Coding sport design wheel and 4 stalk module

graham964

I have just purchased from ebay the sd wheel 4 stalk (indicator light wiper selector) off of a written of Cayman S and will fit it shortly and then get it coded probably by a main dealer. Does anybody know what I should pay for this?

cheers

Graham

Fitted the SD wheel and stalks over the weekend and will book it in for coding in the week.I expected an error message or two but I got three as follows

PSM failure which I understand is common when you disconnect the battery but I don't seem to be able to clear it by switching ignition off twice,turning wheel by 20deg to the right and then driving forward. Hope it isn't anything problematic.

Auto stop start not activated. I am not sure about this one and how it links to the steering wheel change.

Limited function of steering wheel which  I expected.

Are these all normal?

Fitted the SD wheel and stalks over the weekend and will book it in for coding in the week.I expected an error message or two but I got three as follows

PSM failure which I understand is common when you disconnect the battery but I don't seem to be able to clear it by switching ignition off twice,turning wheel by 20deg to the right and then driving forward. Hope it isn't anything problematic.

Auto stop start not activated. I am not sure about this one and how it links to the steering wheel change.

Limited function of steering wheel which  I expected.

Are these all normal?

PSM warning and stop/start likely linked.   I think the car deactivates stop start of it thinks some thing else is wrong.  

the PSM warning is normal after a battery disconnect but normally goes off after a drive round the block (the sequence you describe matches my recollection of the actual documented process but it may be you didn’t go forward enough at the appropriate speed.   Genuinely a drive round the block seems to sort the issue.  

if not then perhaps you need to take a look at the installation. 

From your description I am not quite sure what you have replaced (is it just the wheel or have you added more “stalks” if so what did you have to dismantle to get to that part).  If you have removed or disturbed the clock spring behind the wheel then you may need to get a steering angle recalibration done.  Don’t know it that throws a PSM error but it seems possible.  

Thanks Paul

I purchased the wheel and a complete 4 stalk unit (including clockspring) together and simply installed them. I now have a complete 3 stalk unit with clock spring. Should I have dismantled the 4 stalk unit and put the extra lever on my three stalk unit? 

Thanks again

I just tried to book it in for coding at Porsche Bristol and nothing is available until mid 12th May!

Is there somebody with a PIWIS system in Somerset/Bristol?

The 'clockspring' unit is also the steering column control module.  It will be coded for the donor car, with its VIN, so that is why you are getting the errors.  You might be best to put your original clockspring in the 4-stalk, which might get rid of the PSM message.

8 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

From what I can make out from the instructions, if you are replacing a basic steering wheel with a basic SD wheel (no heating, sport, sport+ or launch control display) then you might not need to get it coded at all.

I did exactly that on Saturday and no issues on my 981 PDK.

51134700567_5017101864_b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Richard and Lonewolf my original wheel was a multifunction wheel but I now understand the need to put the original clockspring in and then get it coded. Is removing the clockspring just a matter of releasing the various plastic tabs around the perimeter in the stalk unit?

thanks again

Graham

I have thought about this a little more

Is it an alternative to move the fourth stalk across to the three stalk unit as I have two complete assemblies, the three stalk (original to the car with multifunction wheel) and four stalk bought from the breakers with the SD wheel. 

Whatever is the best route it looks like I will be back in the garage to remove the wheel and current donor 4 stalk. 

I will update with what I do. I found a video of how to remove a clockspring on a VW Jetta which was just 3 Torx screws (see 11mins 40 seconds and looks near identical to the one in my 981. Unfortunately I have no time to do this until Thursday.

Ok 

I have removed the wheel and 4stalk module from the car and put the three and four stalk modules side by side to look at the differences and the first thing to state is that my second idea of moving the stalk across won't work as the circuit board on the back does not extend to the position of the fourth stalk as can be seen below

51149927735_f548f02af3_z.jpg

So swapping the clockspring out of the 3 stalk into the newly acquired 4 stalk is the path to take which is quite well covered in the previous Youtube clip but essentially its three small Torx screws. Luckily I had one in my collection (Its only 2 to 3mm across) and then unclip. See photos below. The red tape is too stop the clockspring rotating.

51148823611_98472bf809_z.jpg

51149927570_5019781f81_z.jpg

51149049188_086ba686b3_z.jpg

You then need to prize open the two clips on the top (be careful not to break them), one of the clips is shown below. A bit of a wiggle and the clock spring will come off subject to the following comment

As you can also see I disconnected the white plugs to the clockspring which is ESSENTIAL, I didn't when disassembling the first unit and when the clockspring came off it pulled and snapped one of the black wires into the connector leading to a massive headache of how to open the plug which took longer than the whole job to sort out.

