Heated seat stopped working, any ideas ?

Spinjim

So drivers heated seat stopped working this afternoon, I had used it this morning with it being a bit chilly. 

After getting home it worked for a few seconds then switched itself off

No fuses on the circuit 

Any ideas 

Jim

3 minutes ago, Spinjim said:

So drivers heated seat stopped working this afternoon, I had used it this morning with it being a bit chilly. 

No fuses on the circuit 

Any ideas 

Jim

When the issue occurred did both seat buttons fail to illuminate ? 

I had an intermittent heated seat issue on a 987.1, both seats used to turn off at random.

In my case it turned out the climate control temp sensor fan was on the blink, seats on that car are only allowed to operate in a given cabin temp range. The faulty fan was causing the temp sensor to read -50C to +42C over a 5 min period !

Could of course not apply to your case or a 981 but had me bemused until I was able to get the pull the fault code, 8035 Interior Sensor Fan Inplausible 

Edited by iborguk

47 minutes ago, Spinjim said:

No fuses on the circuit 

Any ideas 

Jim

do you mean the fuses are ok?

or there aren't any on the heated seat circuit?

they must be fused surely?

Does anything else not work too?

I'm sure you've consulted the manual but whilst it doesn't say there is one, I wonder if its on the seat ventilation, seat adjustment or similar circuits?

IIRC the manual reverses left foot-well to right some of the fuse positions

I have a link to pdf manual if you need it...

So your light going on and going off narrows it down, it's not the AC unit or the fuse as it wouldn't light up at all if it was. 

My bet is that one of your bolster pads on that seat has broken the circuit. You'll need to get a multimeter on the connections and test each one. Each bolster and the centre sections have there own pad.  It's a seat out and cover off job which isn't that difficult on these, I hope that it's the back rest as that's much easier to do.

The heated seats have one fuse to cover both chairs in the drivers side footwell.

Edited by daz05

15 minutes ago, daz05 said:

So your light going on and going off is narrows it down, it's not the AC unit or the fuse as it wouldn't light up at all if it was. 

My bet is that one of your bolster pads on that seat has broken the circuit. You'll need to get a multimeter on the connections and test each one. It's a seat out and cover off job which isn't that difficult on these. We

The heated seats have one fuse to cover both chairs in the drivers side footwell.

Also knowing if the issue is repeatable and knocks out only one or both seat buttons would be interesting to know.

If it's both button's I'd suggest get a code reader on it and see if anything has been logged.

If it's one button then yeah agree looks more like test that seat's circuit.

Edited by iborguk

I had a look at the manual for checking to see if it was a fuse and checked all. 

Im not surprised to be honest the side bolster has always been a bit uncomfortable, (it only did 7000 miles last year) will be looking to replace rather than repair 

Jim

2 minutes ago, Spinjim said:

I had a look at the manual for checking to see if it was a fuse and checked all. 

Im not surprised to be honest the side bolster has always been a bit uncomfortable, (it only did 7000 miles last year) will be looking to replace rather than repair 

Jim

Did the passenger side button work when you had the issue ? 

14 minutes ago, Spinjim said:

Jim

Have a look on eBay Jim, might be more cost effective to buy another seat and flog your own as an office chair 👍.

Make sure they replace the seat bolts after the seat comes out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spinjim said:

So tested again this morning and the heated seat is on but the LED isn’t lighting up 

Jim

Jim, nothing at all or lights up and goes out again? Are you positive the seat is heating they do generate heat even with you sitting on them? 

It points towards an issue with the button on the hvac panel, any drinks been spilt around the area recently, cupholders are rather close?

You could remove it and replace it but you will probably have to get the new unit coded to your car using piwis as it's also the module controlling the buttons on the centre console.

Seat is definitely getting warm just no LED on the button 

No drink or anything spilt over the buttons, I’m thinking it’s probably the circuit board on the switch 

Jim