Lightweight Battery

GTSMarky

Anybody changed the battery for a more compact unit like an Odyssey or similar?

I  swap out my bike batteries for Li Ion and my BGTS battery is nearly 7 years old.  It's fine at the moment and gets conditioned via the Optimate regularly, but I'm thinking I may replace it before it fails.

To swap over I plan to keep a second battery close by to keep power to the car.

I've done li ion on bikes mostly because they hold charge forever but the battery is also a reasonable percentage of the weight. Never on a car though. I can't see the cost/benefit graph crossing at a reasonable point.

Mind you last time I checked car li ions were darned expensive. Don't know if that's still the case.

What would the aim be to replace the battery with a more compact one? Space saving? Weight saving? Where it is located isn't going to free up any usable space and for road use I would guess there is no noticeable difference to most drivers saving a few kgs to only have more problems going forward. Having had the small Odyssey type batteries on my kit cars, they were very sensitive, hated cold and once discharged was lucky if they ever came back. Tech may have improved since though.

Also given it is a stop start car the battery tech needed is different to cope with the deeper cycles. The cars currently have AGM type batteries fitted with lots of electronics monitoring/charging. Personally I see no gain in changing unless you're stripping out for a track toy where every kg matters

32 minutes ago, CMA said:

What would the aim be to replace the battery with a more compact one? Space saving? Weight saving? Where it is located isn't going to free up any usable space and for road use I would guess there is no noticeable difference to most drivers saving a few kgs to only have more problems going forward. Having had the small Odyssey type batteries on my kit cars, they were very sensitive, hated cold and once discharged was lucky if they ever came back. Tech may have improved since though.

Also given it is a stop start car the battery tech needed is different to cope with the deeper cycles. The cars currently have AGM type batteries fitted with lots of electronics monitoring/charging. Personally I see no gain in changing unless you're stripping out for a track toy where every kg matters

I agree with this.   For a stripped out racer/track car it makes sense.  Some of the batteries used in McClarens etc cost in the thousands of pounds, in. £200k+ With a carbon tub and lightweight everything it makes perfect sense.  I’m not sure a 5-10kg saving in the Boxster is likely to be worth the cost/compromise.

13 hours ago, Spinjim said:

I would be interested in this as I think my battery is on its way out and the stop start thing never works. 

Jim

This is one of the reasons behind the massive batteries nowadays...  Pah to global warming and efficiencies when the battery to work your stop/start uses more fuel to carry about.  Madness..

2 hours ago, CMA said:

Fair points you mention & because I can is the answer along with the weight/space benefits.  Just seems logical to have something lighter/smaller if that's feasible.

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

I agree with this.   For a stripped out racer/track car it makes sense.  Some of the batteries used in McClarens etc cost in the thousands of pounds, in. £200k+ With a carbon tub and lightweight everything it makes perfect sense.  I’m not sure a 5-10kg saving in the Boxster is likely to be worth the cost/compromise.

Agreed entirely.  Just a nice to do for me personally, but if sourcing one is a headache I'll just wait for mine to die - not that it shows any signs of it ATM..

There was a thread on here called ‘lightening the load’ or similar where someone stripped out a lot of weight from a 986/7. This may be the same guy on another forum showing an Odessa extreme pc680 in place.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/52022-lightening-load.html

That was Steve's car. He's from Kent hence the username on the other forum. His car was sold onto the mainland and was a dedicated Ring track car last time.