Do Steering Columns go bad?

Dodgster1

Hi Guys,

I’ve a 2001 Boxster S and I’ve been chasing the same issue for months now...clunking whenever I turn the steering wheel when either reversing, going forward etc.

As there’s 100K plus on the clock I’ve replaced all of the suspension front and back, everything yet I still get the clunking.

my next task is to put a refurbished steering rack on the car which will once again swap out the inner and outer tie rods (which I don’t mind) however I’ve recently read that from the sounds of the clunking it may well be that the actual column has gone bad.

There is absolutely nothing on the net for swapping these out and I’m not familiar with the make up of the column though I’ve seen quite a few of them advertised for sale on the usual used parts sites.

my question is this, do steering columns on 986’s go bad? And if so how do I swap them out? I know a brand new one would be silly money so I’d go along the route of picking one up and paying to get it refurbished but I’ve no clue as to how to fit this particular item.

The other parts, provided you take your time are doable but I’ve got a blind spot about the thought of doing this so any suggestions on all fronts would be appreciated 

Are you sure it's not the engine mount? Do you get the same clunk when you turn the wheel whilst parked?

The engine mount was changed last November...and the clunk was there prior to this so I guessing it isn’t the engine mount however I wouldn’t rule anything out... are they renowned for doing this? 

53 minutes ago, edc said:

Are you sure it's not the engine mount? Do you get the same clunk when you turn the wheel whilst parked?

Since you mentioned the engine mount I’ve taken the car for a drive and it’s not only the clunk when turning the steering wheel I can hear all sorts of groaning whenever it goes over any bumps in the road.

when I replaced all suspension parts the springs I got lowered the car by approximately 40mm so now whenever I encounter a “sleeping policeman” in the road I inevitably hear a scrape...if it’s clunking simply by turning and I’m getting all of these noises then the engine mount needs to be looked at again I think...

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

I sick to stock as Porsche intended and do not like the aftermarket scene at all. The fact that it has been lowered by 40mm and scraping over speed bumps is enough for me.

The knocking is most likely the top mounts. 

When I ordered the springs I didn’t think 40mm would matter as buying springs all round from Porsche main dealer way way out of my price bracket.

when you say top mounts are you referring to the triangle shape mounts that sit above the springs?

both are brand new ...well 4 or so months old.

All the parts replaced were from what I can see the first replacement since it came off the production line and as we know parts for these cars don’t come cheap....

2 hours ago, Dodgster1 said:

When I ordered the springs I didn’t think 40mm would matter as buying springs all round from Porsche main dealer way way out of my price bracket.

when you say top mounts are you referring to the triangle shape mounts that sit above the springs?

both are brand new ...well 4 or so months old.

All the parts replaced were from what I can see the first replacement since it came off the production line and as we know parts for these cars don’t come cheap....

Yes, they are the top mounts. 

Your problem could be any number of things I am afraid and impossible to diagnose without me seeing it.

Bit of a long shot but could it possibly be the brake pads moving within the calipers? I sometimes get an audible clunk from my front ones when moving of from standstill. Can be either forward or reverse.

It's silent when moving though.

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

Are you sure the springs are seated properly? We've had springs clunking where they meet the mounts on here before IIRC.

I’ve attempted to check them myself. Initially the one on the front right didn’t appear to be seated in the new Koni  shocks but both now appear seated properly...still the clunk carries on...the more I think about I I'm thinking it could be a combination of at least two things, the engine mount may not be seated correctly or maybe a bolt has been lost or displaced...this would account for the noise when travelling and possibly something to do with the seating of the springs as the whole suspension was changed, springs, top mounts, bearings, the works and quite possibly, despite looking correct and all torqued to specification something is amiss...

anything with anti roll bars, sway bars? Lowering the car will change the geometry a lot. Top mounts must be rigid, and should enable smooth rotating of the coil springs.

I am not expert but this video may help for checking. You can check the suspensions while front side on jacks and wheels removed. I don't know but you may need to increase the load on the suspension with trolley jack(s) during steering inputs. If you can replicate the sound that you hearing while the car on this position that would help.

What Koni dampers are you running? The Special Active or FSD type aren't meant for springs that lower a lot.

A 40mm spring* drop is the most significant I've heard of on a 986.  Remember that this is the static drop so the chassis and suspension arms will move as the suspension compresses/responds to bumps.

