Popular off-factory options?

Medic-one

Is there a list of that the different options are for a 987.2 somewhere? 

Just trying to get my head round it all. What are the most popular options people like having?  I'm looking at a 987.2 3.4 S. 

I've read "sports chrono pack" but have also seen adds with "sports pack" or "chrono pack" without the other one. 

And what suspension packs are there? Some of the ones I've seen in adds appear rather high on their wheels, whereas others have had a drop and look a bit nicer for it. 

What are your 'must have's' if you were looking for a nice 987.2? 

For me:

Extended leather as it just adds a touch of specialness to the interior over standard

PDK & Sports Chrono - just to get the little clock which is 99% unused but looks great. PDK is a great gearbox and you get launch control. Ideally get one with paddles as thay improves the manual changes when you want to

Heated seats - roof down all times of the year, so heated seats are a must

Bigger wheels - mine had factory 19 and i thought they filled the arches well and looked "right". Smaller wheels probably give a comfier ride, but Porsche is about looks to

Noise - PSE or Carnewal exhaust would be nice as the standard is fairly quiet. A free option is to desnorkel it - gives a bit more noise around 4,000rom, but not as much as a godo exhaust. Avoid the ebay exhausts as many have reported droning on long runs.

Cruise control is a nice to have if you are driving distances, not very important if its a weekend toy

A lot of members have changed the Stereo/Nav as it is 10 year old tech, but personally i prefer the OEM look so was happy to keep mine. I had the ASK system which was plenty loud enough when i wanted it to be.

Aux In port within the central arm rest - not an issue if you've changed the headunit, but if not, this helps with phone connectivity 

Other than that i found that very few cars had the same spec as everything was an option at the time, so decide what bits you want and look out for them, but i wouldn't personally discard a car if one of them were missing as you need to buy on condition and history - good luck!

42 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

Just trying to get my head round it all. What are the most popular options people like having?  I'm looking at a 987.2 3.4 S. 

I've read "sports chrono pack" but have also seen adds with "sports pack" or "chrono pack" without the other one. 

And what suspension packs are there? Some of the ones I've seen in adds appear rather high on their wheels, whereas others have had a drop and look a bit nicer for it. 

I'll wade in with my "wants/needs" when not jumping between meetings - but I have a 987.2 sales brochure in PDF format that might be useful - drop me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a copy.

shamelessly copying bits of Matts post as I don't like him anymore and didn't want to type much of his sage advice (He sold his lovely black version) 🙂

Extended leather as it just adds a touch of specialness to the interior over standard

PDK & Sports Chrono - just to get the little clock which is 99% unused but looks great.

PDK is a great gearbox and you get launch control. Ideally get one with paddles as thay improves the manual changes when you want to. 

Some prefer Manual boxes and that's OK to. 

Heated seats - roof down all times of the year, so heated seats are a must

Bigger wheels - 19" fill  the arches well and looked "right". Smaller wheels probably give a comfier ride, but Porsche is about looks to

Noise - PSE or Carnewal exhaust would be nice as standard sounds like a wheezy VW.

I went for Carnewal and it changes the Car for the better = hooligan.

Avoid the ebay exhausts as many have reported droning on long runs - buy cheap, buy twice and ruin your ears

Cruise control is a nice to have. I use it a lot on motorway journeys. 

Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDSL) = bixenon lights. The standard ones aren't very bright. This was a must for me and very good in the darker months

A lot of members have changed the Stereo/Nav as it is 10 year old tech. The standard PCM 3.0 is okay, but depends how you listen to music. I prefer spotify so upgraded to the Pioneer SPH-230DAB like so many here. Now Waze, Google Maps and basically the phone is abailable to me via the touch screen

Aux In port within the central arm rest - If you don't go upgrade route above is worth looking out for. 

I don't have PASM and haven't missed it. The car runs on rails and is comfortable with 19" alloys 

1 hour ago, Medic-one said:

If you want to be really thorough you can look up the list of build codes for each year here:

Porsche option codes by model years - Stuttcars.com

It also tells you about where to find the codes but usually on a rectangular sticker one of which is often on the car (Under the bonnet in the case of 986 but I'm not sure on the 987.2) and possibly one in the service book.  Once you get a car, or have a VIN number at least, @T911UK can get you a full factory build spec for that car for a small donation to BoXa, go to the Technical Questions section.

