981 Boxster GTS

JurassicBGTS

22 hours ago, daz05 said:

My take is the 981 GTS cars seem to be more susceptible to this than the earlier 981s there definitely appears to be a bad batch circulating around the 2014/15 build dates. Plenty of early 981s have sports chrono fitted but there doesn't seem to be the same failure rate and certainly not so early in their life. When I've seen failures on earlier cars they have been at higher mileage.

Not sure on the 718 cars.

I suspect the only reason for GTSs seeming more susceptible is that: all GTSs have sport chrono; GTSs started around the time that there appears to be some dodgy batches.  So I suspect a similar year standard car with Chrono would have just the same chance of failure.  

Note: I have a ‘15S  and have had both drivechain mounts replaced under warranty. I’ve had no issues with the replacements.

2 hours ago, Greenman said:

I suspect the only reason for GTSs seeming more susceptible is that: all GTSs have sport chrono; GTSs started around the time that there appears to be some dodgy batches.  So I suspect a similar year standard car with Chrono would have just the same chance of failure.  

Note: I have a ‘15S  and have had both drivechain mounts replaced under warranty. I’ve had no issues with the replacements.

I can't say for sure because I don't have the stats but I guess there is a significant number of non GTS 981 cars with it fitted and there are more of them overall because they were on sale for longer. The difference seems to be when they failed, the GTS failures all seemed to earlier in the cycle.

I know of a handful of earlier 981s with it fitted with mileage ranging between 30 and 60k, all as far as we can tell are still on the original parts.

You could now argue the GTS could be less susceptible since many have been changed out. One thing for sure it seems that they will all fail at some point, the wiring harness and connection being exposed to the elements makes me wonder if moisture is causing the lack of communication.

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

One thing for sure it seems that they will all fail at some point

Humm...not sure that’s true.   Although it does seem there is a higher failure rate than you would like there are plenty of higher mileage 981s and 991s that haven’t needed a change.

Maybe the weather access is a failure reason I don’t know, what was suggested to me by the OPC technician was that the design had been tweaked to solve the issue, so certainly extra weather protection is something that could easily have been added, but how much truth there is in this I can’t be certain.   I am hoping that there has been a tweak as that bodes better for my situation having had both replaced.

8 hours ago, Greenman said:

Humm...not sure that’s true.   Although it does seem there is a higher failure rate than you would like there are plenty of higher mileage 981s and 991s that haven’t needed a change.

Maybe the weather access is a failure reason I don’t know, what was suggested to me by the OPC technician was that the design had been tweaked to solve the issue, so certainly extra weather protection is something that could easily have been added, but how much truth there is in this I can’t be certain.   I am hoping that there has been a tweak as that bodes better for my situation having had both replaced.

Hope you are right because you know I run mine without warranty!  Would hopefully qualify for some good will say least.

6 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Can we check if these have been changed with Porsche?

I have a service next week at Dovehouse, so will ask them to have a look too.

If you fancy poking your head under the car right at the back, it's actually easier than it sounds, you may find a date stamp on the units.

Had both my mounts replaced between 30-40K.  Seems a common issue, just like the brake pedal.

That white one was very poorly cleaned pre sale pictures - wheel barrels not touched and dirty rag over interior.  Not what you should expect for a premium car.

Do some homework on what is standard, and what options are must have Vs nice to have/could be retro fitted.

Drive both manual and PDK - both are great but not to everyone's taste.

Good luck with your search.

8 hours ago, Patt said:

Had both my mounts replaced between 30-40K.  Seems a common issue, just like the brake pedal.

That white one was very poorly cleaned pre sale pictures - wheel barrels not touched and dirty rag over interior.  Not what you should expect for a premium car.

Do some homework on what is standard, and what options are must have Vs nice to have/could be retro fitted.

Drive both manual and PDK - both are great but not to everyone's taste.

Good luck with your search.

Patt, your OCD....like me👍

Emerson park and Romford pretty much next door to each other, i actually have a office in Romford and not a fan of imperial I looked at a RS4 a few years ago and I wasnt impressed if i was honest with you on how they displayed the cars and well the S3 that was on axle stands having both the brakes painted and the leather being repaired in the middle of the forecourt.   I dont like to sl*g anyone off but I can only say what i saw back then and it was a couple of years back.   If you do go for it, i would definately get a proper full inspection done beforehand.  sorry

Edited by robporsche

10 hours ago, Patt said:

Interesting discussion on the failure rate. Touching wood mine is a 2013 car on 55k and pretty sure they’re original

1 hour ago, lofi said:

Interesting discussion on the failure rate. Touching wood mine is a 2013 car on 55k and pretty sure they’re original

2013 car here too but on 46k and all good so far (famous last words!)

19 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

The car is on the drive so I can just lift it up on a puck if I can't see & yes I'll put something under too..

Safety 1st...Safety 2nd..

While you are taking a look let me know if you share my view that the connector is potentially quite exposed to the elements? Probably doesn't apply to the new vehicle, low mileage replacements but after 50k it could be a weak spot.

Do the mounts operate the same on the GTS as on the S with SC? My understanding is the S activates the stuff mounts in sport plus. Is that the same in the GTS or do they activate is say sport suggesting more usage?

1 hour ago, lofi said:

Do the mounts operate the same on the GTS as on the S with SC? My understanding is the S activates the stuff mounts in sport plus. Is that the same in the GTS or do they activate is say sport suggesting more usage?

They are apparently active in Sport and Sport Plus across all models with them fitted.  I can't verify that but so I read.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:03 PM, robporsche said:

Emerson park and Romford pretty much next door to each other, i actually have a office in Romford and not a fan of imperial I looked at a RS4 a few years ago and I wasnt impressed if i was honest with you on how they displayed the cars and well the S3 that was on axle stands having both the brakes painted and the leather being repaired in the middle of the forecourt.   I dont like to sl*g anyone off but I can only say what i saw back then and it was a couple of years back.   If you do go for it, i would definately get a proper full inspection done beforehand.  sorry

Thanks Rob for your insight into the garage. Not good. Agree with Patt, the car hasn't been well prepared for the sale photos, although a lot of garages do not prepare fully until the car has been sold...including Porsche sometimes!