TPMS

TrevTee

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 8:52 AM, Greenman said:

Please update us if you do change your sensors, especially if you use any aftermarket option.

My car is a year older than yours (2015) I had my 6 year service back in Feb and no indication by the OPC of likely imminent TPMS issues.  As you say, there are plenty of 2012/2013 cars around and I’ve not seem much talk of these needing changing yet. So in your case if they do need changing that would seem a bit early to me.

I've done a bit more digging and spoken to a couple of OPC's, tyre places and an indy:

The original sensors 7PP 907 275 B or RDE011 have a 96month/8yr life when fitted and pressure applied (tyre inflated) The new sensors are 9A7 907 275 06 or RDE048 and have a 10 yr life.

The OPC price breakdown is £133 for the sensor and £19 for the valve. £613 if done when replacing the tyres. TPMS warehouse are £86 for each assembly (RDE048) which are made by Huf.  Design911 also do replacements, as do many other suppliers.

The OPC can code them when fitted, but they advised you can just drive a mile or so and the car will update itself.

The sensors are not a warranty item as they have a battery installed.

My local tyre place say that changing the sensor can easily be done. It is not an issue.

I will be changing my tyres soon for Michelin's, but will wait to do the sensors until I get a warning light on the dash.

HTH 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’ll make it more simple 🤣

1, had wheels refurbed 

2, had new TPMS sensors fitted I purchased from TPMS.com

3, had new tyres fitted at same time

4, car calibrated itself 

7 hours ago, TrevTee said:

I've done a bit more digging and spoken to a couple of OPC's, tyre places and an indy:

The original sensors 7PP 907 275 B or RDE011 have a 96month/8yr life when fitted and pressure applied (tyre inflated) The new sensors are 9A7 907 275 06 or RDE048 and have a 10 yr life.

The OPC price breakdown is £133 for the sensor and £19 for the valve. £613 if done when replacing the tyres. TPMS warehouse are £86 for each assembly (RDE048) which are made by Huf.  Design911 also do replacements, as do many other suppliers.

The OPC can code them when fitted, but they advised you can just drive a mile or so and the car will update itself.

The sensors are not a warranty item as they have a battery installed.

My local tyre place say that changing the sensor can easily be done. It is not an issue.

I will be changing my tyres soon for Michelin's, but will wait to do the sensors until I get a warning light on the dash.

HTH 

Thx TT

when you say “The new sensors are 9A7 907 275 06 or RDE048”  does that mean these are interchangeable, or do you need to find out which yours are and it will be one or the other of these types?

On 5/14/2021 at 11:43 PM, Greenman said:

Thx TT

when you say “The new sensors are 9A7 907 275 06 or RDE048”  does that mean these are interchangeable, or do you need to find out which yours are and it will be one or the other of these types?

From what I found out the Porsche Pt no. is the 9A7......  which is made by Huf.  The Huf Pt no is RDE048.  Huf makes different sensors for several car manufacturers under different manufacturers part numbers, which will be identified on the sensor.  I will get a photo of the sensor with all of the info when I get the new tyres fitted.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/20/2021 at 10:57 PM, TrevTee said:

Thanks for the link.  Just surprised there are no posts about this as all new cars since 2012 had to have TPMS fitted.  Maybe mine have just failed early?

Hmm doing a little research as I was expecting my 2013MY base to have TPMS, as I was also under the impression all new cars from 2012 had to have it fitted, but the option doesn't appear on the PCM.

Is there any way I can find out if my car came with TPMS from the factory?

21 minutes ago, Justchris said:

Hmm doing a little research as I was expecting my 2013MY base to have TPMS, as I was also under the impression all new cars from 2012 had to have it fitted, but the option doesn't appear on the PCM.

Is there any way I can find out if my car came with TPMS from the factory?

If it does then you could access it via the on board computer. If this is not showing you ain’t got it. My MY 13 2.7 doesn’t have it

Edited by Ringmaster999

2 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

If it does then you could access it via the on board computer. If this is not showing you ain’t got it. My MY 13 2.7 doesn’t have it

Oh OK, was only asking as post above states mandatory on all vehicles from 2012 which is what I'd been told elsewhere.

As mine (and yours apparently) are 2013 then surely it should be fitted? My old 2007 1 series had it fitted, my wife's current 2013 DS3 THP has and even my wife's old 2012 Corsa had it.

Im new to the world of boxster ownership and whilst researching I've seen post on here and other forums about items losing their coding due to odd stuff like battery changes etc so I simply wanted to know if a) it was standard fit on a 2103 base, and b) there was any obvious way to see if the required equipment was there. 

29 minutes ago, Justchris said:

Oh OK, was only asking as post above states mandatory on all vehicles from 2012 which is what I'd been told elsewhere.

As mine (and yours apparently) are 2013 then surely it should be fitted? My old 2007 1 series had it fitted, my wife's current 2013 DS3 THP has and even my wife's old 2012 Corsa had it.

Im new to the world of boxster ownership and whilst researching I've seen post on here and other forums about items losing their coding due to odd stuff like battery changes etc so I simply wanted to know if a) it was standard fit on a 2103 base, and b) there was any obvious way to see if the required equipment was there. 

I certainly don’t have it so I don’t think it was standard fit. 

Direct Tyre pressure related TPMS became mandatory on all new model cars in November 2012. This was extended to all existing production models in November 2014. I believe the 981 had the full TPMS system as an option late 2013 and was standard from July 2014.

Edited by Ringer250

5 hours ago, Ringer250 said:

Direct Tyre pressure related TPMS became mandatory on all new model cars in November 2012. This was extended to all existing production models in November 2014. I believe the 981 had the full TPMS system as an option late 2013 and was standard from July 2014.

Thanks 👍

• 1 month later...

I changed my tyres a recently and checked the sensors, all of which are identical apart from their serial numbers.

The Porsche price is 133.90 each sensor and 19.43 per valve.  613.32 in total. They are made by Huf for VAG group cars and do not need coding when changed. just drive and the car updates itself.  Also, they are not covered by the warranty.

7PP 907275 is RDE011 and the original sensor, it has an 8 year life.  9A7 907275 is RDE048 and supersedes the original pt no. It has a 10 year life.

TPMS warehouse can supply the latest type sensor, RDE048 for 86.40 complete.  The tyre place I used said they could easily replace these sensors without removing the tyre, even on 20 inch rims.

HTH