Front wheel vibration- changed tyres, tuning forks, coffin arms, rebalanced 3 times at different garages - still remaining.

andygo

44 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Don't know where you are based but folks speak highly of these guys for getting to the bottom of all sorts of wheel/geo issues. Maybe at least worth a phone call.

http://www.centregravity.co.uk

They are amazing for chassis setup (they did my cayman in March) but possibly overkill for this. A hunter roadforce balance really is the place to start. I'd bet money on it being a tyre out of balance

3 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

They are amazing for chassis setup (they did my cayman in March) but possibly overkill for this. A hunter roadforce balance really is the place to start. I'd bet money on it being a tyre out of balance

I would like to agree with you thats its just a tyre out of balance, but the symptoms are identical even swapping to brand new tyres and 5 attempts at balancing accross 2 different tyre fitting places makes me think that's a heck of a coincidence. Even so, the place I'm going to take the car to tomorrow said it could still be the case. It will be interesting to find the root cause. I'm quite prepared to eat my (metaphorical) hat of course. :)

1 hour ago, andygo said:

I would like to agree with you thats its just a tyre out of balance, but the symptoms are identical even swapping to brand new tyres and 5 attempts at balancing accross 2 different tyre fitting places makes me think that's a heck of a coincidence. Even so, the place I'm going to take the car to tomorrow said it could still be the case. It will be interesting to find the root cause. I'm quite prepared to eat my (metaphorical) hat of course. :)

I went through very similar with my Cayman and in the end it was because the normal tyre fitters hadn't accounted for a stiffer part of the tyre. I had it roadforced balanced, the tyre rotated, and voila, all was well in the world.

I think the issue is that Porsches (which have no weight over the front) are very sensitive to imbalances and so even a tiny error in the wheel balancing ends up causing an issue that can be felt through the wheel. You could of course have a more serious issue (buckled wheel, alignment problem etc) but it sounds unlikely to me...

I looked for a Hunter roadforce operator not too far from MK but haven't been able to find one. Where did you find your place please? I guess I couod call Pro Align in Towcester who appear to be the `UK distributers.

42 minutes ago, andygo said:

I looked for a Hunter roadforce operator not too far from MK but haven't been able to find one. Where did you find your place please? I guess I couod call Pro Align in Towcester who appear to be the `UK distributers.

Bit of a journey, Nottingham, no experience of them, random google

https://www.bcs-automotive.co.uk/hunter-road-force-wheel-balancing/

12 hours ago, andygo said:

I went to imperial tyres in Swindon. It cost me 50 quid but was well worth it and cheaper than the 3 normal balances I had paid for

Just got back from having my front wheels checked. Rims were absolutely spot on, nothing out of true. Tyres had a tiny amount of irregularity, but well within tolerances. Everything rebalanced, but they doubted they had fixed anything.

Drove away and could tell it was better after about 100 yards, Went up the A5 and, er, pretended it was an Autobahn. All pretty perfect now. Pretty surprised it was all doen to balancing after all.

Panic over, as you were. Thanks for the help, particularly PFX near Witney for his kind offer of a wheel swap.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, andygo said:

Just got back from having my front wheels checked. Rims were absolutely spot on, nothing out of true. Tyres had a tiny amount of irregularity, but well within tolerances. Everything rebalanced, but they doubted they had fixed anything.

Drove away and could tell it was better after about 100 yards, Went up the A5 and, er, pretended it was an Autobahn. All pretty perfect now. Pretty surprised it was all doen to balancing after all.

Panic over, as you were. Thanks for the help, particularly PFX near Witney for his kind offer of a wheel swap.

When are you going to be eating that metaphorical hat of yours?

I started to eat it, but got tyred. It tasted of hot air... :)

I was a bit unbalanced when I suggested I ate that metaphorical hat, things are rolling along a little smoother for me now.

Edited by andygo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, andygo said:

I started to eat it, but got tyred. It tasted of hot air... :)

I was a bit unbalanced when I suggested I ate that metaphorical hat, things are rolling along a little smoother for me now.

Unbalanced diet ? 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Unbalanced diet ? 🤣

I'm not so sure about that, but maybe the car had been drinking too much V power, too much to drink can make one a little wobbly. Apparently.

Guy that runs my local tyre dealership had a similar prob with his cayman. Tried everything including having the tyres shaved which I've heard done on race tyres but never road tyres. Nothing worked and he knows his stuff. In the end he put a pair of new tyres on - cured. He won't fit anything but PS4s onto my boxster because of this. 

That or he made the whole thing up to make me spend more money.

On 4/28/2021 at 11:51 AM, andygo said:

Nope, its on 19" Sport Design 15 spoke wheels. They are pretty chunky wheels, so a fair amount of mass to have rotating when you think about it.

You don't want those sport design wheels they're rubbish. I'll take them off your hands and I won't even charge you.

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2021 at 11:23 AM, andygo said:

Fabulous, really happy for you - it's the type of problem which you just can't ignore and it gets you worried thus spoiling the experience....