In addition to all the sound advice above - and based on personal experience of very tired 30mm drop springs - I would urge caution.

At that degree of drop it is very likely that the car's geometry is all over the place.  With sufficient compression the rear wheels will toe out - you won't need much if any compression to push the geometry that far with a baked in 40mm drop and I wouldn't mind betting that this is pushing the components to contact and the noises you're hearing are the result.

If the others' suggestions above don't address the problem I'd recommend fitting factory springs (secondhand would be OK - I know where a usable set might be found) and seeing if that fixes the symptoms you're describing.

*ignoring air suspension

• Like 2

4 hours ago, femreg said:

anything with anti roll bars, sway bars? Lowering the car will change the geometry a lot. Top mounts must be rigid, and should enable smooth rotating of the coil springs.

I am not expert but this video may help for checking. You can check the suspensions while front side on jacks and wheels removed. I don't know but you may need to increase the load on the suspension with trolley jack(s) during steering inputs. If you can replicate the sound that you hearing while the car on this position that would help.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, map said:

A 40mm spring* drop is the most significant I've heard of on a 986.  Remember that this is the static drop so the chassis and suspension arms will move as the suspension compresses/responds to bumps.

In addition to all the sound advice above - and based on personal experience of very tired 30mm drop springs - I would urge caution.

At that degree of drop it is very likely that the car's geometry is all over the place.  With sufficient compression the rear wheels will toe out - you won't need much if any compression to push the geometry that far with a baked in 40mm drop and I wouldn't mind betting that this is pushing the components to contact and the noises you're hearing are the result.

If the others' suggestions above don't address the problem I'd recommend fitting factory springs (secondhand would be OK - I know where a usable set might be found) and seeing if that fixes the symptoms you're describing.

*ignoring air suspension

I’ve just recheck and it’s 30mm...at the outset I thought that the drop wouldn’t be significant but even from the look of it the drop is huge.

i didn’t want this but the cost was too inviting to turn down.

i’ve had the engine mount looked at today and one of the four bolts is missing. The guy I took it to in November was having a time swapping in a new mount...now I know he didn’t do a proper job.

I’ve ordered the bolt and will get someone recommended to do the job properly.

I’ll see if the clunk disappears then but I may have to look at 2nd hand springs...

4 hours ago, edc said:

What Koni dampers are you running? The Special Active or FSD type aren't meant for springs that lower a lot.

I’m not sure...I originally was going to retain the ones that I originally had but the nut seized and had to be cut off so a new set was needed.. I used the ones recommended by Design 911 as my first choice (which I forget the name of) had a 3 week wait before they would arrive...

51 minutes ago, Dodgster1 said:

I’ve just recheck and it’s 30mm...at the outset I thought that the drop wouldn’t be significant but even from the look of it the drop is huge.

i didn’t want this but the cost was too inviting to turn down.

i’ve had the engine mount looked at today and one of the four bolts is missing. The guy I took it to in November was having a time swapping in a new mount...now I know he didn’t do a proper job.

I’ve ordered the bolt and will get someone recommended to do the job properly.

I’ll see if the clunk disappears then but I may have to look at 2nd hand springs...

Am the source of some usable secondhand springs map was referring to - overnight parts from Lancashire.

My car's currently having a suspension upgrade, and have a full set of matched stock springs which are no longer needed. Can make these available to you, if it would help.

To be clear, was / am not looking to "sell" - I will simply have no use for them, and would rather somebody else benefitted from them, instead of them sitting around taking up space.

Edited by K.I.T.T.
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Am the source of some usable secondhand springs map was referring to - overnight parts from Lancashire.

My car's currently having a suspension upgrade, and have a full set of matched stock springs which are no longer needed. Can make these available to you, if it would help.

To be clear, was / am not looking to "sell" - I will simply have no use for them, and would rather somebody else benefitted from them, instead of them sitting around taking up space.

I’d appreciate it greatly if it’s not too much trouble to send them to me (I will cover the postage cost of course). I’ve already got rid of my original springs. In my naivety I thought that 30mm was nothing however as soon as they were put on both the stance and the tyre distance between the wheel arch were noticeably different.

In my opinion the Boxster never needs to be lowered.

Can we exchange details to arrange this? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 5:47 PM, edc said:

Do you get the same clunk when you turn the wheel whilst parked?

Is this a "known" problem? I realized today mine does a light clunking noise when turning the steering wheel whilst standing still.