit is for standard, non pasm suspension.

15 minutes ago, villaman said:

Cheers guys...im struggling to make an informed decision to be honest.

An informed decision would be a fully analogue 986 with proper coilovers tuned for your specific requirements.

And maybe a bigger motor. 

But failing that 🤣

The other option, IMHO, is to look at Öhlins Road & Track coilovers for your car. Probably similar money at the end of it all and way, way more sophisticated damping. 

A friend is running Öhlins R&T on his 997 and raves about their compliance, control and general loveliness.

Have a look at them and maybe give Chris and CG a call for some solid real world advice. 

BTW my mate’s 997 isn’t as quick cross country as my 986. Just sayin’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mneil said:

You can't use the X73 springs, too short for your shocks. H&R do some lowering springs for your car to use with pasm.

X73 sports suspension kit is for standard, non pasm suspension.

How come lots in the USA have used them on pasm with great success, my car is lower than standard anyway with pasm

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, map said:

An informed decision would be a fully analogue 986 with proper coilovers tuned for your specific requirements.

And maybe a bigger motor. 

But failing that 🤣

The other option, IMHO, is to look at Öhlins Road & Track coilovers for your car. Probably similar money at the end of it all and way, way more sophisticated damping. 

A friend is running Öhlins R&T on his 997 and raves about their compliance, control and general loveliness.

Have a look at them and maybe give Chris and CG a call for some solid real world advice. 

Thanks Matthew...good advise ..and i have read a lot of positive comments about the  Öhlins kit...it is certainty an option as I don't need to worry about warranty now.

However, i do have to take exception with the below comment,...

A GT3 might struggle to keep up with your wolf in sheep's clothing old chum..lets be honest !!!

2 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Spoke to my OPC this week about getting it fitted to my 981 Boxster 2.7. Mines a toy and not a daily to I’m going to go with it. Luckily I have the beautiful Welsh roads to play on and once you get out of the city there not too bad Re condition so I think it’ll be perfect.  Cost £2630. What the heck I can’t take it with me 😂👍

So..have you booked this in or will you do this ?

37 minutes ago, Kev73 said:

How come lots in the USA have used them on pasm with great success, my car is lower than standard anyway with pasm

Correct I know of a couple of people who have done this who are very happy, they will reduce your ride height by about 10mm so probably less than h&R etc.

Ps - I really want you to do this and tell me it's great so that I can copy you 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kev73 said:

Gareth at revolution refused to fit just the springs for safety reasons. At full extension of the suspension, maximum spring length was too short and became unseated. My car had standard, non pasm suspension though, so another 10mm higher than yours😳.

The full X73 is a wonderful thing😃.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mneil said:

Gareth at revolution refused to fit just the springs for safety reasons. At full extension of the suspension, maximum spring length was too short and became unseated. My car had standard, non pasm suspension though, so another 10mm higher than yours😳.

The full X73 is a wonderful thing😃.

Ouch! Quite scary but yes PASM cars are lower.

I hardly notice the slightly stiffer ride on my 20 summer tires, but it was noticeably more bouncy on my 19" winters.

The X73 has given me the arch gap and handling I wanted.  It's comfortable, not crashy and sticks well to the roads when pushing on. It feels slightly more improved than my old M030 style upgrade on the 986. I will always recommend it to those that like a spirited drive.

Have you tried your local indi for pricing?

Also budget for any drop links that may need to be cut off - only about £14ea but worth keeping in mind.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

5th May I’m in. Fingers crossed that there’s no hold up on the parts from Germany 🇩🇪 👍

Will look forward to your thoughts 👍🏽

Im probably going to push the button on either Sports headers..or...the X73 Kit in the next few weeks.

Still undecided which one I need to prioritise first as in truth , I'll probably end up doing both eventually.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villaman said:

Will look forward to your thoughts 👍🏽

Im probably going to push the button on either Sports headers..or...the X73 Kit in the next few weeks.

Still undecided which one I need to prioritise first as in truth , I'll probably end up doing both eventually.

Well on the 9th May I’ll be doing a 140 mile run win the PCGB Region so will have some good feedback to share following that hopefully 👍

I had the PSE retro fitted back in Nov so after the x73 the car is where I want it to be. I’ll just drive it and enjoy then 😂👍

24 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Well on the 9th May I’ll be doing a 140 mile run win the PCGB Region so will have some good feedback to share following that hopefully 👍

I had the PSE retro fitted back in Nov so after the x73 the car is where I want it to be. I’ll just drive it and enjoy then 😂👍

Similar route to me...just had the PSE fitted last month and the X73 Anti roll bars.....but think i'l fir the shocks and springs too.

What region are you ?...mine haven't arranged any runs yet :( 

3 hours ago, villaman said:

Similar route to me...just had the PSE fitted last month and the X73 Anti roll bars.....but think i'l fir the shocks and springs too.

What region are you ?...mine haven't arranged any runs yet :( 

R14 S Wales. Run hopefully on 9th May. But as you would expect it’s over subscribed so they have also put on the same run for the Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK so the day has come. Car dropped off hopefully I won’t regret the decision to go with the X73 Sports Suspension Package 👍 BMW MSport 340i for a day as a loan car. Lovely car but just doesn’t float my boat as a weekend make you feel good car. If you know what I mean 😂😎👍