Rear support arms

RalphyBMW

My car is currently in bits, and I noticed the undertray support brackets that are mounted to the chunky alloy support beams, are really crusty. These support brackets seem pretty inexpensive, but how do you remove them from the aluminium beams? Looks like a captive bolt with no way of holding it in place.

The bolts were seized in place when I tried to remove mine - galvanic corrosion between the steel / aluminium. They sheared off so I drilled them out and used a nyloc nut and bolt instead.

If you scroll down here you see what I mean... 

Cheers, Mike.

@Miket999 - thank you very much for that, your car looks amazing, and your pics and explanation were really helpful.

Not sure I’ll get mine quite so shiny (too much other stuff to do with the bloody thing atm) but this looks straightforward at least!

2 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

They just unbolt from the aluminium braces. I removed mine a few months back.

For some reason the underside of my car is in great shape, but the fixings - less so!

These are quite crusty and just spin.

1 hour ago, RalphyBMW said:

For some reason the underside of my car is in great shape, but the fixings - less so!

These are quite crusty and just spin.

Mine were nuts screwed on to studs, not bolts going in to the aluminium braces.