2013 981 PCM3.1 Hard Drive Failure?

BrianJ

During the latest lockdown I stored my 2013 981 for a few months on the CTEK in my garage. Before storing the PCM was turned off completely. On restart everything works except neither Navi nor Maps will load (just says "Navi loading" or "Maps loading" then reboots after a few mins) and the jukebox is no longer listed under "Sources". I've tried the PCM Handover and Factory reset processes to no avail. My strong suspicion is that the PCM hard drive has failed. Googling reveals that this is quite a common fault on 981s and 991s and OPCs just replace the whole lot, which sounds expensive (no warranty on my car). Although replacing with a non-Porsche unit is an option, I actually quite like the way the PCM navi works (zoom on the right knob and route display in the dials). Another option appears to be repair - does anyone have any experience of using the postal service from https://www.pcmrepairs.co.uk/ (Cartronics in Byfleet) in similar circumstances please, ir indeed any other repairer?   Many thanks.

My next video will show you how to remove the PCM, remove side panels from console, remove 4 torx screws and disconnect wiring (awkward) the HDD is on the top of the unit held with a few torx screws. Would have thought any computer repair shop could handle the cloning if you aren't comfortable.

The HDD in my PCM has packed up in my 14 plate 981 also, as the OP described, no prior warning, just stopped, tried the reset routine, no go. Fortunately for me, the car is under extended warranty, so is booked in for a week's time.

Wonder if they will attempt to clone the old HDD ( Not worried about the music on the Jukebox), but an up to date version of maps would be nice ??

Edited by Stu67

50 minutes ago, daz05 said:

My next video will show you how to remove the PCM, remove side panels from console, remove 4 torx screws and disconnect wiring (awkward) the HDD is on the top of the unit held with a few torx screws. Would have thought any computer repair shop could handle the cloning if you aren't comfortable.

Thanks daz05, I follow your videos, they're great. I guess you are correct but it depends what went wrong with the HDD as to whether all the maps come back etc. Also, from US sites, different ages of 981 PCM3.1 appear to have been built with different types of HDD. Cartronics appear to offer a complete solution including latest maps. Once I find out what that means they are probably looking favourite. But I look forward to your video!

42 minutes ago, BrianJ said:

Just for info I've asked an OPC for their solution (no warranty). Based on US comments I'm expecting a wry laugh or a quote for about £3000. Or both. 

It would be interesting to hear what they say , pretty sure it will be the latter based on the experience of others.

FYI, when I spoke to the local OPC (Extended Porsche warranty) the routine is to try re flash the PCM firmware to latest revision. If the the PCM reboots itself during this process (Mine seems to be in a 2 Min boot loop) the whole PCM will be toast.....

So if not under warranty, I would keep it away from an OPC, you could end up with a big bill or an unrepairable unit. The idea of cloning the failing drive to an SSD seems like the way forward.

This video on removing the trim down the side of the console is spot on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdiRMxcHy8. I've just unclipped mine with the aid of a thin stainless spatula handle. As the video says, once you have released all the clips, hold the trim away from the console slightly so that the clips are clear of their holes and pull it straight backwards from the dashboard. There is a little loose plastic trim tab which fits into a hole next to the PCM (see pic). The top of that is flat plastic which the trim slots over. If you wiggle the trim up and down too much you will break the tab. Once the trim is removed this just comes out of its hole, revealing the top screw for the PCM.  

981 trim tab.jpeg

• Like 1

The other clip you could easily break by wiggling the trip is a plastic hook toward the front on the inside of the trim panel. No problem for me but pulling straight out worked fine. After undoing the 4 x T25 screws, getting the PCM unit out is (in my opinion) best done with two people. I first pulled the PCM fuse (Row B, position 10 in the passenger side). Then loosened the unit, placed a towel over the PDK lever, turned on the ignition, moved the PDK to Drive, lifted the unit out over the lever, gave it to my assistant to hold, returned the PDK to Park and turned off the ignition. I guess depending on the options fitted to the car there may be more or less connections at the back - mine has 6, all colour coded (see pic). Apart from the big multi-pin one, which has plastic retainer to press which then opens the clamp and allows you to pull off the multi-pin connector, the other 5 are really awkward and there isn't a lot of slack in some of the cables. I found a small mirror really handy to get a view of each connector design. Most of them have a plastic top or side which needs pressing with a small flat-bladed screwdriver whilst you grip the connector with needle-nosed pliers and pull it free. Because of cable constraints the rear of the unit more naturally faces the passenger than the driver, so i found myself pressing with the screwdriver whilst my assistant in the passenger seat balanced the unit on a knee and pulled the connectors off. Much easier done outside so you can get the doors open.1122137934_RearofPCMV3.thumb.jpg.a01a3a9143cd5bdabe525ab018b6f90d.jpg       

• Like 1

So, couriered to Cartonics, arrived end of day. Inspected very quickly following morning, apparently not hard drive but failed main logic board. £1050+VAT, incl (after discussion) latest maps as per their web site. Had OPC quote of nearly £1400+ VAT for replacement unit (incl PCGB discount) + latest maps @ £300 incl VAT. After a session on the local defibrillator I decided to bite the bullet and go with the Cartronics repair. I know I could replace PCM with much cheaper CarPlay-enabled unit but car has Sport Chrono which would be compromised, as would much of the PCM ease of use and instrument integration which I like. Will hopefully be repaired in about 7 days and sent back plug and play. Now I've taken it out and inspected the various plugs left in the car which are all colour coded and designed to fit one way only, the replacement looks fairly straightforward and quick. Will report back later.   

• Like 3

9 hours ago, daz05 said:

Where have they sourced a new board from or can it be repaired? 

Don't know. I was going to check the HDD cover anyway. But for all I know the HDD may have to be removed to get at the rest of it. It's a bit like going into hospital for surgery - eventually you have to trust that you aren't being stitched up (pardon the pun). 

< cynic warning >

those folks have a good reputation for fixing PCM.  Can’t argue with that.  

However.  I wonder if anyone’s repair has been significantly less that “about a grand mate” And I also wonder if Porsche were asking 600 for a new one of every repair would be about “400 quid mate” 

I may be completely off base of course and yup it’s cheaper than a new one but I do wonder.  

That’s an interesting point I wonder if it’s an exchange part or if you can keep the old one for the same price.  

At least you would have a warranty on the whole unit for a period of time I guess, rather than going again if a new fault developed. 

whatever the supply or repair cost is, in all cases it’s an awful lot of money for what it is but I for one totally get where you are coming from with the integration etc. I would be the same and I suspect my level of integration (pcm 3 in a 987.2) is not as complete as yours.  

Be good to have it sorted I would imagine.  

7 hours ago, Paul P said:

< cynic warning >

those folks have a good reputation for fixing PCM.  Can’t argue with that.  

However.  I wonder if anyone’s repair has been significantly less that “about a grand mate” And I also wonder if Porsche were asking 600 for a new one of every repair would be about “400 quid mate” 

I may be completely off base of course and yup it’s cheaper than a new one but I do wonder.  

Exactly what I was thinking, way more likely to be the HDD which is more like £50 than a grand, check it over when it's returned, if those HDD seals are broken you'll know.