Exhaust Studs

Gareth_W

10 hours ago, The Caped Crusader said:

@bally4563 , what type of portable acetylene kit did you use? 

I have two.

one I borrow off a HVAC mate ( about 50 lt bottles) and my own which are around 2 lt bottles, bought as a kit from a HVAC supplier, oxygen gets used up pretty quickly on this set and costs £20 for a new one, but for one off jobs like drop links etc, more than pays its way,will post a pic up later.

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

I have two.

one I borrow off a HVAC mate ( about 50 lt bottles) and my own which are around 2 lt bottles, bought as a kit from a HVAC supplier, oxygen gets used up pretty quickly on this set and costs £20 for a new one, but for one off jobs like drop links etc, more than pays its way,will post a pic up later.

Oxygen

Minus Oxy bottle, seem to recall these retail for £100, complete kit, nozzles , striker, glasses etc.

• 6 months later...

Hi all!

I know this is an old one, but worth to tell me own experience (and solution) on this problem as this will happen eventually.

Mine looked exactly like the ones on the OP, a slight touch with a screwdriver and all fall in a crumble of rust. Basically what remains of the stud is rust-welded and there is no much that can be done other than to drill them out. Do not hammer them, you might break the cat cell.

However the best way for me to get the job done was with a tungsten carbide burr tool on a dremel. 

To get better access, put the car in stands and remove both rear wheels. Unbolt the whole exhaust from the support in the back, and drop it down. It's not difficult.
Avoid metal debris into the cat, cover the out with some rag.

I replaced the studs with stainless steel bolts and nuts (M8 x 30mm)

Don't forget to replace new exhaust gaskets. 

Since you are there, I'd recommend to replace all the bolts of the exhaust support, most likely they will be quite rusty. Stainless steel M8 x 16mm, all of them. Use blue Loctite.

I got the bolts from eBay, from bolt-world. Search for "M8 (8mm) A2 STAINLESS HEXAGONAL FLANGE BOLTS WITH FREE A2 SERRATED FLANGE NUT"

If your cat bolts are still in good condition, I would recommend to replace the studs for new ones as a preventive measure. 

Good luck!
Felipe

I had the same issue. I'm not bragging here but I got them out in under 20 mins with a SDS drill on hammer with a pointed chisel. 

That was months ago and I've had no issues with my cats or sensors. 

I just cut them flush placed the pointed chisel on them and pressed the trigger on the drill. It pushed them straight out.