Brake pipe rust

StephenM

Evening all,

I have put my car up on axle stands while the wheels are away being refurbished.   So today I sarted having a good look at the brakes etc.  I was concerned to find that the brake pipes coming out of the calipers and going to the flexible brake pipe on all four corners look pretty rusty (see picture below) so thought I would ask if anyone else has had this problem? I assume I will just buy new ones from Porsche or 911 or somewhere and fit them (I'm not sure of the process though, hence why I am asking).  Any advice will be gratefully recieved.

2782-B79-F-85-F6-4689-BA14-6-B4-ABA015-D

Edited by StephenM

I’d advise you to take of the covers on the underside of your car and check the pipes that run from front to rear down the passenger side. They don’t get inspected during an MOT and may be in worse condition.

• Like 2

Seen a lot worse looking on older 986 cars (mine for one) that still pass an MOT.  Pipe are pretty expensive from Porsche.  You can get a kit of parts, cunifer pipe (doesn't rust like the factory steel does so has a longer life) and tools for under £80 online to cut, flare and bend up the pipes, if DIY is your thing.  It is the next significant project I have planned for mine along with painting the calipers.

Had mine replaced after they failed my MOT. The garage did a great job making new pipes from scratch using  what I think is called Kunifer (copper/nickel alloy). Speaking to the man who did the job aesthetics is one challenge and routing them another. Connectors to the hoses were badly seized so he replaced the hoses too with Brembo's. Job (including MOT retest) took 2 days. Cost was 670.- and am really happy it's done as it had already flagged up in the last MOT and service - was advised to just clean them up with steel wool back then, but frankly after seeing my rusty pipes after they had been replaced I am glad this has been addressed properly now.

This seems to be a common problem with earlier Porsches (mine is a 2005 2.7 with 98k miles and otherwise well looked after) I have seen on many MOT reports when I was looking for my new toy a year ago. 

10 minutes ago, PFX said:

This seems to be a common problem with earlier Porsches (mine is a 2005 2.7 with 98k miles and otherwise well looked after) I have seen on many MOT reports when I was looking for my new toy a year ago. 

Really to be expected on any 15-25 year old car with steel brake lines, particularly if has been well used in all seasons on UK roads.

Not really, in the past 35 years I had quite a few cars, none of which have had any problems with rusty brake pipes, ever. And, half of my cars have been daily drives through continental winters with salty roads the likes we don't get here in England, certainly not in the SE.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Boxster for many reasons, but I think Porsche used steel of low/unsuitable quality for some of their cars' brake pipes 15 years ago. 

Personally I am glad I did not buy those shiny LED tail lights I was craving, so I had the money to get my brake pipes sorted instead.....

.....not to say those LED tail lights are off my agenda though, just postponed lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, StephenM said:

I rang Porsche and to get just the replacement steel pipes for each corner is approx £103 does that sound reasonable?

I can almost guarantee that you could get some kunifer ones made up for a load less than that. 

An aside, but the reason that cars have steel brake pipes from factory is that the US will only type-approve cars with steel brake pipes, believing that other materials are inferior and dangerous. All manufacturers therefore make their cars with steel brake pipes no matter where they are to be sold in order to keep costs down. Volvo are the only manufacturer to do otherwise; they only fit steel brake pipes to cars they sell in the US, everything else gets brake pipes made of something else (I assume something like Kunifer.) 

On 5/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, StephenM said:

I rang Porsche and to get just the replacement steel pipes for each corner is approx £103 does that sound reasonable?

If they are shaped to fit that doesn't sound too bad for an easy upgrade, IMHO.