Insurance Increase after claiming with Protected NCB?

Hi Folks, 

I'm looking to get some self inflicted damage on my car repaired and have had quotes ranging from £400-800. Damage is across 2 panels- metallic colour)

Obviously I'd want the best quality job possible, so considering claiming on my insurance to get a reputable body shop to do the work. Excess payable would be £500-possiblity less with go compare excess refund)

I've got 15 years protected NCB, but the concern is that despite this i'll need to declare the claim and subsequent policies will increase. (I've read online that this is inevitable as the discount will just be applied to an increased premium.)

I haven't contacted my insurance company yet, as I've also read that reporting the damage will automatically increase my premium as technically I've had an accident- whether i claim or not.

Anyone else been in this situation and have any advice? i.e. settle privately vs take the risk and claim or do both options balance out in the long term 🤨

Many thanks

Premium will go up.  Years ago my mum made the mistake of telling the insurance company a call to tell them that a roof tile had fallen on the car and she may make a claim.  Asked he why she phoned them as it would cost less to fix then the excess in the policy.  She paid for a local company to repair and did go any further with the insurance.  When her renewal came, it had a non claim accident on the renewal and policy increased. Not by a lot but they still took it into account, 

• Like 1

Why would you consider claiming with a £500 excess?

I have a non fault claim on my bike policy, another rider ran into the back of me, caught on video and he admitted liability, it has still raised my cars and bike premiums slightly. 

Edited by Scubaregs
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

My feeling is that to get a high quality repair I'm going to be looking at closer to £1000, therefore paying the excess is cheaper in the short term.

Based on feedback here it seems that future premiums will be higher which on a performance car isn't fun.

Planning to get 2 more quotes today, and then make a decision.

Any claim will be recorded on the MIB database so needs to be declared for ALL insurances. If the Boxster is a second car consider what a claim would do to any other insured vehicles costs and weigh it up as a total.

Protected no claims just reduces the overall costs but you still have a claim so it will raise the premium.

• Like 1

You have identified the dishonesty of all insurance companies, their slick adverts create the impression you loose nothing if for example you are hit by an uninsured driver - or they labour the point in the event of a claim your NCD is protected - but the sneaky slimy gits raise your premium and then apply your NCD at the old rate you had to the new premium, and it doesn't stop there - they declare the fact that once you've had a claim (even non fault claims) statistics say your more likely to have another claim - so your risk increases - and that's what premiums are based on, and the increased risks - and premiums apply for 3 years.

My Wife's car was scraped in a car park - she wasn't even in the car - she was shopping and discovered the damage when she returned - and fortunately the car that caused the damage was still next to her car - so photos etc and waited for the owner to return. It was a tiny scrape and the lady accepted she had done it but when she went home and told her husband he decided the insurance company should deal with it - so her insurance paid for a whole new bumper and painting rather than perhaps £100 to have it repaired. The insurance company increased my wife's premiums for 3 years.

However - the insurance company wont tell you how much additional loading they have applied as they disguise it all with smoke and mirrors - they say premiums do rise each year etc and cant say what the effect was - which is a lie as they increased the premium because of a non fault claim (For which they paid absolutely nothing out for)

This prevents you from adding to your claim against the other driver the costs of the additional premiums over the three years - which are "damages" in legal terms.

Insurance companies are allowed to completely ignore the Equality Act as they discriminate on postcode, age, s3x, marital status, etc to establish a premium, something the equality act absolutely forbids.

If I were you I wouldn't be talking to my insurance company at all

On 4/16/2021 at 10:12 AM, Scubaregs said:

I have a non fault claim on my bike policy, another rider ran into the back of me, caught on video and he admitted liability, it has still raised my cars and bike premiums slightly. 

That incident sounds pretty scary. 

I paid out £2,200 rather than claim on my insurance when my wife bent the car against a wall. I knew it would affect insurance premiums on our other cars despite NCD. In retrospect, I probably should have claimed but my instinct is to stay away from Insurance companies as much as possible.

On 4/18/2021 at 8:16 AM, McDonald said:

I paid out £2,200 rather than claim on my insurance when my wife bent the car against a wall. I knew it would affect insurance premiums on our other cars despite NCD. In retrospect, I probably should have claimed but my instinct is to stay away from Insurance companies as much as possible.

You don't have to even make a claim. When you take out a policy the insurance company will ask whether you've have any accidents in the last x years (regardless of whether it was reported or claimed). If you respond 'no' when it should be 'yes' then you've probably invalidated the policy you've taken out and have commited a fraud. 

1 hour ago, Boxob said:

You don't have to even make a claim. When you take out a policy the insurance company will ask whether you've have any accidents in the last x years (regardless of whether it was reported or claimed). If you respond 'no' when it should be 'yes' then you've probably invalidated the policy you've taken out and have commited a fraud. 

That's the letter of the law, I know. But not the spirit of the law, I think.

The other side of it. I had a walking speed accident with a bike a couple of years ago. £2700 worth of damage on a 6 week old Honda CBF600 that would have got more scuffs if it had fallen off the side stand. My fault though. I also managed to gain 3 points on my licence for speeding that year. I changed Ins.Co. a month later, full disclosure and the premium went down by about £400 for the 5 vehicles.

Don't ask me, I don't make the rules!