IMG-2476

I now have the two parts and simply swapped my clockspring into the 4 stalk housing and reassembled and I am fairly pleased to report that I only have one error message now which is as follows 

51148898681_761476cc89_b.jpg

I assume this is because my multifunction steering wheel is different enough to the sport design wheel below to need coding. Something I did not notice on the SD wheel is the spokes are filled with black plastIc (unlike lonewolf's which are hollow) and in the sunlight I saw that one had the lettering "sport+" which presumably lights up when selected which means the donor car must have had PASM. Mine does not have PASM.

Image 1 - 2012-2016 981 PORSCHE CAYMAN ALCANTARA PADDLE SHIFT STEERING WHEEL Multifunction

From all of this I think all I require is coding of the SD wheel which with luck should be a seamless process.

Time will tell. I will up date when I have found somebody to do the coding.

This job if the coding is successful was pretty easy if anyone is thinking of having a go.

6 minutes ago, graham964 said:

Ok 

I have removed the wheel and 4stalk module from the car and put the three and four stalk modules side by side to look at the differences and the first thing to state is that my second idea of moving the stalk across won't work as the circuit board on the back does not extend to the position of the fourth stalk as can be seen below

So swapping the clockspring out of the 3 stalk into the newly acquired 4 stalk is the path to take which is quite well covered in the previous Youtube clip but essentially its three small Torx screws. Luckily I had one in my collection (Its only 2 to 3mm across) and then unclip. See photos below. The red tape is too stop the clockspring rotating.

You then need to prize open the two clips on the top (be careful not to break them), one of the clips is shown below. A bit of a wiggle and the clock spring will come off subject to the following comment

As you can also see I disconnected the white plugs to the clockspring which is ESSENTIAL, I didn't when disassembling the first unit and when the clockspring came off it pulled and snapped one of the black wires into the connector leading to a massive headache of how to open the plug which took longer than the whole job to sort out.

IMG-2476

I now have the two parts and simply swapped my clockspring into the 4 stalk housing and reassembled and I am fairly pleased to report that I only have one error message now which is as follows 

I assume this is because my multifunction steering wheel is different enough to the sport design wheel below to need coding. Something I did not notice on the SD wheel is the spokes are filled with black plastIc (unlike lonewolf's which are hollow) and in the sunlight I saw that one had the lettering "sport+" which presumably lights up when selected which means the donor car must have had PASM. Mine does not have PASM.

Image 1 - 2012-2016 981 PORSCHE CAYMAN ALCANTARA PADDLE SHIFT STEERING WHEEL Multifunction

From all of this I think all I require is coding of the SD wheel which with luck should be a seamless process.

This job if the coding is successful was pretty easy if anyone is thinking of having a go.

Quite a complicated job you did there, I would of definitely cocked that up! It must be the lighting on my photo but my wheel is the same as yours just in leather 👍

Ok 

So swapping the clockspring out of the 3 stalk into the newly acquired 4 stalk is the path to take which is quite well covered in the previous Youtube clip but essentially its three small Torx screws. Luckily I had a small enough Torx bit in my collection (Its only 2 to 3mm across) and then unclip. See photos below. The red tape is too stop the clockspring rotating.

IMG-2476

2 hours ago, graham964 said:

Ok 

Did you not consider transferring the PCB from the 4 stalk to the 3? It's just retained by 3 Torx screws...

22 hours ago, graham964 said:

presumably lights up when selected which means the donor car must have had PASM. Mine does not have PASM.

FWIW. Sport and sport + are “sports chronos” modes not PASM.  

I suspect that error is steering angle calibration required but I may be wrong on that.  

Good work.  

I hope its a different issue Paul as I have tried several times to clear it with the following

Set wheels straight

Turn engine off

Turn ignition on then turn off

Start engine 

Turn wheel 20 degree to the right

Then drive straight at greater than 2mph for a short distance

Steering angle sensor should be set.

Which hopefully it is and the message I see is linked to some of the functions on the steering wheel needing to be recoded. Can anybody confirm?

2 hours ago, graham964 said:

I hope its a different issue Paul as I have tried several times to clear it with the following

Set wheels straight

Turn engine off

Start engine 

Turn wheel 20 degree to the right

Then drive straight at greater than 2mph for a short distance

Steering angle sensor should be set.

Which hopefully it is and the message I see is linked to some of the functions on the steering wheel needing to be recoded. Can anybody confirm?

The calibration routine for the clock spring is more that the reset of the psm.  There’s a diags process for doing it.  I am guessing since both sure what the 981 routine is but I know on the 987 there is a piwis routine for steering angle sensor that is more than the battery disconnect reset.  

@Richard Hamilton will likely know more.  

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

The calibration routine for the clock spring is more that the reset of the psm.  There’s a diags process for doing it.  I am guessing since both sure what the 981 routine is but I know on the 987 there is a piwis routine for steering angle sensor that is more than the battery disconnect reset.  

@Richard Hamilton will likely know more.  

Agree. I foolishly broke my clock spring when I did the job and had to make a trip to the dealer to have the replacement part coded by PIWIS.