My day out in a 718 Cayman S (from a 981 owner)

moospeed

⚠️ Warning - long and rambling post ahead ⚠️

I had the opportunity to spend the day in a brand new Cayman S a few weeks ago, my usual ride being the 2013 981 Boxster 2.7

I took some notes, as much for my own reference as anything.  I had been hesitant to post up in case any 718 owners took offence because (spoiler alert) I end up by saying I would still keep my car - but there is more to it than that because in nearly every way I found the 718 to be the better car 😳

This is not a review as such, I’m not a journo or even a writer in any way.  This is just a random collection waffled notes – but I thought I would do the write-up for any 981 owners interested, as the 718 is (or was) a natural upgrade consideration for me and I guess would be for others too.

I deliberately didn’t read any reviews or re-watch any of the 718 videos prior to driving it or writing this so as not to subconsciously sway what I remember from the day whilst it was all still fresh in my mind.  On the day I took in everything from motorways to twisty little B-roads

Options wise our two cars are actually very similar, both having many of the same option boxes ticked; PSE, PASM, 20”s, SportsDesign wheel, SportsChrono, etc. Out of interest, I costed up the Cayman at just under £78k in the configurator.  Mine has PTV, which I don’t know if the 718 had but with the torque-light 2.7 in mine I doubt I’ve ever troubled the LSD.

It was an almost ideal car to compare with as I wanted to try a 718, I wanted to try an 'S' and I also wanted to try a Cayman having never tried the fixed roof version before – nearly perfect comparison then. 👍

I would have preferred to try a manual as both are PDK but unlike those "driving Gods" who must have a manual for ultimate involvement, in the real world I'm happy with either choice. There are pros and cons to both for my type of usage so realistically I wouldn’t discount one of these based on the gearbox if the rest of the car fitted the bill.  I would insist on paddles if I had PDK though.

I picked up the car in bright sunshine though quite frosty feeling, in the Box I’d have even considered putting the roof down and heating up but within 20 mins of setting off it started snowing!!  I’m not scared of the mix of a bit of snow and a powerful sports car, but this did give me a timely chance to grab a coffee and take a good look around the cabin.

UxD1ofm.jpg

I liked some of the design changes, both have the extended leather and feel a lovely place to sit - exudes quality, if still not overly dramatic or exotic like a Lambo.  It is a sports car rather than a supercar after all, felt more special than any modern Audi or BMW I've sat in and not just for the view down the bonnet.  The change to horizontal rather than vertical for the stitching still works OK but I prefer the location of the Sports Chrono clock and vents in the 981.  More embedded into the dash and looks natural where they just kind of poked out on the 718.  Not keen on the grey background to the tacho either but that's a personal thing.  And why the "click a hundred times" for heating controls - turnable knobs work better, one action - job done.  That's the same on mine of course but is just plain stupid.

qaCkpAT.jpg

etRyE9I.jpg

The screen on the dash was bigger but I didn't find it any better in use really.  I thought the graphics looked like they were trying a bit too hard in fact compared with the simple messages on the old one.  I’m probably not the target audience for that kind of thing – I don’t care about connectivity and all that, during the day I only tried the radio, sat-nav and car-info screens on the motorway.  It had Bose, I don’t think mine has anything specially branded but both sound good to me – mainly the radio was off and the PSE was on.

The gauges behind the steering are the same I think?  Though I did note the turbo boost gauge which for the most part sat there mocking me with a "0.0 Bar" message.  When that perks up and indicates anything you can't look at it because there's a whole lot of "fast" going on which demands your attention more.  And as this test was the in the South East it’s not going to flicker up from zero much in traffic.

On to the wheel, the most noticeable change being the "manettino" type rotary dial to pick the sport modes.  I liked that a lot (stick one on the heater control Mr Porsche), though they could've made it a bit showier.  Also I noticed the "push to pass" type button in the middle which appeared to hold the engine in what I'm guessing was a "torque optimised" rev band.   I tried it once but I didn't find an opportunity that really needed it.  Right foot down seems to take care of that function, even in non-Sports mode it flings the car down the road.

ETZBYua.jpg

Not sure if the wheel was a smaller diameter than the 981 maybe.  It felt smaller but there's a lot more going on with it compared with the Sports Design wheel in mine so perhaps it's just more cramped.

I didn't notice any steering differences until I got back into my own car, which seemed a bit bigger but conversely it also felt a bit heavier to steer which was a bit counter-intuitive.  Maybe they increased the assistance?  I don’t know if there has been any other change to the steering, other than weight it felt the same - it’s still no Lotus but it’s massively better than most give it credit for.

