Bose Sub-woofer retention after Head unit change

Gramps

Hi all. Changed my head unit end of last year for a Pioneer  AVH-Z5200DAB.

I know it said that you'd lose the back-front fade option, but I didn't think I'd lose the back completely.

I now have a redundant Bose shelf.  Anyone managed to get the shelf working after changing the head unit?

It's not the end of the world as the stereo still sounds fine without it, loss of hearing with age helps with that aspect.

But I'd like to have it working if poss. 

Cheers

49 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Your MOST adapter should send the signal to the amp for front and rear speakers. I used a Xtrons adapter and it works fine.

Hi Tony. 1st mention I've seen of an "Xtrons adapter" So do you have the option to fade front/rear with this?

I would be grateful for any more info. Cheers..Rob

No I don't have front and rear fade

How is your headunit connected to the BOSE amp? You should have some form of adapter for the fibre optic (MOST) cables. Mine is manufactured by Xtrons but Connect2 also produce them.

Read through this:-

13 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

No I don't have front and rear fade

How is your headunit connected to the BOSE amp? You should have some form of adapter for the fibre optic (MOST) cables. Mine is manufactured by Xtrons but Connect2 also produce them.

Read through this:-

Hi Tony. Yes I have the Incartec adapter kit with the analogue to optic converter. The door speakers work fine, just the rear shelf now dead. Do your rear speaker work ok?

Yes.

Your rears should be working as long as the front and rear balance on the original Porsche unit was set to middle when it was removed. Also just check the rear speaker shelf connection block behind the passenger seat.

Different head unit for me, but same Incartec kit and similar results but I do definitely still get some output from the rears, just not as much as I'd like.

Had read somewhere else to ensure you set the rear fader to the level you want (some US posts said it needed to be set to '4' - though not sure why), so reconnected original unit a few time to try no rear bias, tried set to rear by 4 clicks and thought maybe possibly a slight difference but not much, set it fully to rear (seemed to make no difference at all) - so in the end just set it back to standard with no rear bias as I wasn't sure it had any impact at all.

Possibly it was marginally a little louder from the rear after I'd set to 4 clicks rear bias - but at the time I don't really thing it made much difference at all.

Not ever had bose so this is all "3rd hand reading" - but I read that in addition to front / rear traditional fading there was also something in the bose world called something like "soundpilot" which was supposed to give some surround sound and speed or ambient noise volume adaption. Some said that even with the original setup they got better sound from the rears with that all switched off......

So - if all that is fact then possibly the amp is still in "I have "soundpilot" making dynamic adjustment" mode and that since it's getting no further hints from the head unit then the levels remain low.

Or I could just be talking (more) nonsense.

On 5/6/2021 at 2:57 PM, Paul P said:

Not ever had bose so this is all "3rd hand reading" - but I read that in addition to front / rear traditional fading there was also something in the bose world called something like "soundpilot" which was supposed to give some surround sound and speed or ambient noise volume adaption. Some said that even with the original setup they got better sound from the rears with that all switched off......

So - if all that is fact then possibly the amp is still in "I have "soundpilot" making dynamic adjustment" mode and that since it's getting no further hints from the head unit then the levels remain low.

Or I could just be talking (more) nonsense.

Cheers for the info Paul. Things have moved on from my original post and I'm about to add to this one. On a completely different subject I've just ordered a baseball cap with the Porsche crest embroidered, £9 again, + any postage if I happen to get some done for any other forum members. Would that be of any interest to you? Cheers...Rob

On 5/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, Babaa said:

Different head unit for me, but same Incartec kit and similar results but I do definitely still get some output from the rears, just not as much as I'd like.

Had read somewhere else to ensure you set the rear fader to the level you want (some US posts said it needed to be set to '4' - though not sure why), so reconnected original unit a few time to try no rear bias, tried set to rear by 4 clicks and thought maybe possibly a slight difference but not much, set it fully to rear (seemed to make no difference at all) - so in the end just set it back to standard with no rear bias as I wasn't sure it had any impact at all.

Possibly it was marginally a little louder from the rear after I'd set to 4 clicks rear bias - but at the time I don't really thing it made much difference at all.

Thanks for the info. That is something I'm trying to do now. About to add to the post 👍

1 minute ago, Gramps said:

Cheers for the info Paul. Things have moved on from my original post and I'm about to add to this one. On a completely different subject I've just ordered a baseball cap with the Porsche crest embroidered, £9 again, + any postage if I happen to get some done for any other forum members. Would that be of any interest to you? Cheers...Rob

Rob - thanks for the offer but I'll pass on the baseball cap thanks - Beanie is where I am at :)

Hi All.
In my quest to find out why the rear Bose shelf in my 987.2 appeared to not be working since fitting a Pioneer replacement for the PCM3 I've come across a really stupid problem and am looking for clarification that I'm really this stupid.
1st of all I'm halfway in confirming it myself. It appeared the Bose shelf wasn't working but following my previous post someone said that theirs was working but it was very faint. That was indeed the case with mine. With ears closer to the shelf it was indeed working but very faint, in comparison with the front speakers anyway, so much so that I obviously hadn't noticed they were working.
That led me onto where I am now. Another forum member had suggested adjusting the front/rear fade on the PCM3 before removal, I had centred it before removal. So I thought I'd reconnect the PCM3 and adjust the front/rear fade to the rear to see if it made any difference. 
This where I'm stumped. The optical connector from the amp does not fit into the back of the PCM3??? You can see on the connector that latches into the PCM3 that is has a chamfered corner, whereas the optical connector from the amp does not, and the connector is physically too large!! Am I missing an optical interface lead that goes between the 2?? I've looked all through everything I have that had anything to do with the swap and no lead there. I can't find any relevant pics or info on the web so I'm hoping someone here will be able to enlighten me. I'm totally willing to accept any deserved ridicule.
Cheers..Rob

