Engine longevity

terry.

Hi all. Looking for my 1st Boxster. I'm aware of the issues surrounding the IMS, RMS & other minor problems,  but what is the expected life of a 2.5 / 2.7 / 3.2 engine assuming proper maintenance is carried out......... 200k miles or more?

I haven't seen any mention of really high mileage vehicles on the Web, so thought I would ask here.

Definitely 2.5s can hit 200k, we have a couple.

2.7-3.2 I think we have 140-160k maybe.

Boxsters are often weekend cars, or at least don't take the family, so just aren't used so much. But if you look after the usual, and are not unlucky (with chain guides, shells etc) 200+ should be quite feasible. I think there are some US owners at 300k+.

• Thanks 1

I think 200k is a reasonable target without major maintenance if it gets regular oil changes. Mine is on 155k and is running perfectly, but I’d probably expect some work on the chain guides around 200k. I’ve had oil analysis carried out and there appears to be no evidence of bearing wear so far. If the oil has been allowed to get too dirty between changes then the chain guides will wear much faster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

@the baron your 2p's worth on this?

I’ve had my car from new with a gap of ownership for about 7yrs then I bought it back, so I know most of the history, mine is a 2.5, one of the first in the 1997, and it’s now done 211000 miles, only just changed the clutch, I’ve changed the suspension and shocks and consumables but as far as engine and gearbox go it’s been very reliable.

I’m aiming for 1 million miles

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

It would be quite interesting to know dyno figures from some of the older high milers? 

I know its not a 986, but my 987.1 3.4S was apparently 295bhp from factory, had it on the dyno at 120,000 miles and it was 295.5bhp. Good old Germanic efficiancy ;)

• Like 1