I really liked the scroll-switches on the spokes, a better idea than the column stalk - seemed more intuitive and certainly quicker.  Later in the day I noticed the wheel was getting hot, it was several minutes before I could find out how I'd managed to switch on the heated steering wheel function which I didn’t know it had until that point.  A very hidden button inside the bottom spoke.  Something slightly strange was that whilst I instantly liked the 718 scroll switches and the rotary dial, when I did get back into my car I thought the uncluttered look of my wheel was better in fact – more stylish with the simplicity maybe.

j0mRs6e.jpg

The seats in this 718 were the 14-way adjustable option.  After a few hours and trying to find a good position I’d picked up a back ache.  Something I have never had in my own seats without all these other adjustments.  Also, and I know this is down to my not knowing but every time I left the car and got back in the seat would wind itself right back.  Every single time I had to re-adjust it back to where I’d left it.  Very tedious by the 3rd or 4th time, I am sure there must be a setting for it to leave the seat where it is but why not just default to keeping the seat to where you left it?  Seems obvious to me.

I know a lot of owners don’t like eco-features such as stop-start and the coasting feature.  I’m a bit of a hippy in this respect (though without hair or flares, maybe a bit of tree-hugging) and I like that sort of thing for when I’m not in a hooning mode.

I noticed that it behaved differently in the new car, it had lost the coasting ability (i.e. off the throttle and engine dropping to idle) . I don’t understand  why they would have taken that away.  However, in traffic I noticed that it cut the engine as it was coming up to a halt rather than having to wait for the car to stop which was pretty cool.  It always seemed to do it at exactly the right time, well done Porsche programmers.  I would have thought they could do a combination of those features and have the engine fully off as the coasting feature, as long as there was enough vacuum for the brakes, the leccy steering doesn’t need the engine running… 40mpg for the cruise to the Alps and 14mpg once there?  Sounds good to me…

eYtRWTs.jpg

For noting the Boxster/Cayman differences - my first time in this shape Cayman but for some reason I expected there to be significantly more space behind the seats on the parcel/shelf area.  Without being able to tether parcels down I wouldn't want to put anything up there.

That could be deliberate I guess. The rearward vision "over the shoulder" seemed improved in the Cayman (comparing with roof up in the Boxster obviously) and generally felt more airy looking behind.  Can't get more airy than a Boxster roof down as there's literally air in the way when doing that "lifesaver" look.

UfGtFlv.jpg

One thing I really didn't like was with the driver’s window open there was a fair bit of air buffeting, cured with cracking the passenger window a little to offset it.

But at one point whilst I had both windows fully down trying desperately to hear some engine noise and once I'd got to erm... the national speed limit (maybe a few mph over)... it felt like the rear window wanted to blow out - the buffeting was extreme and unbearable.  Raising the pax window a bit to create a pressure difference did the trick again but wow – for a few seconds I thought something had gone seriously wrong.

On to that engine and that exhaust noise now... much has been said about this and the 6 to 4 cylinder drop, but it was the first time I've had a proper go to form an opinion.  And sorry to be boring and no different in this respect, but those reviews weren't lying, the sound was really a big disappointment :(

On starting up there was quite a beefy bark initially but even with the PSE being left on all day but it sounded very muted compared to mine, and I think mine is pretty subtle as it goes (ignoring the snap-crackle-pop).  And it’s not just those pops and crackles you get on the 981 that I missed, even without that it's just not a quality sound at all.

Where the 981 sounds creamy and interesting with differing tones to a wail at higher revs, this just sounded flat nearly all the time and sometimes even agricultural.  Shades of Subaru at lower revs if you really strain your ears to listen out for anything at all, and at the other end of the rev band it's starting to get more interesting but still really so quiet - maybe due to tighter emissions controls and the fact it's also a fixed and solid roof?  I would point out that I'm 50% deaf in my right ear but I'm not more deaf when stepping from my car to this one.

On the plus side - this lump has some chunky fat torque which obviously makes it feel significantly faster.  Well, it is significantly faster.  I know I'm comparing against the 2.7 which is light on torque and that a comparison with the 981 3.4S would be more relevant - but the way this car just sucked up the road was excellent.  I've driven cars with higher bhp/ton but this was really quite impressive and wowed me.  For road use I don't think I could've used any more power more effectively.  It was certainly more confidence inspiring for country lane overtakes. I liked that.  A lot.

Those red-painted S brakes look quite a bit chunkier than mine but then I've never found mine to be wanting in any way so no difference for road-use.  Maybe the difference is pronounced on a track day, which I don’t do any more.

jvk5PS7.jpg

Looks-wise I do actually prefer the Cayman, in fact I prefer the old-shape 987 Cayman even more.