The build and option codes as well as loads of information on how to decipher the chassis, engine and transmission numbers to work out model years and engine types etc. are also listed at the start of the parts catalogue which can be downloaded from Porsche (for free unlike most manufacturers) here:

Porsche Classic Genuine Parts Catalogue - Porsche Great Britain

Edited by ½cwt

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

I'll wade in with my "wants/needs" when not jumping between meetings - but I have a 987.2 sales brochure in PDF format that might be useful - drop me a PM with an email address and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers Paul, that is very kind. 

Holy grail cars have:

- Sport Chrono

- PSE

- PASM (but you really need to fit a DSC control module to get the most out of it)

- a manual stick (obviously subjected 🙄)

Nice to haves are:

- full leather

- heated seats

- sport steering wheel (especially if PDK but also better for a manual)

- Climate control (not just air con, Porsche call it “dual air con” just to confuse things)

- Sport seats

- BOSE

- rear parking sensors

- the upgraded headlights

- did I mention a manual box 🤣........in all seriousness PDK is great, if its a daily.........otherwise manual is better 🤣

As you get to know these cars you can spot most options from pics as often adverts are just wrong / miss options fitted 😉

I5cErp7.jpg

Edited by Jonttt

One small addition/difference.  987.2 with PDK and Sports Chronos gets another button next to “sport” labelled “sports plus” 

I assume if you have pasm then that button moves along one space but not sure.  

mine is pdk and  has sports chronos and pse and the sequence is sport, sport plus,pse 

So I've driven the PDK version with the Sport chrono pack, and could definitely notice the difference in gear changes with the 'sport' button pressed, but what does 'Sport' do in a manual car ? Is it just the exhaust note that changes ? 

55 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

So I've driven the PDK version with the Sport chrono pack, and could definitely notice the difference in gear changes with the 'sport' button pressed, but what does 'Sport' do in a manual car ? Is it just the exhaust note that changes ? 

987.2 Blurb on the Sport mode subsequent installation

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ba=Boxster&ma=PCGB (RL)&sp=1&bt=987 II&mo=Boxster&co=30&ac=product&pr=003A00F13C9D38EBC1257981004A664E

Generally I think it sharpens the throttle response, if you have PASM it will hint to PASM that you are playing and as Meno says relaxes PSM a bit - I also think it does something to the rev limiter - turns it from a "soft limit" to a "hard limit" - so will rev to the limit rather than "near the limit a bit ish" ( thats the closet I have got to understanding what that actually means).

I have it in the current car, didn't have it in the previous (Both PDK) and I like it as another dimension - it makes a difference to the gear changes, holds a gear longer, will change down more readily and more "cogs" and combined with the other tweaks just gets the car more "up for it".

People often wonder why you need sport chrono on a manual car but its more than just about changing when you change gear.........it sharpens the engine mapping so the car feels much more eager on the throttle ..........the changed mapping also has an effect on how PSE sounds........it noticeably changes the character of the car.........it is well worth having even on a manual car and means if you have it with PSE and PASM you have 3 features which are all switcheable so you can mix and match...........ps Sport chrono sport plus mode on a PDK car is useless on the road as it holds onto the revs for far too long in every gear, you are much better off putting it into sport and manual gear change mode (assuming the 987 works the same as a 981 with those options)

Edited by Jonttt
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonttt said:

you are much better off putting it into sport and manual gear change mode (assuming the 987 works the same as a 981 with those options)

since adding the Carnewal exhaust last year, this is how my spirited runs are driven. 

flick fwd to change up, pull back to change down. In my mind i'm Ari Vatanen in a Group B rally car  🙂

13 hours ago, Pinewood said:

since adding the Carnewal exhaust last year, this is how my spirited runs are driven. 

flick fwd to change up, pull back to change down. In my mind i'm Ari Vatanen in a Group B rally car  🙂

Except no Gp B had had a sequential 'box, you still need a good old H pattern DIY manual shift for that scenario. 😉

• Haha 1