Exhaust Studs

Gareth_W

Hi all,  I've just ordered a Top Gear valved exhaust and the biggest issue I'm going to have is removing the original exhaust, can anyone offer any advice on how to remove existing studs, here's a pic of the studs

tg9ms17.jpg

As you can see they are heavily corroded so not sure the best way to tackle them. 

Gareth.

I can only offer sympathy. I’ve just done this exhaust install and I was so lucky as mine were in perfect condition and all loosened without drama.

The only solace I can give you is that on my 2005 987.1 3.2, the bolts were just straight through, not pressed in. As you don’t need anything from the silencer side of that joint, as you’ll be replacing it all, I would be tempted to angle grind the old pipe off, then with better access you can grind off each nut and hopefully drive the bolts out with a hammer and punch.

Good luck! 

On my 986 a leak developed at that joint. When I inspected, the nut and bolt (head) had rusted away. The joint was being held together only by the stems of the bolts which had corroded in place. I was able to squeeze the joint together with mole grips, then prise it apart using a screw driver between the flanges. After repeatedly doing this I was able to get more and more movement in the joint until it came apart. I then used a hammer and punch to drive out the bolt stem from the half of the flange it was still stuck in. Based on my experience, I'd grind off what remains of the nut and bolt head and work on the joint as I did.

Edited by Boxob

@BBB I have considered cutting it off at the pipe but don't really want to do it incase I don't like the top gear unit and have to put original back on, I can only hope that the studs are not pressed, were your studs original or had they been previously replaced?

I feel your pain. Just had to do this last week and mine looked the same.

They were spot welded on the stud and nut. Lots of heat and persistence persuaded them to eventually give up. Hammer and punch also needed to get the stud out of a couple of them.

The plan was to fit a valves exhaust but not yet done it due to other work needing doing.

Good luck. It will be worth it in the end 👍🏻

@Laney456 Hi Tom, unfortunately the current system is useless as there a hole in the top corner of the muffler (reason for changing it), I only referenced the possibility of reattaching it if i really didn't get on with the top gear unit but then I'd have to try and repair it (unlikely).

L7kULqL.jpg

2 minutes ago, Laney456 said:

PS.. my cracks..

vkXaFfp.jpg

Incidentally... do you think these are repairable / patchable ?

Flipping exhaust is driving me nuts 🙂 

Had similar on a 987.1 exhaust - not repairable, had that feedback from both Gert (Carnewal) and a rated local welding guy.

My exhaust studs / nuts, or what’s left of them, look the same but thankfully no signs of any blowing from the join.

If extracting using a hammer / punch, be prepared to change the lambda probe as I’ve read numerous posts about these failing after the exhaust has been tackled. Apparently they don’t like the shock of the repeated hammering...

44 minutes ago, Boxstercol said:

My exhaust studs / nuts, or what’s left of them, look the same but thankfully no signs of any blowing from the join.

If extracting using a hammer / punch, be prepared to change the lambda probe as I’ve read numerous posts about these failing after the exhaust has been tackled. Apparently they don’t like the shock of the repeated hammering...

Thanks for the tip, if the sensors are prone to fail because of the shock then it might be worth trying to remove them first, although that might be easier said than done.

Edited by Gareth_W
Typo

If there hasn’t been a problem for a year then I guess you are fine.  If the sensors were damaged by the shock from hammer then they would cause issues soon after.  

@bally4563 did mine for me using his portable acetylene torch kit. Burnt them out in under a minute each one. Brilliant bit of kit which I ever needed wouldn't hesitate to buy. Luckily Mick was only just down the road from me otherwise I would still have been running my (very successful) home made bent washer clamps.