Foglights and vent slats refurb

Gramps

So having done the lens' a short while ago the vent slats clearly looked like they needed doing as they'd obviously suffered the same as the foglight lens.

So popped them off, gave them a rub down then painted with some Plasti Dip.

Could've spent a lot more time for a better result, but nobodies going to be studying them too closely down there, are they??

51162345516_d29a55eebb_z.jpg

51162591373_d24eaa86dc_z.jpg

51162345811_461f62eec3_z.jpg

Freshens it up nicely 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

Nice, what did you use on the lenses?

👍 wet & dry starting with 800 ending with 2500 then Meguiars Ultimate compound.

I did make use of my recently acquired DA polisher, I did try doing it with a block by hand but that didn't work anywhere near as well

• Thanks 1

Looks fab, out of interest, why did you not grille behind the vent slats at the same time?  

It's the done thing on the forum as it keeps debris away from the radiator/condenser and extends life there.  Only ask as I am going through the pros and cons of doing that job.

How did you find the plasti-dip, does it go on okay, there was a pic on another thread of a seal grey 987.1 with black grills that got me drooling and would lead to me doing the job on the side vents too.    

58 minutes ago, KWR73 said:

Looks fab, out of interest, why did you not grille behind the vent slats at the same time?  

It's the done thing on the forum as it keeps debris away from the radiator/condenser and extends life there.  Only ask as I am going through the pros and cons of doing that job.

How did you find the plasti-dip, does it go on okay, there was a pic on another thread of a seal grey 987.1 with black grills that got me drooling and would lead to me doing the job on the side vents too.    

Thanks. You're absolutely right re fitting grills. That is on my list of things to do. I've literally just received a plastic grill sheet to do the job. There was no benefit in doing the grills at the same time as there was no extra access in doing the slats. The slats literally just unclip making for an extremely easy job. Here's a pic of a naked slat

51165089865_9da3acbf7b_z.jpg

I had a good feel around inside the vent to try and assess the best way to fit a DIY grill and decided I'd take the bumper off, clean out any debris and set about fitting some grills then.

The Plasti Dip has a learning curve, hence why I say I could have taken longer to do a better job. I did start getting a few blobs then I realised it was because it was catching on my plastic gloves whilst sparaying and dripping from there. I did pre-warm the can before use as they advise on the videos.  

I did actually buy it to do my Boxster S badge  but I need to wait for the weather to attempt that one as I have no garage.

Re the side vents I've already covered those with carbon fibre parts. Just waiting on my CF rear spoiler on order from Germany 🙂

51164242448_1f88c33935_z.jpg 

8 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Thanks. You're absolutely right re fitting grills. That is on my list of things to do. I've literally just received a plastic grill sheet to do the job. There was no benefit in doing the grills at the same time as there was no extra access in doing the slats. The slats literally just unclip making for an extremely easy job. Here's a pic of a naked slat

51165089865_9da3acbf7b_z.jpg

I had a good feel around inside the vent to try and assess the best way to fit a DIY grill and decided I'd take the bumper off, clean out any debris and set about fitting some grills then.

The Plasti Dip has a learning curve, hence why I say I could have taken longer to do a better job. I did start getting a few blobs then I realised it was because it was catching on my plastic gloves whilst sparaying and dripping from there. I did pre-warm the can before use as they advise on the videos.  

I did actually buy it to do my Boxster S badge  but I need to wait for the weather to attempt that one as I have no garage.

Re the side vents I've already covered those with carbon fibre parts. Just waiting on my CF rear spoiler on order from Germany 🙂

51164242448_1f88c33935_z.jpg 

She is looking nice, I like the coloured centre logo on the wheels, looks like a very clean car.  I didn't realise the vent slats came off, any tricks on that?  The next free Saturday now has a job in it.

I've got the grille sheeting at home, I have enough for the bumper an a de-snorkel, is that on the list too?  

Somebody drew a stencil for the front grills, will try and find the post, as I think it is possible to fit without taking the bumper off.   

7 minutes ago, KWR73 said:

She is looking nice, I like the coloured centre logo on the wheels, looks like a very clean car.  I didn't realise the vent slats came off, any tricks on that?  The next free Saturday now has a job in it.

I've got the grille sheeting at home, I have enough for the bumper an a de-snorkel, is that on the list too?  

Somebody drew a stencil for the front grills, will try and find the post, as I think it is possible to fit without taking the bumper off.   

Already de-snorkeled. I used some aluminium mesh that my son had left here many years ago when he had his Scooby P1 and painted it black. Looks absolutely fine in there.

Just get hold of the rear of the slat and lift it up, they unclip really easily, very pleasantly surprised, I was looking for all sorts of awkward unremovable screws when it just popped off, result 👍. Be interesting to see this stencil if you find it 

Your lights have come up really well like new.

You can fit the grills on the inside without removing the bumper.

Saw it on youtube but cannot now find the link.

Make the pattern using some cardboard use that as a template to cut the insert to shape, - you only need one flip it for the other side.

remove the grill slot covers as you did to plasti-dip them.

put some thin string either end on the newly made grill looped through the new insert - have it long enough to help you position the insert, no knots though, just pass it through and back on itself.

Also prefit a couple of small cable ties and tape them in place and pre lined up with one of the grill slots. 

Slide the new grill insert in-between the bare grill slots.

Use the two loops of string to correctly position the insert against the grill slots

Tie the string off - then do up the cable ties - 

Pull out the string and refit the grill slot covers.

Regards

Glen

2 hours ago, glen wells said:

Your lights have come up really well like new.

You can fit the grills on the inside without removing the bumper.

Saw it on youtube but cannot now find the link.

Make the pattern using some cardboard use that as a template to cut the insert to shape, - you only need one flip it for the other side.

remove the grill slot covers as you did to plasti-dip them.

put some thin string either end on the newly made grill looped through the new insert - have it long enough to help you position the insert, no knots though, just pass it through and back on itself.

Also prefit a couple of small cable ties and tape them in place and pre lined up with one of the grill slots. 

Slide the new grill insert in-between the bare grill slots.

Use the two loops of string to correctly position the insert against the grill slots

Tie the string off - then do up the cable ties - 

Pull out the string and refit the grill slot covers.

Regards

Glen

Cheers Glen. I might give that a go 👍

21 hours ago, Gramps said:

That's 114 pages long 🤣. Still makes for some more interesting light reading 🙂

Doh! from me - the one I wanted to post is on about page 112, so stick in there.

"So how do you show one post and not the whole thread then?"  

1 hour ago, KWR73 said:

xEp5m5B.jpg

Copy and paste pic instead.

Would have taken me a while to get page 112 😂. Yes that is a nice tidy motor, thought it was yours for a min. I see your down my neck of the woods in East Peckham, I'm in Chelsfield. Had a scoot out to Ide Hill the other day, sadly don;t know too many places with a view, got any suggestions? Not sure how to pull out an individual section from a long post. I'm a bit new to this game

e51168647598_8058e22535_z.jpg

51169199084_b5227b715a_z.jpg

I did notice you are not too far away

Ide hill is nice, there are a couple of lovely look outs I can think of from the top of my head.  One from around Ightham Mote, that look out towards Tunbridge wells or back towards Ide Hill, and there is a little look out on Wrotham hill, facing the off ramp of J2 M20, little carpark access from a lane off that round about.  A little further down is bluebell hill, which is just of J6 of the M20 going following the signs for the M2. 

A bit further down there are some lovely views on the way down to Bodiam castle, we are lucky down this way that there are some great destinations, with some very scenic routes.  There aren't that many hills though.

• Like 1