Has anyone replaced the Boxster badge?

Geopat

A little piece of from the B on my Boxster badge is missing.  Looks like it probably got caught in a cloth and broke.

I need to replace it because it’s playing havoc with my OCD. 
What’s the best way of doing this?  I trust the new badge will come pre glued.

Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, Geopat said:

A little piece of from the B on my Boxster badge is missing.  Looks like it probably got caught in a cloth and broke.

I need to replace it because it’s playing havoc with my OCD. 
What’s the best way of doing this?  I trust the new badge will come pre glued.

Thanks in advance.

Been there, done that 😀.

The new badge comes with pre-fitted sticky pad along its length.

To ensure you place the new one in the right place, I'd suggest using masking tape to mark the bounding box of your current badge before removal.

22 minutes ago, Geopat said:

Does it leave marks on the paint or were you able to get rid of residue glue?  If you can I might see what it looks like without a badge for a bit.

Depends. The bit under the original glue hasn't been exposed as much to the elements so on mine you could still see the faint outline of the original one all the glue was removed. But that was also handy for positioning the new one.

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

@Davey P didn't you use a toffee wheel in this situation?

Yes mate, it was advertised as a caramel wheel, not toffee, but same difference.  EBay item number:174076936992 is the same, but there are hundreds of them on ebay or Amazon.  I used it on a cordless drill, so the speed was quite low, and it worked a treat. 

Looks much better without the badge IMHO, so I would recommend not replacing it.  Here's how mine looked after removal:

20210228_154736

:thumbsup_anim:

Some buy new Porsche badges with correct adhesive, some get used badges and painstakingly attach adhesive, some debadge.  They might debadge and after a couple of years decide they want a badge back. No biggie.

As mentioned, if the paint underneath has not faded as much as the rest you might need T Cut or some similar to blend it in. EDIT or maybe not (see below)

I asked about the Caramel Wheel but my dentist recommended against it.

Edited by Menoporsche

36 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

As mentioned, if the paint underneath has not faded as much as the rest you might need T Cut or some similar to blend it in.

Don’t do this, if you get to the point that the faded paint is beginning to blend in you will already be well through the clear coat and into the colour coat and needing a respray.

24 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Don’t do this, if you get to the point that the faded paint is beginning to blend in you will already be well through the clear coat and into the colour coat and needing a respray.

You'd have to be really going some with T cut to get all the way through! You would get bored before it happened I imagine 😂

@Geopat I have a Da polisher that I used, you are more than welcome to come over and ill run over the ghosting with it and see if it removes it.  Worked perfectly on mine, but my car is dark

Edited by MickH

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Absolutely, you won't get a colour fade corrected on a clear lacquered finish with T cut.