981 Xenon Headlight Upgrade

daz05

Great video, lighting definitely improved from standard.

My question, I already have Bi-Xenon PDSL on my Cayman base, the manual suggests the Xenon's are 55W? your video mentions 35W? presumably PDSL is 55W? anyway of telling short of pulling the bulb out?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chuckie66 said:

Great video, lighting definitely improved from standard.

My question, I already have Bi-Xenon PDSL on my Cayman base, the manual suggests the Xenon's are 55W? your video mentions 35W? presumably PDSL is 55W? anyway of telling short of pulling the bulb out?

Cheers, the 55w will be the main beam Chuckie. I only changed the dipped. 

Seems like a decent improvement that Daz.  

I've got to admit I’ve have never really had an issue with the standard Xenons in the S, but then I don’t tend to have spirited drives at night.  Will be interesting to see if you have any MOT issues. 

As far as the ballasts are concerned does the ballast have to match the bulbs exactly? I.e. if you changed back to the old bulbs would you need to change the ballast back?

No issues Re MOT's or extended warranty renewal (Not that that should come as a surprise), I expect however that although the 35 W ballast would operate the 25 W HID, not sure how the lifespan of the bulbs will be effected?

Looking at the links in Daz youtube description it looks like:

Ballasts.  £35

Bulbs used by Daz £50

Nightbreakers Bulbs £75

The the Nightbreakers and the ones Daz uses are both 35w. So I can’t see how the difference would be Night and Day. (See what I did there!😉)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

Seems like a decent improvement that Daz.  

I've got to admit I’ve have never really had an issue with the standard Xenons in the S, but then I don’t tend to have spirited drives at night.  Will be interesting to see if you have any MOT issues. 

As far as the ballasts are concerned does the ballast have to match the bulbs exactly? I.e. if you changed back to the old bulbs would you need to change the ballast back?

Cheers, well I've run with the old ones for years, the wow moment is when you make the change. You see more of the road at night and on the longer trips away you always seem to end up too fair away from the accommodation as the sun is going down! 

I've seen it done on here and was always a bit weary of doing the job, it seemed more complicated than it actually is.

No issue regarding the warranty because they won't check your bulbs and even if they did it appears as Porsche intended.  In the MOT they only test washers if they are fitted the brightness won't appear any better or worse than a regular car with xenons anyway.

However I may retrofit the jets next winter as it won't be overly challenging!

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Looks like a excellent job to me! 
I don’t tend to do much driving on dark country lanes but if I did I would consider this!

What sort of price was this job and how much would it have been with the other brand of bulbs?

Thanks 👍 as Greenman added above I paid around £150 and after all that I have the same light spec as my VW Golf daily ! The Osram Nightbreaker bulbs are advertised as having a longer range than the Osram originals I used.

Edited by daz05

54 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Thanks 👍 as Greenman added above I paid around £150 and after all that I have the same light spec as my VW Golf daily ! The Osram Nightbreaker bulbs are advertised as having a longer range than the Osram originals I used.

Very good demonstration of the improvement made. I want to improve the lighting on my 987.1. I do want to remain legal. I'm guessing Nightbreakers are my best route. Any advice welcome.

23 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Very good demonstration of the improvement made. I want to improve the lighting on my 987.1. I do want to remain legal. I'm guessing Nightbreakers are my best route. Any advice welcome.

I've never had the pleasure of a 987 but I'm sure it's been done before, does your car have xenons or halogen?  

31 minutes ago, reynard55 said:

Daz, did you retro fit xenons to your car? I see you have no headlamp wash

No the 981s comes with 25w xenons as standard so under the build regs doesn't require the headlight wash system, all I've done is add a bit more grunt to them! 

• Thanks 1

If someone drops a 2.7 at my door I'll take a look. There must be some kind of bulb upgrade off the shelf for a small gain. Your other option may be the LED route but requires further investigation. 

• Thanks 1