Ideas please

Cocky

15 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Not everybody is won over by a sweet little ring piece😆

Was so glad when they started phasing out the large salty donuts!

29 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Was so glad when they started phasing out the large salty donuts!

Weren’t they easy to get your tongue in? 
Just left a bitter aftertaste🤷🏾‍♂️

22 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The face lift was from the start of the 2003 model year manufacture.  First deliveries would have been around September/October 2002 so UK 52 plate definitely and 03 plate possibly but pretty rare as over 6 months from start of manufacture, can be pre or post facelift cars but the 10th digit in the VIN will tell you for sure even if you don't look at the front and rear styling and roof (new profile and glass window) changes.

And yet our June 2004 was a facelift and my mate from PCGB had a 2002 facelift. As the 987 was coming out the 986 was largely ignored for 2004.

So by all means look at the VIN even though that is NOT always guaranteed, just look at IMSB changeover regarding bearing size, but the VIN will be a '3' not an '03'. Hence the 10th digit and not digits. 

I was originally poking fun at your fast and loose (and somewhat confusing) use of '03' but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what I'm making fun of now :laugh:

39 minutes ago, EXY said:

And yet our June 2004 was a facelift and my mate from PCGB had a 2002 facelift. As the 987 was coming out the 986 was largely ignored for 2004.

So by all means look at the VIN even though that is NOT always guaranteed, just look at IMSB changeover regarding bearing size, but the VIN will be a '3' not an '03'. Hence the 10th digit and not digits. 

I was originally poking fun at your fast and loose (and somewhat confusing) use of '03' but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what I'm making fun of now :laugh:

We're getting into detail here that isn't the main core of this topic, however I wasn't doing if for fun, I was sorucing my information from published factory data (all detailed in the so called V-Pages at the start of the Porsche parts catalogue) to be informative and to demystify things a little so I was being quite serious.  Anyhow, here goes:-

It is perfectly possible to have a 2002 built face lift as they started making the 2003 MODEL YEAR facelifted cars in the latter part of 2002 (i.e. UK 52 plate which ran 1 September 2002 to 28 February 2003), but the chassis number will still have a 3 at that digit position as it refers to MODEL YEAR not BUILD YEAR.....

IMSB change over is quite simple too if you look a the factory ENGINE numbers as opposed to CHASSIS number.  There is a specific number given by Porsche that the changed happened at which can be picked up in the engine numbers the IMSB housing and shaft changed and they are the only parts changes for which engine numbers are quoted in both the 2.7 and 3.2 engine number ranges (same detail can be picked up in the 996 engines as well) and it falls part way through the 2001 MODEL YEAR in M65.1 and M67.1 engines, the .1 denoting a 2001 Model Year engine .  However, cars with those fitted could have been sold over a period spreading 3, 6, 9 or even 12 months hence not going by chassis numbers or registration date as that is the data that in not specific.

Remember I have been called a pedant more than once   😉

I've gone away to take a chill pill now.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

We're getting into detail here that isn't the main core of this topic, however I wasn't doing if for fun, I was sorucing my information from published factory data (all detailed in the so called V-Pages at the start of the Porsche parts catalogue) to be informative and to demystify things a little so I was being quite serious.  Anyhow, here goes:-

It is perfectly possible to have a 2002 built face lift as they started making the 2003 MODEL YEAR facelifted cars in the latter part of 2002 (i.e. UK 52 plate which ran 1 September 2002 to 28 February 2003), but the chassis number will still have a 3 at that digit position as it refers to MODEL YEAR not BUILD YEAR.....

IMSB change over is quite simple too if you look a the factory ENGINE numbers as opposed to CHASSIS number.  There is a specific number given by Porsche that the changed happened at which can be picked up in the engine numbers the IMSB housing and shaft changed and they are the only parts changes for which engine numbers are quoted in both the 2.7 and 3.2 engine number ranges (same detail can be picked up in the 996 engines as well) and it falls part way through the 2001 MODEL YEAR in M65.1 and M67.1 engines, the .1 denoting a 2001 Model Year engine .  However, cars with those fitted could have been sold over a period spreading 3, 6, 9 or even 12 months hence not going by chassis numbers or registration date as that is the data that in not specific.

Remember I have been called a pedant more than once   😉

I've gone away to take a chill pill now.

Except you said 03 not 3 hence I was being a pedant but you keep missing that ;)

I think you got mixed up with a facelift usually being the year (20)03 with the 10th digit being 3, can you see now?

Also there is a period in 987 manufacture where the engine numbers are NO GUARANTEE you will be able ascertain which bearing is fitted until you split it to see. I can't be bothered to look out the posts from one of our respected indies (mostly because I don't care). I am not referring to engine changes but factory supplied cars.

I owned a 2004 986 for 11 years and read almost everything ever written on them not to mention some excellent posts from friendly indies and the likes of @Tool Pants and @Berty987.

Anyway like I said I was poking fun at your inability to separate 3 and 03 but somehow you have spoiled my hilarity :(

15 minutes ago, EXY said:

Except you said 03 not 3 hence I was being a pedant but you keep missing that ;)

I think you got mixed up with a facelift usually being the year (20)03 with the 10th digit being 3, can you see now?

Also there is a period in 987 manufacture where the engine numbers are NO GUARANTEE you will be able ascertain which bearing is fitted until you split it to see. I can't be bothered to look out the posts from one of our respected indies (mostly because I don't care). I am not referring to engine changes but factory supplied cars.

I owned a 2004 986 for 11 years and read almost everything ever written on them not to mention some excellent posts from friendly indies and the likes of @Tool Pants and @Berty987.

Anyway like I said I was poking fun at your inability to separate 3 and 03 but somehow you have spoiled my hilarity :(

I was referring to 3 as the 10th digit of the VIN and 03 as shorthand for 2003 so perhaps for a little more clarity '03.  If you read carefully then you will see I was consistent with that.  My main point is that a MODEL YEAR spans two calendar years from late in the third quarter of the year before to just before the end of the quarter on the year in question.

987 engine numbers are not clear on the IMSB bearing change and not owning one of those I have not fully researched that so don't comment, however the 986 is clear in Porsche's own information and that is what I referred to.

Serious in the model specific section, hilarity in the Lounge maybe.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I was referring to 3 as the 10th digit of the VIN and 03 as shorthand for 2003 so perhaps for a little more clarity '03.  If you read carefully then you will see I was consistent with that.  My main point is that a MODEL YEAR spans two calendar years from late in the third quarter of the year before to just before the end of the quarter on the year in question.

987 engine numbers are not clear on the IMSB bearing change and not owning one of those I have not fully researched that so don't comment, however the 986 is clear in Porsche's own information and that is what I referred to.

Serious in the model specific section, hilarity in the Lounge maybe.

Yeah go for clarity in the model specific section, except it wasn't clear.

I quoted the unclear portions earlier can't be bothered again.

But that's just me being a pedant ;)

• 2 weeks later...