51173126725_90de665861_z.jpg

51171356522_66d23b81a6_z.jpg

51173126305_77d3dc3bc2_z.jpg

3 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Rob - thanks for the offer but I'll pass on the baseball cap thanks - Beanie is where I am at :)

No worries. Beanie is a tad to warm for the summer and thought a cap with a peak for those sunny summer days to come 🌞. Maybe you can help with any info on what I've just posted? 🙂

Where's the MOST adapter in the puzzle? - previously fibre would have gone to head unit, now it must goto in MOST adapter - so maybe the glass you are looking at it the out from there, rather than the previous "in" if that makes sense.

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

Where's the MOST adapter in the puzzle? - previously fibre would have gone to head unit, now it must goto in MOST adapter - so maybe the glass you are looking at it the out from there, rather than the previous "in" if that makes sense.

That is the PCM3 and the original wiring harness, for some reason the optic connector from the amp does not fit back into the PCM3 from whence it came??? I'm obviously missing something. Ideally I'm after a pic of the back of the PCM3 with connectors all in, but can't find one anywhere 😌

4 minutes ago, Gramps said:

That is the PCM3 and the original wiring harness, for some reason the optic connector from the amp does not fit back into the PCM3 from whence it came??? I'm obviously missing something. Ideally I'm after a pic of the back of the PCM3 with connectors all in, but can't find one anywhere 😌

Hiya, I could be wrong but it looks like when you have taken out the optical connection from the MOST adapter, it has come away with part of the MOST housing / sleeve too. I think this might have also happened with mine and you do still have the wires you need with the right connector to fit back in to the PCM3, you just need to remove the extra cover part that it slotted in to in the MOST unit.

Let me know how it goes with trying to adjust the fader on the PCM and switching back, as I tried 3 times but couldn't really hear much / any difference.

4 minutes ago, Babaa said:

Hiya, I could be wrong but it looks like when you have taken out the optical connection from the MOST adapter, it has come away with part of the MOST housing / sleeve too. I think this might have also happened with mine and you do still have the wires you need with the right connector to fit back in to the PCM3, you just need to remove the extra cover part that it slotted in to in the MOST unit.

Let me know how it goes with trying to adjust the fader on the PCM and switching back, as I tried 3 times but couldn't really hear much / any difference.

Ah, that does ring a bell. You could be right. will go and check now 👍

44 minutes ago, Babaa said:

Top man Babaa 👍👍. That was it 😃. So I swapped the units over a couple of times with the F/R fader set to full rear and full front and it made naff all difference to the sound level out of the rear shelf. It is there but I'd say it was only 10-20% of the front. Looks like I'll just have to live with it as is. As I said earlier it still sounds good so not the end of the world

.51172136556_1678eb90b8_z.jpg   

19 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Top man Babaa 👍👍. That was it 😃. So I swapped the units over a couple of times with the F/R fader set to full rear and full front and it made naff all difference to the sound level out of the rear shelf. It is there but I'd say it was only 10-20% of the front. Looks like I'll just have to live with it as is. As I said earlier it still sounds good so not the end of the world

.51172136556_1678eb90b8_z.jpg   

The fader comment woke up some neurons in the back of my head, see bit in bold below.

https://incartec.co.uk/product/MOST-fibre-optic-BOSE-amplifier-retention-interface-Porsche-Boxster-Cayman-911-cars-23-240

"The interface connects at the back of the radio, it takes the phono audio output from the new radio and converts it to a digital signal that works with the original Bose amplifier. Note, the front to rear fade feature will be lost."

Edited by iborguk

5 minutes ago, Paul P said:

anything to try with AudioPilot ? Turn it off if it's on .....

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/so-what-does-the-audio-pilot-ap-do-i-cant-tell.95210/

Can't remember on PCM 3.0 whether there is a surround sound setting ? Tried turning that off too if it exists. I found that improved the Bose Shelf performance on my .1 (made it louder)

37 minutes ago, iborguk said:

The fader comment woke up some neurons in the back of my head, see bit in bold below.

https://incartec.co.uk/product/MOST-fibre-optic-BOSE-amplifier-retention-interface-Porsche-Boxster-Cayman-911-cars-23-240

"The interface connects at the back of the radio, it takes the phono audio output from the new radio and converts it to a digital signal that works with the original Bose amplifier. Note, the front to rear fade feature will be lost."

Hi Iborguk. Thanks for the input. I was aware of that but like I mentioned at the beginning I wasn't expecting to lose the rear completely, and now in hindsight I can see that I haven't. Maybe the answer is out there somewhere. I'll have a look into what Paul mentioned above 👍

2 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Hi Iborguk. Thanks for the input. I was aware of that but like I mentioned at the beginning I wasn't expecting to lose the rear completely, and now in hindsight I can see that I haven't. Maybe the answer is out there somewhere. I'll have a look into what Paul mentioned above 👍

Sure I geddit re the total loss comment, just remembered that the fade functionality itself is lost if you weren't aware. Also have a look at the surround setting, if that is indeed a thing...