986 electric roof

stevemag

Hello all.

Just taxed the car as corvid regs relaxing means it's actually worth getting out of the garage

Hurrah

And roof is not working

No noises

Handbrake light ( MICROSWITCH)

Working ok

Fuses number 3 row D 30amp ok

Fuses number 6 row B 15smp ok

Car is yr 2000 986 2.7

But

This micro switch above the interior light looks a bit naff.

[img]https://www.tm-img.com/images/2021/05/01/20210501_121703.jpg[/img]

I can't seem to post the picture , but one of the soldered bars looks like it's not factory solder. It's also loose in the holder.

I guess I need a new one ?

Edited by stevemag

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

Super common and yes, ideally you need a new one but like the last person who took that apart, you could fudge it.

Be careful removing the spring clips as they bend easily and you need to reuse them tbh

Cheers 

I guess there is a "relay" hiding somewhere in the car I should also check ???

8 minutes ago, stevemag said:

Cheers 

I guess there is a "relay" hiding somewhere in the car I should also check ???

You had the latch unit in your hand.

There are 2 microswitches in this - one to tell the windows to drop and one to inform the relay that the roof can open.

Re-solder the terminals where someone has had a go before.

If this does not have a positive result, remove the relay and tap it hard on the floor. It is the large relay directly above the main fuse board.

• Thanks 1

Ill probably buy 

A new microswitch unit from 911 design . This unit looks a bit bodged. 

My hands are way too unsteady to solder ( shaky right hand, medical issues)

I've found the dual relay, all clean terminals, nothing loose inside replaced it in its slot. Still not working.

It's a £58 fix for after the bank holiday (microswitches)

49 minutes ago, stevemag said:

Ill probably buy 

A new microswitch unit from 911 design . This unit looks a bit bodged. 

My hands are way too unsteady to solder ( shaky right hand, medical issues)

I've found the dual relay, all clean terminals, nothing loose inside replaced it in its slot. Still not working.

It's a £58 fix for after the bank holiday (microswitches)

As per my previous post, it is not just one microswitch but two....

• Thanks 1

If you dont mind i want to get in on this post. Ive noticed last couple of times i put my roof down i was getting same issue. Unclip the roof and the windows would drop but the the roof wouldnt go down, pulled handbrake on and off a couple of times and clipped and unclipped the roof latch and then it would work. I know the handbrake needs to be on, my question is, is there another switch on the handbrake for the roof or does it just go off the switch for the handbrake light on the dash?

Cheers

Guys, the roof is a complex box of tricks, if you want to see how complex, open up the relay.

As I said above to Stevemag, there are 2 micrswitches in the latch and there are a few different types available. The latch unit is not just the roof controller but your interior light and part of the the alarm system (motion detection). 

The one micorswitch tells the windows to drop whilst the other talks with the relay. 

Mr M9G UK, remove the relay and tap it on the floor a couple of times and this may help locate the fault as you say your windows do drop. 

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Guys, the roof is a complex box of tricks, if you want to see how complex, open up the relay.

As I said above to Stevemag, there are 2 micrswitches in the latch and there are a few different types available. The latch unit is not just the roof controller but your interior light and part of the the alarm system (motion detection). 

The one micorswitch tells the windows to drop whilst the other talks with the relay. 

Mr M9G UK, remove the relay and tap it on the floor a couple of times and this may help locate the fault as you say your windows do drop. 

Ok will do thanks, just been out and found that it wouldnt open so unhooked and hooked the roof latch a few times and it didnt make a difference then i worked the handbrake up and down a few times and it then worked, so assuming its more than likely then to be a switch on the handbrake which is not the same switch to put the handbrake light on the dash

31 minutes ago, M9G UK said:

Ok will do thanks, just been out and found that it wouldnt open so unhooked and hooked the roof latch a few times and it didnt make a difference then i worked the handbrake up and down a few times and it then worked, so assuming its more than likely then to be a switch on the handbrake which is not the same switch to put the handbrake light on the dash

Sounds like you are making progress.

These car love to be used and there is nothing worse for them than in frequent use. 

Hope you sort it

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Sounds like you are making progress.

These car love to be used and there is nothing worse for them than in frequent use. 

Hope you sort it

Yeah your right, i very rarely use it, it sits outside my house for weeks without moving. Just never have anywhere to go. One positive it keeps the milage low

Design 911 delivered via DHL ( aka Drop it, Hide it ,Lose it)

In 24hrs to my door

Fitted in 10mins

15mins it total and roof is fully working.

