981 Boxster GTS

JurassicBGTS

19 hours ago, Simo_UK said:

Definitely worth ringing around too.  Portsmouth and Bournemouth quoted different prices for me.  Had it done at Portsmouth for around £1800, inc Chrome tailpipes.  That was a few years back though.  £2600-2900 sounds obscene 

Prices have increased 10% in the last couple of months , extra charges as we are not in th EU apparently 

5 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Prices have increased 10% in the last couple of months , extra charges as we are not in th EU apparently 

£2592 according to tequipment.

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ba=Boxster&ma=PCGB (RL)&sp=1&bt=981&mo=Boxster&ka=Performance&co=30&ac=product&pr=660ACA72C3728B9FC12579810049EBBB

Which is about £100 more than 3 years ago when I looked at the price for when I was looking to buy mine. Which is about a 4% increase. Although I got mine for £1600 as I negotiated it into my purchase as a deal breaker. 

Inflation rather than brexit i think

• 2 months later...

Managed to test drive my first GTS today and have to say, I was really impressed. 

However, given the prices are now in the mid 50s for a 2014 low mileage car from an OPC and there are only 3 cars for sale in the UK, I think I need to start looking at a high spec S. How I regret not going for the Carrera white 2015 full spec GTS with 25,000 miles for 45k at Imperial 2 months ago😡

Question is how much different would a high spec S with PSE and Chrono and PASM feel to the GTS.

The GTS sound was awesome, is this the same with an S with PSE?

Handling and suspension were sublime, presumably  the S with PASM would be the same.

Harbour cars have a nice spec 2016 S for sale at a reasonable price which looks like a good compromise.

30 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

I had the roof down all the time, so the sound, a deep throated crackle sounded from the exhaust rather than through any in cab sound effects.

That sound your describing sounds like the PSE. It does sound lovely on all the 981 models with the roof down and sport engaged 👍

I can confirm that the PSE with Sports mode engaged sounds epic with all the crackles and pops.
I ve never driven a GTS but I’ve followed one for over a hour on one of our Boxster runs and they do sound fantastic but I do think mine sounds very similar if not the same. My exhaust was fitted by Cotswold Porsche and they programmed using their laptop and custom software.

So if it is the sound of a GTS you really like you need a S with PSE, Sports chrono and I also fitted some k&n airfilters.

I love the GTS and it is a very special car but that said so is the 981s and with the right spec I think you could get really close to that GTS vibe 👍

2 hours ago, JurassicGTS said:

Managed to test drive my first GTS today and have to say, I was really impressed. 

However, given the prices are now in the mid 50s for a 2014 low mileage car from an OPC and there are only 3 cars for sale in the UK, I think I need to start looking at a high spec S. How I regret not going for the Carrera white 2015 full spec GTS with 25,000 miles for 45k at Imperial 2 months ago😡

Question is how much different would a high spec S with PSE and Chrono and PASM feel to the GTS.

The GTS sound was awesome, is this the same with an S with PSE?

Handling and suspension were sublime, presumably  the S with PASM would be the same.

Harbour cars have a nice spec 2016 S for sale at a reasonable price which looks like a good compromise.

Here are the differences between the S and the GTS:

The engine is the same 3.4l engine but it's claimed to have 15bhp extra albeit right at the top end, it features a sound symposer which pumps induction roar into the cabin which is quite nice at high rpm. An S with sport chrono won't be any slower in reality, ask the Cayman GTS owner who tried it on! The exhaust is the same as a car fitted with PSE. Finding a PSE system that isn't seized is essential when comparing!

Suspension wise, x73 cars handle best and this was an option you may find fitted to either since it was an optional extra. Cars with PASM will feel and handle exactly the same.

Aesthetically the GTS styling changes do look quite attractive and inside you'll get contrasting stitching and alcantara if that's your thing. An S car with full leather is also a nice place to sit. 35w xenons are also standard on the GTS, also available on the S as an option.

Both cars hold their value really well but the GTS has the market fooled into thinking it's a little more special and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

In summary, pay the extra if you think the aesthetics are worth it, but buy a well specified S if you want the same sound and feel with some change in your pocket. A well specified S really is the diamond in the rough in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ringmaster999 said:

I think the GTS has a different air box and a sound symposser to feed the exhaust/engine noise into the cab. So the S might not sound as good but I know you can mod the S with the necessary parts of you wanted. Daz from Test Drive Scotland has done it I believe 👍

There are two air boxes, one either side that feed the beast, the box on the right side has an additional connection point to connect the symposer tube, this is then fed to a hole behind the driver. Otherwise they are identical

The symposer has its own option code and all cars have the hole behind the driver so must have been a consideration before the GTS was developed.

Edited by daz05
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, daz05 said:

Here are the differences between the S and the GTS:

The engine is the same 3.4l engine but it's claimed to have 15bhp extra albeit right at the top end, it features a sound symposer which pumps induction roar into the cabin which is quite nice at high rpm. An S with sport chrono won't be any slower in reality, ask the Cayman GTS owner who tried it on! The exhaust is the same as a car fitted with PSE. Finding a PSE system that isn't seized is essential when comparing!

Suspension wise, x73 cars handle best and this was an option you may find fitted to either since it was an optional extra. Cars with PASM will feel and handle exactly the same.

Aesthetically the GTS styling changes do look quite attractive and inside you'll get contrasting stitching and alcantara if that's your thing. An S car with full leather is also a nice place to sit. 35w xenons are also standard on the GTS, also available on the S as an option.

Both cars hold their value really well but the GTS has the market fooled into thinking it's a little more special and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

In summary, pay the extra if you think the aesthetics are worth it, but buy a well specified S if you want the same sound and feel with some change in your pocket. A well specified S really is the diamond in the rough in my opinion.

I'd say you're spot on Daz.  I have a 981 BGTS and for me the GTS interior and slight design enhancements make it.  Exhaust sounds terrific, but then so does any boxer 6 with PSE so for sure a nice S is a cracking car.  GTS sits on 20" rims too.

Long may the GTS premium remain!!

Should add that I've not actually driven or been in a 981 S so can't comment on the extra power.

• Like 1