2013 981 PCM3.1 Hard Drive Failure?

BrianJ

44 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Or for half of that (no proof it's working mind)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284210965621

This whole PCM 3.1 specification area is a minefield. This one looks nothing like mine, back or front. Probably out of a 987.  Even on 981, there are so many options - DAB, Sports Chrono, etc that getting an exact match is unlikely. Then there’s all the other Porsche models that PCM3.1 has been in too, with their options. Very tricky unless you (and ideally the seller) know what you are doing.

19 minutes ago, BrianJ said:

This whole PCM 3.1 specification area is a minefield. This one looks nothing like mine, back or front. Probably out of a 987.  Even on 981, there are so many options - DAB, Sports Chrono, etc that getting an exact match is unlikely. Then there’s all the other Porsche models that PCM3.1 has been in too, with their options. Very tricky unless you (and ideally the seller) know what you are doing.

Says it's out of a 981 Cayman, it's possible the logic board would be the same.

I get why you've gone your chosen route and it's in their hands now. 

If mine I would  have been tempted to try the HDD replacement first, but it's your car etc.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Edited by iborguk

6 minutes ago, iborguk said:

If mine I would  have been tempted to try the HDD replacement first, but it's your car etc.

Yes, it was very tempting. But I have several reasons why I needed a one hit fix rather than a possibly self-induced multi-stage cockup. My suspicion is that you are right. We’ll see.

11 minutes ago, BrianJ said:

Yes, it was very tempting. But I have several reasons why I needed a one hit fix rather than a possibly self-induced multi-stage cockup. My suspicion is that you are right. We’ll see.

Yup fair do's.

As per @RickLS7 if the logic board is replaced suspect it will need recoding to the car with a PIWIS.

I think it's more likely HDD or a joint/chip on the board which is sorted, guesswork on my part mind.

Be interested to hear how it's remediated.

Edited by iborguk

30 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Yup fair do's.

As per @RickLS7 if the logic board is replaced suspect it will need recoding to the car with a PIWIS.

I think it's more likely HDD or a joint/chip on the board which is sorted, guesswork on my part mind.

Be interested to hear how it's remediated.

I had a portable HDD and it went on the blink and I thought I had lost all my data.  Phoned around and got quotes of £400 ish to repair and restore.

Before committing I searched YouTube and sure enough some guy had a video up where he dabbed a hot solder iron where the connector sits. Thought why not....

10 mins later I had all my data and it still works today 😂. Trying that on the pcm may be another matter mind ! 

Just now, iborguk said:

We need a friendly DIYer to get hands on with some of the PCM variants to see what’s common in the internals.

Had mine out the other week. The nav utilises the HDD so I suspect the non nav units don't have one.

4 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I had a portable HDD and it went on the blink and I thought I had lost all my data.  Phoned around and got quotes of £400 ish to repair and restore.

Before committing I searched YouTube and sure enough some guy had a video up where he dabbed a hot solder iron where the connector sits. Thought why not....

10 mins later I had all my data and it still works today 😂. Trying that on the pcm may be another matter mind ! 

I think the drive clone isn’t too much harder. It’s the surgery to get it out and then stick into into a drive caddy to clone the drive with a copy of CloneZilla. Of course it’s all perspective as I have form for doing that kind of thing but I get it you’re not familiar with the process it would be more daunting (like asking me to do something mechanical on these cars !)

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Had mine out the other week. The nav utilises the HDD so I suspect the non nav units don't have one.

Yeah very likely , the commonality on the board(s) across variants  would be interesting to know e.g is it a common mainboard  with maybe some peripheral board variations depending on the options installed.

Edited by iborguk

13 minutes ago, daz05 said:

doesn’t the 981 have a “jukebox” function where you can copy tunes to it.  That would use HDD wouldn’t it ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul P said:

doesn’t the 981 have a “jukebox” function where you can copy tunes to it.  That would use HDD wouldn’t it ? 

Yes, mine does (or did) 😱

Just now, iborguk said:

Good point. Well argued 😀

Again some tear downs of variations needed to demystify things re the design. You’d like to think it’s modular , which would save time and expense in manufacture but who knows without sight of opening up a few of differing options…

3 hours ago, Paul P said:

PCMs for cars built after Nov 2012 had jukebox and yes that feature also utilises the HDD, the 981 standard CDR units don't have an HDD so no jukebox or nav in those.

Just to conclude on this from my perspective, I received the PCM back from Cartronics today. Not possible to inspect the interior because all the covers have Cartronics own "don't tamper with this or you void the warranty" labels over them. However, it took about 5 mins to reinstall the PCM in the car and it all appears to work. Before I sent it to them it had V4.52 of the system software, which a couple of years ago when updating the maps my OPC told me was the latest that would run on that unit, even though V4.76 was available. It now has V4.76 on it and although hard to tell until I drive to somewhere with some recent road improvements or POI changes, the maps look a bit different to me. All the integration with the rest of the Porsche instruments appears to work fine. So my conclusion is that without a forensic inspection, the system board and system software have been changed and the maps replaced with the latest version.  Expensive but desired result and they seem to know what they are doing. And as they promised, no coding required by OPC. 

Edited by BrianJ
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, BrianJ said:

Just to conclude on this from my perspective, I received the PCM back from Cartronics today. Not possible to inspect the interior because all the covers have Cartronics own "don't tamper with this or you void the warranty" labels over them. However, it took about 5 mins to reinstall the PCM in the car and it all appears to work. Before I sent it to them it had V4.52 of the system software, which a couple of years ago when updating the maps my OPC told me was the latest that would run on that unit, even though V4.76 was available. It now has V4.76 on it and although hard to tell until I drive to somewhere with some recent road improvements or POI changes, the maps look a bit different to me. All the integration with the rest of the Porsche instruments appears to work fine. So my conclusion is that without a forensic inspection, the system board and system software have been changed and the maps replaced with the latest version.  Expensive but desired result and they seem to know what they are doing. And as they promised, no coding required by OPC. 

Brian was the original HDD tamper seal on the top of the unit covered up as well then? 

All that matters is that it works and you are back out on the road!

32 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Brian was the original HDD tamper seal on the top of the unit covered up as well then? 

All that matters is that it works and you are back out on the road!

Yes it was.

Just a warning that the HDD replacement with SSD upgrade cannot be done in early 981s like my 2012 Boxster S.

Like most things in my life I found this out the hard way, when I removed and opened my PCM unit today with a view to doing the upgrade. I quickly saw that the interface on the OEM Toshiba HDD was completely incompatible with the Samsung SSD I intended to replace it with (for the techies on here, the Samsung SSD is SATA, the Toshiba is old-fashioned ATA). The label on the Toshiba stated it was 40GB, with a build date of 20 February 2012.

It therefore appears that only the later PCM 3.1 units with the 100GB HDD can be replaced with SSD, so those contemplating what is a very sensible preventative maintenance upgrade first need to check whether their PCM 3.1 has Jukebox. If it hasn't, it simply can't be done.

For me it's now just a case of waiting for my lovely old-fashioned Toshiba HDD to fail, as all mechanical HDDs eventually do. Then it's a full PCM replacement unit required. Lucky me 😬