Cost £59 

When you see the bodged one it replaced, you can see why it wasn't working.

Fingers crossed that's it job done 

I've had (and still have got for that matter) roof issues and it's all frustrating stuff.

Last year, mine stuck in the closed position and after a lot of fiddling, skinned knuckles and some help, I managed to convert it to manual operation (which I think is the safest long term option.)

Since then, I regularly re-visit the problem and have confirmed that the clamshell microswicth is fine (the car alarms if the clamshell is lifted when the car is locked), I've re-soldered the microswitches that your picture shows and confimed that they are now working (have also shorted to earth the three wires that connect to those microswitches showing that whatever the problem is it's somewhere else ) and have taken out and checked the operation of the microswitch on the side pillar (this makes the windows drop as the roof approaches it's fully home position) and I've taken apart and refreshed the solder on all the connections in the double roof relay control unit.

I take the "windows drop" reaction as a sign that things are probably OK, and over the winter, this just hasn't worked, however, a few weeks ago, it started working, then it stopped, then it started again etc.

I've since discovered that if the windows don't drop then if I reach up under the dash and just apply the lightest of pressure to the double relay unit, then the windows correctly drop, so I'm pretty sure that there's a bad connection on the rear side of the socket that the double relay plugs into.

I just now need to work out if it's an easy job to actually pull that relay back plane out into the footwell so that I can hopefully access the connections on the rear of it and clean them up and I might (might being the operative word) have solved the issue.

I think you need double  jointed arms and a triple jointed neck to be able to see in there ...... has anyone pulled that back plate out?

57 minutes ago, CRC said:

I've had (and still have got for that matter) roof issues and it's all frustrating stuff.

Last year, mine stuck in the closed position and after a lot of fiddling, skinned knuckles and some help, I managed to convert it to manual operation (which I think is the safest long term option.)

Since then, I regularly re-visit the problem and have confirmed that the clamshell microswicth is fine (the car alarms if the clamshell is lifted when the car is locked), I've re-soldered the microswitches that your picture shows and confimed that they are now working (have also shorted to earth the three wires that connect to those microswitches showing that whatever the problem is it's somewhere else ) and have taken out and checked the operation of the microswitch on the side pillar (this makes the windows drop as the roof approaches it's fully home position) and I've taken apart and refreshed the solder on all the connections in the double roof relay control unit.

I take the "windows drop" reaction as a sign that things are probably OK, and over the winter, this just hasn't worked, however, a few weeks ago, it started working, then it stopped, then it started again etc.

I've since discovered that if the windows don't drop then if I reach up under the dash and just apply the lightest of pressure to the double relay unit, then the windows correctly drop, so I'm pretty sure that there's a bad connection on the rear side of the socket that the double relay plugs into.

I just now need to work out if it's an easy job to actually pull that relay back plane out into the footwell so that I can hopefully access the connections on the rear of it and clean them up and I might (might being the operative word) have solved the issue.

I think you need double  jointed arms and a triple jointed neck to be able to see in there ...... has anyone pulled that back plate out?

I am sorry but I really do not understand what you are having trouble with.

The roof relay simply pulls out and the fact that when you touch it, the windows work is telling you this is the problem.

Rip it out, get the part number and get one ordered.

No, no,  it's not the roof double relay ......  I've pulled that out numerous times, it's the base "tray" that the roof relay and the other half dozen relays plug into that I would like to pull out.

The female sockets that the double relay male parts  plug into must have electrical connectors that connect to the car's wiring loom. These will be on  on the rear of that tray, and it's those that I'd like to have a look at.

I don't think the double relay unit is faulty .... it's what it plugs into that I think requires attention.

38 minutes ago, CRC said:

No, no,  it's not the roof double relay ......  I've pulled that out numerous times, it's the base "tray" that the roof relay and the other half dozen relays plug into that I would like to pull out.

The female sockets that the double relay male parts  plug into must have electrical connectors that connect to the car's wiring loom. These will be on  on the rear of that tray, and it's those that I'd like to have a look at.

I don't think the double relay unit is faulty .... it's what it plugs into that I think requires attention.

I think it’s the relay 👍🏻

Remove it, tap on the floor and your roof will work 

On 5/1/2021 at 8:29 PM, TROOPER88 said:

As per my previous post, it is not just one microswitch but two....

No, definitely only one micro switch in this windscreen unit. 

There is another in the rear of the clam shell cover.

Anyway,  job done in minutes with the nice new switch