My Box now has a built in Warranty

alank

Just realised that my car is now producing its own warranty , or repair slush bucket.  I went on We Buy Any Car just out of interest and it came back with a figure of £35k, i did £33k , last March. So in theory i could get a £2k repair done and still be in pocket.  God i must be bored!!, need to get out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alank said:

Just realised that my car is now producing its own warranty , or repair slush bucket.  I went on We Buy Any Car just out of interest and it came back with a figure of £35k, i did £33k , last March. So in theory i could get a £2k repair done and still be in pocket.  God i must be bored!!, need to get out. 

😂😂😂 Funny thing I did the same last night and my WBAC price has also gone up considerably since the last quote. It’s only the 2.7 and they value it at close to 29k. I only bought it last June (private sale)for £23600 😳😳👍

Edited by Ringmaster999

Out of curiosity just had MY 2014 2.7 981 valued at £31,000 by WBAC.  Which if honoured means it’s only depreciated 36% over 7 years or £2450 pa or less than £50 per week😄. Happy days and no I’m not selling🥳.

The market does seem strange at the moment. There's a boxster on the official Porsche site that is a model year older than mine, with a few thousand miles more than mine and with a lesser spec for £5k more than I paid last September. Long may it last!

I wonder if WBAC have ever paid the actual price they quote, despite their so called "guarantee".  Last year I took along a little Honda and the WBAC guy said it was even better than I'd described to them but yet the price was still lower.  He tried to add some other options to bump the price back to what they quoted but couldn't get there, was apologetic and a bit embarrassed that the computer said no.

There does seem to be a general lift across the board since last year, not just 981, not just Porsche for that matter - other brands showing similar it seems.

I'm sure WBAC is ok if your car is immaculate.  If there is any sign of dust, they'll knock off £150 a spec.  Had almost that level of extreme experience when I had to sell through probate.  They had to pull the keys from my (not quite dead yet) hands! 

In terms of pricing, the most extreme 981 case I've seen has been a 2015 Viper Green CGTS that went up for sale this week at £58k at Leicester OPC.  That would have been pretty much its sale price brand new.

Sold already. 

5 hours ago, moospeed said:

I wonder if WBAC have ever paid the actual price they quote, despite their so called "guarantee".  Last year I took along a little Honda and the WBAC guy said it was even better than I'd described to them but yet the price was still lower.  He tried to add some other options to bump the price back to what they quoted but couldn't get there, was apologetic and a bit embarrassed that the computer said no.

There does seem to be a general lift across the board since last year, not just 981, not just Porsche for that matter - other brands showing similar it seems.

IIRC our own @Paul O sold his 997 convertible for the exact price quoted.

Also and again IIRC he was happy with the deal and service.

2 hours ago, EXY said:

IIRC our own @Paul O sold his 997 convertible for the exact price quoted.

Also and again IIRC he was happy with the deal and service.

Have to admit, I can't remember if it was exact or not, but it wasn't far off if not. My neighbour also sold his 911 to them and got the price quoted. My auntie used them for one of her cars and they knocked off £1. 

So they aren't always bad, but you have to be honest about the condition of your car. If you don't declare those stone chips, and that scratch, and those tatty wheels on the quote, you can't be surprised when they knock the price down for all of those points. This is typically where people fall fowl of the system.

The quote for our Puma is about £1k off retail prices at the minute, which is only £500 less than what I'd hope to get private. I'd expect to get full quote price for that as there is zero damage or stone chips.

:)

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 7:33 PM, Kevin G said:

Out of curiosity just had MY 2014 2.7 981 valued at £31,000 by WBAC.  Which if honoured means it’s only depreciated 36% over 7 years or £2450 pa or less than £50 per week😄. Happy days and no I’m not selling🥳.

Ooh, WBAC has just told me mine has increased in value to £32,000! At this rate it’ll soon be worth more than I paid for it😂