Should I jump to a 996?

stupidget

A mate of mine informed me of a 2001 996 Carrera 2 with 78k miles and 4 previous owners that's going for £15.5k.  I went to take a look at it yesterday and have to say that I was pretty impressed.  There is a full service history with 80% Porsche the rest at Indy's.  The interior is spotless, the exterior doesn't have any marks, the oil cap was clean, there was no ticking from the engine when idle and all the electrics worked ok including the sun roof, windows and heated seats.  The issues I did see were the A/C didn't work which could be a just a re-gas or possibly knackered condensers (I need to get them to check), rear tyres are old and need replacing and brake disks need skimming as there is surface rust on them as the cars been sat outside for a few months.  I checked the MOT history and it passed it's last one so the question is, what are the pro's and con's of a 996 of a 986s?

My biggest issue is that they're only going to give me 4k for my 986 s!!!!  My 986 s is a Tip 2004 in seal grey and I've had the A/C fixed, it has cruise control and OBC, 95k on the clock, Full service history, drives perfectly, new rear tyres, no cr*p in the oil cap, engine runs superbly.

Has anybody owned both a 986 and a 996 and able to tell me the good and bad of both? 

33 minutes ago, S2sam said:

Sell the 986 private or do wbac they'll give you more than that for it , good luck 

That's what I was thinking of doing actually.  I've heard that Motorway are pretty good with their prices and in some cases offer

more than WBAC.

Edited by stupidget

I've a 3.2 s seal grey 04 plate 71000 3 owner with good spec ,manual  , out of curiousity I did a wbac last month came back with £6400, if you leave it bit the offer  gradually grows , I reckon you'd get around  £7.5 k in the current climate privately , if not a tad more 

2 hours ago, stupidget said:

A mate of mine informed me of a 2001 996 Carrera 2 with 78k miles and 4 previous owners that's going for £15.5k.  I went to take a look at it yesterday and have to say that I was pretty impressed.  There is a full service history with 80% Porsche the rest at Indy's.  The interior is spotless, the exterior doesn't have any marks, the oil cap was clean, there was no ticking from the engine when idle and all the electrics worked ok including the sun roof, windows and heated seats.  The issues I did see were the A/C didn't work which could be a just a re-gas or possibly knackered condensers (I need to get them to check), rear tyres are old and need replacing and brake disks need skimming as there is surface rust on them as the cars been sat outside for a few months.  I checked the MOT history and it passed it's last one so the question is, what are the pro's and con's of a 996 of a 986s?

My biggest issue is that they're only going to give me 4k for my 986 s!!!!  My 986 s is a Tip 2004 in seal grey and I've had the A/C fixed, it has cruise control and OBC, 95k on the clock, Full service history, drives perfectly, new rear tyres, no cr*p in the oil cap, engine runs superbly.

Has anybody owned both a 986 and a 996 and able to tell me the good and bad of both? 

I used to own a 986 3.2S Boxster and a 996 911 Carrera. Two different driving experiences, the Boxster far and away was the fun drive of the two and I kept it much longer than the 911.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fish19700 said:

I used to own a 986 3.2S Boxster and a 996 911 Carrera. Two different driving experiences, the Boxster far and away was the fun drive of the two and I kept it much longer than the 911.

Do like the 996.1..Don’t like the update style headlights on the 996.2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I’ll give you 60. 

Well it's an improvement on wbac at least!

To really rub salt in the wounds they emailed me a week later after the £50 offer and said the price was about to go down so I'd better act quickly.😵

1 hour ago, Pordave said:

Surely it’s worth more as scrap than that! 

1 hour ago, jonogt6 said:

I think it's because it's pre 2000 which seems to default to £50 regardless of make or model. That's my theory anyway.

Stick your reg in now.Mines gone up a couple of grand since I last checked👍

as suggested by @Menoporsche I wasn't looking for a 911 but ended up doing a deal involving a straight swap for my TVR. I haven't driven another 911 so don't have anything to compare it with but so far, I am very impressed with it. My Boxster was a 987 not a 986 but I quote like the feel of the 996. When I got it, the 996 was on old tyres and mismatched as well and I wasn't sure about the steering although a geo set-up and new tyres soon sorted that.

It depends on if you want a roof or not. Personally, I am not a fan of the 911 convertible.

One thing I will say is that the parts are the same price if they go wrong but the value of the 911 is higher than the Boxster which is good for man maths. 

• Thanks 1

I just did an estimate on Motorway for my 2001 986 S.   They obviously have no idea of the history and condition and therefore have substantially under-estimated the value.  I would say if yours is in good condition with a good history and with lots of maintenance carried out then private will be the only way to achieve a value close to its worth.  

She's gone 😭

So I flogged my 2004 S Tip to WBAC yesterday and I must admit I was surprised at what I got offered.  The on-line price offered was £6132, which I knew I was never going to get, and was expecting them to walk around the car and pick up every single stone chip and scuff and knock off £50 for each one.  What actually happened was that I drove up, parked the car, chap comes over and asks me to start the car, we go through the service book, check the dash for warning lights, check how many keys I've got for the car, checks that the roof opens and closes as it should and then walks around the car.  The only things he picked up was the crack in the rear bumper and the cracked clear coat and scuffs on the front bumper.  After a chat about why on earth had he moved from Cornwall to Wolverhampton he offered me £5340 and that was that.  Now I know I could have got more it'f I'd have sold it privately, but to be honest, I really couldn't be arsed with the hassle of maybe putting it on eBay, or Autotrader and having time wasters, no shows and just having to wait for it to sell.  Whereas now I have £5340 to put towards my 996 C4.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stupidget said:

She's gone 😭

So I flogged my 2004 S Tip to WBAC yesterday and I must admit I was surprised at what I got offered.  The on-line price offered was £6132, which I knew I was never going to get, and was expecting them to walk around the car and pick up every single stone chip and scuff and knock off £50 for each one.  What actually happened was that I drove up, parked the car, chap comes over and asks me to start the car, we go through the service book, check the dash for warning lights, check how many keys I've got for the car, checks that the roof opens and closes as it should and then walks around the car.  The only things he picked up was the crack in the rear bumper and the cracked clear coat and scuffs on the front bumper.  After a chat about why on earth had he moved from Cornwall to Wolverhampton he offered me £5340 and that was that.  Now I know I could have got more it'f I'd have sold it privately, but to be honest, I really couldn't be arsed with the hassle of maybe putting it on eBay, or Autotrader and having time wasters, no shows and just having to wait for it to sell.  Whereas now I have £5340 to put towards my 996 C4.

Just out of curiosity did you declare the rear bumper and clear coat cracks?

Well done on getting sorted, don't forget pics of the 996 when you get it :)

• Like 1

I did declare the rear bumper crack but never even noticed the cracked clear coat on the front bumper.

I asked the guy what the most expensive car that he’d bought and it was a £150k Lamborghini!!!