The roof down Boxster looks great from lower down but the fact the roof is still partly on show when it is down looks a bit shoddy, needs a body-coloured hard cover ideally.  A Fiat Barchetta is better in this respect.  So... I prefer the coupe look but having now tried one I really couldn't live with the fact that it seems to block so much of the exhaust noise and that that horrible buffeting would make a Cayman an unlikely change for me unless it was to have it as a daily and not as a toy for weekend kicks.  I’ve dropped the Cayman R off my “potentials” list for now.

sM0G3VR.jpg

I would however definitely consider the upgrade to the S in the future.

I don’t find mine slow at all, in fact it really can hustle and is more exciting to get it there and use those revs,  but that devil on the shoulder is always tempting you with more power more power more power.  If I was oop-North rather than daaan-Sarf with more ready access to blat-worthy roads I’d be looking to change right now I reckon.

I did appreciate the incremental improvements from 718 to 981, however it did keep coming back to that engine noise which started off disappointing and then as the day carried on the disappointment just increased and ultimately frustrated.

I found the engine to be quite coarse and completely lacking that trademark Porsche sound.  The 718 sounded promising on the start-up "bark" but that's about it.  Why why why do this Porsche?  Shrink to a 2.0 6-cyl turbo, don't just take a hacksaw to the crank...

Even though I know it’s a “better car”, I can honestly say that if both cars were the same price and sat side-by-side I'd still pick my one based on the engine alone.  Totally true statement and I actually find that a bit disappointing to be honest.

The aural experience of a sports car makes up such a percentage of the overall package for me that it simply can't be ignored.

If I hadn’t experienced that six cylinder then I can see how you'd accept the four maybe but it’s not even an interesting 4-cylinder noise.  I’m a sucker for an interesting engine but aside from that power delivery I just didn’t find it interesting.

If I suddenly got rich enough to have one as a daily as a main car whilst keeping the classic or  supercar in the garage for weekends then it would be fantastic.  But for me right now simply having a Porsche at all is something special and I only have space for one special car in my life right now - that 718 engine just makes it less special than the 981 to me.

If this sounds a bit of a downer it isn't supposed to, I was very grateful for this opportunity and it's probably been my best day for the past year.  It's a shame I didn't come away from it thinking "I need that in my life, how do I get that much money together?", perhaps it's for the best for my bank balance and marriage as I'd probably need to start saving for that 4.0 GTS if I ever wanted to upgrade to the 718 !!

Thanks for reading, and well done if you made it this far without smashing the screen.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Interesting read and I don’t think you will upset anyone, just your personal thoughts and opinion. 
Ive never driven a 718 but I’ve seen plenty about where I’ve been working and your thoughts are pretty common in the motor trade.

I think the styling of the body is excellent but I couldn’t imagine a Porsche with out the signature engine bark😫

Nice to read thanks for sharing. I've driven my fair share of these and there are some improvements, the steering is a little better no more feel bit maybe slightly less unnatural, prefer the smaller steering wheel too. I prefer the infotainment though it's a step forward but slightly less user friendly.

They have tightened up the back end which I like, it feels more direct when you turn in, but the negative is that it rides a bit more firmly as a result.

Traction has become an issue in the wet moreso with the S but that's to be expected and there is some throttle lag at times.

I think the cabin is strangely less refined than before too but that could be done to the tyres.

Engine sound, hmmm I could live with it but can't accept it after having an 981. Why should I!

I'd like one day to attempt swapping in a steering rack from one of these and the steering wheel to go with it.

👍

Very good review 👍

The only thing I would add is that turbo lag was also a big factor for me........its not unique to the 718 but by the move to FI in any car....you can;t get around physics, hit those B road bends and it becomes much more of an issue for me........I had one for 3 days and took it back early ........in summary as you say lots of improvements over the 981 but more than offset by the engine sound and FI driving characteristics for me ........and a lot of others.........Porsche admitted their mistake when they fitted 6 cylinders back in 😉

Nice write up, like you I found it to be a better car overall but with the same drawbacks. One I noticed was it felt like they had put the paddles further away from a natural hand position, just had to reach slightly to use them rather than in my 981 where they are just in the right place and more natural. As for the lag, not as bad in the 718S as in the 718 but still noticeable and off putting.

