New clutch tomorrow 😬

the baron

Finally going in to have the clutch replaced at CPS, it’s lasted 25yrs and 210k miles so not a bad effort, will be leaving the IMS in situ unless it’s looking weapy. Having some roof work done too, bit of alignment and the sensor put back in place which I buggered up when I removed the roof to replace  the drip tray.

Looking forward to a light smooth action......

18 hours ago, the baron said:

Finally going in to have the clutch replaced at CPS, it’s lasted 25yrs and 210k miles so not a bad effort, will be leaving the IMS in situ unless it’s looking weapy. Having some roof work done too, bit of alignment and the sensor put back in place which I buggered up when I removed the roof to replace  the drip tray.

Looking forward to a light smooth action......

Magnificent service record🙌🙌🙌

New clutch in, RMS replaced and new clutch fluid along with new arms and alignment of the soft opening all done at CPS, even got a complimentary leather OEM key fob.

Apparently the clutch was absolute toast, it’s now almost as if there is no clutch, it’s extremely light, no juddering when pulling away, just a a pleasure, it’s amazing what becomes the norm.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, the baron said:

New clutch in, RMS replaced and new clutch fluid along with new arms and alignment of the soft opening all done at CPS, even got a complimentary leather OEM key fob.

Apparently the clutch was absolute toast, it’s now almost as if there is no clutch, it’s extremely light, no juddering when pulling away, just a a pleasure, it’s amazing what becomes the norm.

And the IMSB 210,000 miles and still going strong?

The car must be even more of a pleasure to drive now!

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

And the IMSB 210,000 miles and still going strong?

The car must be even more of a pleasure to drive now!

Yup, no leaks from the IMS, neither was the RMS but that’s a no brainier to change and shouldn’t  have the same sort of issues with tolerances  etc which the research suggested with the IMS

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Think you got your monies worth out of the original clutch. You can now start dumping the new one at every set of lights lol Was it done while you waited and are you able to share how much £?

3 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Think you got your monies worth out of the original clutch. You can now start dumping the new one at every set of lights lol Was it done while you waited and are you able to share how much £?

I dropped the car off the previous night, but I could have waited but had an audit to attend, would rather not state price on forum but very reasonable, PM me if you want prices.

8 hours ago, the baron said:

I dropped the car off the previous night, but I could have waited but had an audit to attend, would rather not state price on forum but very reasonable, PM me if you want prices.

Thanks I took a look at CPS website and the indicative prices are on there 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

Hi, my 97, 2.5 is on 60k, it's juddering when reversing up a sloped drive, I think it's the dmf. The clutch is a bit heavy and i've got an oil leak around the gearbox housing (fingers crossed it's only the rms).

So, I'm going to get it all sorted when it's apart, how long was the job for yours? 

I live in the South Wales, so it's 2hrs each way for me to get to CPS.

Any recommendations for the work?

45 minutes ago, charliecwmboi said:

Hi, my 97, 2.5 is on 60k, it's juddering when reversing up a sloped drive, I think it's the dmf. The clutch is a bit heavy and i've got an oil leak around the gearbox housing (fingers crossed it's only the rms).

So, I'm going to get it all sorted when it's apart, how long was the job for yours? 

I live in the South Wales, so it's 2hrs each way for me to get to CPS.

Any recommendations for the work?

Worth the trip out to CPS, allow half a day minimum.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2021 at 10:56 PM, charliecwmboi said:

Cheers, will give them a call tomorrow.

Did you get it booked in ? I've had to wait a month to get mine in for a service with Chris Denning he's always busy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 9:41 PM, Guvs said:

Did you get it booked in ? I've had to wait a month to get mine in for a service with Chris Denning he's always busy. 

Sorry Guvs, my notifications are turned off, got so many apps connected on my phone would be going off all the time...

I called Chris, he's priced up the flywheel/clutch, but hasn't got back to me with a price / date for when he can fit me in.

We had a good chat, Chris has got 5 in the workshop and 5 waiting, mine can wait as it's only a weekender. I can get both in carpartsforless for £570, 20% discount at the mo, (Sachs clutch, luk dmf). Amazingly, euro car parts are about £200 more for the same stuff (exactly the same websites...).

Chris has noted that the judder could be other things, knows his stuff and once he gets back with a quote, I'd be happy for the job to be done with him, I'm confident he'll sort it.

I've called a garage over in raglan, they've quoted me £1000.00 labour. Just wanted to get a comparison.

1 hour ago, charliecwmboi said:

Sorry Guvs, my notifications are turned off, got so many apps connected on my phone would be going off all the time...

I called Chris, he's priced up the flywheel/clutch, but hasn't got back to me with a price / date for when he can fit me in.

We had a good chat, Chris has got 5 in the workshop and 5 waiting, mine can wait as it's only a weekender. I can get both in carpartsforless for £570, 20% discount at the mo, (Sachs clutch, luk dmf). Amazingly, euro car parts are about £200 more for the same stuff (exactly the same websites...).

Chris has noted that the judder could be other things, knows his stuff and once he gets back with a quote, I'd be happy for the job to be done with him, I'm confident he'll sort it.

I've called a garage over in raglan, they've quoted me £1000.00 labour. Just wanted to get a comparison.

£1000 labour to change a clutch and DMF??

16 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

£1000 labour to change a clutch and DMF??

Yep. That's what they said and that's why I'm looking for another quote.

I thought is what a bit high, but I didn't know if it was right.

I've heard 10-12 hours work for the job, would that be right?

Trooper88, that you selling a 987 on the bay? Looks near perfect.

1 hour ago, charliecwmboi said:

I had 2 quotes recently for clutch, flywheel and RMS on my 987. Both came to approx 10 hours labour and around £600.

When I have done them , working from home on axle stands, I allow two days, working by myself can be a bit of a jostle getting the box back in, plus you have to factor gear linkage seized up and won’t pop off (retaining clips) Etc. So 10 to 12 hours with a ramp possibly a little excessive, But again with all these things it’s a voyage into the unknown when nothing has been removed in twenty years 

Remember it is man hours.  So one guy for 6 hours and a second guy for 4 hours working with him makes 10 hours in labour.

7 hours ago, charliecwmboi said:

Thanks, yes, one of mine.

I do not like to comment on how long someone says they can do a job in tbh.

Some people work quickly and others slowly.

As Bally says, for a DIY'er, I would suggest you do it over 2 days as it is all physically challenging.

Bally - no need to remove the gear cables from the bracket, remove the bracket from the box instead 👍

To anyone wanting to give it a go, there is no need to remove the cats, just the muffler. 

Most will require new exhaust clamps, collars and muffler to cat fixings.

I have unfortunately had the box of one 986 3 times in the past week - fastest so far is just over an hour!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 3:07 PM, charliecwmboi said:

Hi Charlie.

Any luck yet ? I hope Chris has got back to you by now, if not he wont mind you reminding him and sometimes you have to as I have done in the past.

Guvs.

Hi Guvs, yep, had a great chat with Chris, I'm on his list, going to get it done sometime in June. He's up to his eyes with work atm.

Just had the clutch and dmf back from carpartsforless. They were delivered in a ecp van, had a chat with the delivery guy, turns out he's got a 987. He mentioned D9, I'll stick with Chris.