Wind Deflector rattle - normal?

Paul O

Hi all,

I took my 987.1 out for its first real run in my ownership today with the roof down - noticed the wind deflector glass section is a bit rattly. Is this normal, or some kind of connection that I might need to fix/replace?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Paul O said:

Hi all,

I took my 987.1 out for its first real run in my ownership today with the roof down - noticed the wind deflector glass section is a bit rattly. Is this normal, or some kind of connection that I might need to fix/replace?

Thanks!

Normal, but easily fixed by sticking a couple of small adhesive felt pads (such as you buy for ornament bases and furniture legs) just under the top clips.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

Each to their own. Been there , done that and wanted the job done properly after the deflector had started to unclip itself. They are a little more expensive to replace …😀

Thanks both, appreciated. I think i'll go for the new clips, just to be on the safe side as not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things. :) 

5 hours ago, Paul O said:

Thanks both, appreciated. I think i'll go for the new clips, just to be on the safe side as not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things. :) 

If you PM me an email address I have a doc which will help re removal and refit.

The clips are held on by rivets so you’ll need a rivet gun to fix the new clip rivets in place and a plastic trim removal tool to remove the hoop trims to access the rivet points.

I removed the old rivets by using a small flat screw driver tucked under the head and tapped them with a hammer a few times, which sheared the heads off. I then poked the remainder of the old rivets into the hoops with a punch tool. I suppose you could also drill the heads off but my approach worked better for me.

Rolson 44409 Four Head Rivet Gun

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001TOI666/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_EB16K1H8P49ZRPSYVX7N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I used the top of this trim removal tool to get behind the hoop trims, to unclip the three fixing screws, pull the trim forward and it will release.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Take a look along the top and see how warped it is. If it's straight or thereabouts you won't loose it and the felt pad fix will be fine. If it's too wonky either new clips or even a new deflector but even if you replace either/both it might still rattle and you'll end up sticking the pads on anyway.