3 hours ago, moospeed said:

Looks-wise I do actually prefer the Cayman, in fact I prefer the old-shape 987 Cayman even more

Good to hear I'm not the only one that think the same as this :)

Edited by CMA

Only had a go in a 2.0 718 (both Boxster and Cayman) when looking to move on from a 2.7 987, pretty much agree with everything you've said though - I found it good to drive but a little agricultural sounding. Better experience in the 718 PDK than the manual, but I think that was just down to that particular manual and the 987 I'd got used to driving (that had a super heavy clutch so I kept on stalling!!). I'm happy with my 981, and have opted to stay with it after trying an Aston. The Aston did sound better though.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive write up. I have heard 718s compared to he flat 6 and cannot see me changing my 981s anytime soon. That flat 6 is what drew me in to start with aside from handling, looks etc etc.

Yeah I think the 987 Cayman shape is just more "svelte" to my eyes.

I pass by an old Cayman S and a 718 Cayman T on my dog walk so get to have another look regularly.  Though the T is all black and does look quite purposeful it has to be said.

While my 981 base Boxster was in for its six year service we were kindly loaned a 718 base Boxster for the day. Some of the points Moospeed picked up on I would echo, the steering in the 718 is lighter and seems a little more 'edgy', the wheel, whilst being well thought out and using the controls on the steering wheel is logical, it seemed to me that the pdk paddles are smaller. The loaner was on Pirellis P-Zeros whilst I have Michelin PS4S, I don't know if that has any influence on our observations. 

The interior is trimmed to a higher specification with more leather although the seats were the basic variety unlike my 18 ways. After a few hours both my wife and I felt uncomfortable, we felt nauseous which we put down to the slightly firm ride of the 718 which seemed unsettled and nervous on the road, it was a pleasure to get back into my car with its more composed ride, better weighted steering wheel and more comfortable experience, the icing on the cake was having my flat six howling away again behind us, our car has almost 30k on the clock so no doubt the suspension has lost some of its original tautness.

We have had a base 718 Cayman previously as a loan car in which we didn't notice any of the unpleasantness observed in the Boxster, making this all the more peculiar.

I am sticking with the car we love and extended the warranty for three years as a sign of my commitment 🙂

Edited by tailslides

• 2 weeks later...

The experience you have with all of these cars is, in my opinion, massively dependent on spec. If you just want to enjoy bimbling about, roof down on the off sunny morning, then frankly any Boxster can do that and leave you feeling good about life and the world. I’ve had 986S and 987S both brand new and used. The 981 is better than either as I’d expect it to be. Certainly better looking- never cared for the look of the headlights or side intakes on the 987 - preferred the earlier car. 981 is still pretty but really needs 20’s to look it’s best. Even then, the DRL’s on the 718 are better integrated, the hood profile when raised looks sleeker and the rear is again an improvement over 981. Is expect the in car tech to be superior as well.

On start up the 718S sounds shouty but it is, as Moospeed says, a bit of a one note chorus. Counters by being and feeling really quick though. 
Had a nice run out in my Boxster earlier. It had been out of action for a fortnight on account of the steering rack failing. Appalling for that to happen on a well looked after car with 15k and not uncommon either. Anyway, when you fly without the shield of extended warranty sometimes you take a missile hit. I’m hoping this was mine. 
I’ve long fancied a modern Elise and I have the opportunity to swap to my dream spec car in the next few weeks by selling the 981. Whilst I thought I really wanted to do this- the 981 is a second car and the Elise has more purpose to it and feels more special for a Sunday drive, I find myself not feeling passionate about actually making the change. The 981 isn’t as good as the Elise on a B road at 7am on a Sunday morning, but it’s so much better everywhere else. Lots of thinking to do next week

On 6/6/2021 at 10:56 PM, highway said:

...The 981 isn’t as good as the Elise on a B road at 7am on a Sunday morning, but it’s so much better everywhere else. Lots of thinking to do next week

Yeah, on seloc years ago I'd discounted getting a Boxster when trying out two 986 "S" models and admittedly I called them dull at the time.  Compared to the Sport 160 and 280bhp S1 Elise I was coming from they were just too sensible.

You saw my more recent Sport 160 highway so you know they're a bit of a raw and rare beast - the pre-covid plan was to change to a car which could carry myself and my 76 year old dad down to the Alps for a jolly.  Wouldn't have been anywhere near as jolly in the Elise...

Happy I made the right choice for now, in fact the perfect choice for it I think.  The Elise was great for 95% of the time but that's only because all I ever did was those early Sunday morning blats.  I've now clocked up 3 years worth of Elise mileage in 9 months in the Box, and it's still only really used for fun drives :D

I thought this would be a stop-gap for a few years until I got back into another Elise but now I'm not so sure.  It's good to have more fun time behind the wheel and it seems much more readily accessible in this.